Looks like Jim's gonna have his hands full at Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like Jim's gonna have his hands full at Ohio

Men's Basketball: Invitational costs add to Athletic Department’s budget deficit
    Published: Friday, April 11, 2008
    Last Modified: Friday, April 11, 2008, 11:04:25am

Dylan Scott / Staff Writer / ds783006@ohiou.edu

The Ohio men’s basketball program lost $55,000 in the inaugural College Basketball Invitational, whose organizers now face questions about the integrity of the tournament’s selection. Ohio was one of eight schools that paid $60,000 to host a first-round game in the College Basketball Invitational (CBI), which was organized by the Gazelle Group. The Bobcats triumphed over Brown University, 80-74, but in front of a crowd of 1,169 – the smallest crowd in The Convo all season by almost 1,000.

The CBI’s costs added to the Athletics Department’s $700,000 budget deficit. In addition to the $60,000 home game guarantee, Ohio paid $1,000 to host the game. After about $6,100 in “gate fees” were collected at the game, Ohio was left to figure out how it’d pay the remaining $55,000 it owed the Gazelle Group.The Ohio athletic department’s budget for this fiscal year is about $13.5 million.

It doesn't add up that Jim left WSU for a mess of a program at Ohio. Two thought come up. The first is that he had accomplished everything possible at WSU and was ready for a new challenge. The second being that he wanted to start Football here but was hamstrung by President Beggs and thus left for a new challenge. If the second scenario is the case then the great Dr. Beggs should be tarred and feathered for allowing him to leave.

The most likely scenario is a combo of all the above with the inclusion that Beggs himself has been "cock blocked" by the BOR.

I believe both of those were factors along with his fathers health and getting closer to home.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Who's this Jim you speak of?

Comment

I suspect that his father's health is the sole reason JS left. JMHO
        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

The impression I had was the the No. 1, and by far and away the most signficant, reason Jim took the Ohio job was because of its proximity to his parents in Morgantown, WV.

If he can turn Ohio's athletic department around then down the road he sets himself up for perhaps one final shot at a BCS job.

Comment

If he wanted football, I think JS could find a better job than Ohio U; this is why I don't buy the football idea. In this new, depressing economy, it will be difficult to raise money, especially for football. I think Ohio U. will have financial problems for several years.
            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
              I suspect that his father's health is the sole reason JS left. JMHO
              Agreed.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I had hundreds of conversations with Jim Schaus over the years. Some, though not many, were about football. I certainly never had the impression that he felt hamstrung by any desire of the administration not to have football. Not in the least. Frankly, I don't think starting football was ever on Jim's to do, or even wish, list at WSU, which was fine by me.
                Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Football

Shockerman, you sound like one of the folks on here who suffers from Football Madness and views everything through that very cloudy lens. Simpler explanations of events are usually better explanations, and Spangler and TMH are far more likely to be right about why Schaus left.

Comment

Re: Looks like Jim's gonna have his hands full at Ohio

Originally posted by Shockerman
                    http://www.thepost.ohiou.edu/Articles/News/23730/

Men's Basketball: Invitational costs add to Athletic Department’s budget deficit
                    Published: Friday, April 11, 2008
                    Last Modified: Friday, April 11, 2008, 11:04:25am

Dylan Scott / Staff Writer / ds783006@ohiou.edu

The Ohio men’s basketball program lost $55,000 in the inaugural College Basketball Invitational, whose organizers now face questions about the integrity of the tournament’s selection. Ohio was one of eight schools that paid $60,000 to host a first-round game in the College Basketball Invitational (CBI), which was organized by the Gazelle Group. The Bobcats triumphed over Brown University, 80-74, but in front of a crowd of 1,169 – the smallest crowd in The Convo all season by almost 1,000.

The CBI’s costs added to the Athletics Department’s $700,000 budget deficit. In addition to the $60,000 home game guarantee, Ohio paid $1,000 to host the game. After about $6,100 in “gate fees” were collected at the game, Ohio was left to figure out how it’d pay the remaining $55,000 it owed the Gazelle Group.The Ohio athletic department’s budget for this fiscal year is about $13.5 million.

It doesn't add up that Jim left WSU for a mess of a program at Ohio. Two thought come up. The first is that he had accomplished everything possible at WSU and was ready for a new challenge. The second being that he wanted to start Football here but was hamstrung by President Beggs and thus left for a new challenge. If the second scenario is the case then the great Dr. Beggs should be tarred and feathered for allowing him to leave.

The most likely scenario is a combo of all the above with the inclusion that Beggs himself has been "#### blocked" by the BOR.
                    All conjecture, none of which is supported by facts, I suppose.

I love the expression, "Speak with facts."

Comment

Working...
                    X