No announcement yet.

KU's reaction to Sunflower articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always get a chuckle out of the "largest city in Kansas" line the Wichita natives love to throw out. Yes, it IS the largest single city entity in the state but it IS NOT the largest metro area. The Kansas side of the KC area is much larger and is one continuous metro area. I have lived about half of my live in each area and Kansas City is a much, much better place to live and work. My wife, who is from north central Kansas feels even more strongly that way. Once we sell our business here we will be moving back to NE Kansas. It will be a happy day.

Comment

Originally posted by BCSCat
      I always get a chuckle out of the "largest city in Kansas" line the Wichita natives love to throw out. Yes, it IS the largest single city entity in the state but it IS NOT the largest metro area. The Kansas side of the KC area is much larger and is one continuous metro area. I have lived about half of my live in each area and Kansas City is a much, much better place to live and work. My wife, who is from north central Kansas feels even more strongly that way. Once we sell our business here we will be moving back to NE Kansas. It will be a happy day.
      See ya!
      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by BCSCat
        I have lived about half of my live in each area and Kansas City is a much, much better place to live and work. My wife, who is from north central Kansas feels even more strongly that way.
        In your opinion. Which isn't any more significant than anyone else's.

I heppen to think that living in a town of under 1500 within a 15-minute drive of a town of 40k is much better than living within rush-hour distance of a metro area.

Quality of life is too subjective to argue about.

Thus, I :roll: whenever I hear someone degrade a place they don't live or like. It's such a narrow, ignorant and intolerant perspective.

Comment

I have a friend who spent the past 5 or 6 years in the KC area and couldn't wait to get back down here. He said KC had some things to offer that ICT doesn't but the cost of living and the people are better here. In his view anyway. As Royal said, it all varies depending on ones view and what they want or need.

Personally I live in a town of about a 1000. 5 minutes from a town of 9500, 15 minutes from one of 8700 and another of 12,700. And about 10 minutes from one of 357,500. It all offers what I need and what I want without all the traffic and crowds of KC. That's the way I like it.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

After this, I promise to stop beating a dead horse.

I agree with Royal that it is largely subjective and depends on your priorities. What I as the head of a household would find appealing about a place is different from a single guy, etc.

However, I find it difficult to believe that anyone truly thinks Kansas City is the greatest city on earth. There are some good things about living here, i.e. great schools, low crime, family friendly. But I don't think I've ever seen a city quite as poorly planned as this one. The sprawl here is unreal (1300 per square mile as opposed to 2640 for Wichita and 6400 for St. Louis, and that's just in the city itself. It's worse in the 'burbs,), the traffic is crap because of the sprawl and the utter lack of mass transit, and taxes are just ridiculous. There's only so much barbecue you can eat before you get down to the business end of making a place home! If you were going to live in a place with all those problems, it seems to me you'd choose Dallas. At least there you have a ton of stuff to do.

I cannot believe I just typed all of that only to have someone inevitably tell me to move! I can't control the job or the wife, so I'm doubly screwed!

Comment

Kansas City is nice. I prefer Wichita over KC. I understand why some others might choose differently.

Wichita is a large city and has large city attributes (good and bad) that Johnson County will never have.

BCSCat, my point is why do Kansans, particulalry KU fans, spend time putting down the State's largest city? What's the point and satisfaction of this? What is your hometown?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                Kansas City is nice. I prefer Wichita over KC. I understand why some others might choose differently.

Wichita is a large city and has large city attributes (good and bad) that Johnson County will never have.

BCSCat, my point is why do Kansans, particulalry KU fans, spend time putting down the State's largest city? What's the point and satisfaction of this? What is your hometown?
                I know your question is probably rhetorical, but insulting the city rather than the argument is the base level debate tactic those either too unintelligent to derive anything more substantial that would actually combat the opposing points, or too lost in their own groupthink to realize what they've succumbed to, always seem to divert to.

It's been around since the dawn of man. If the Internet was around in 10,000 BC, sites would be filled with "Gerd's tribe may have a point about us killing all these mammoths and saber tooth tigers, but.... ummm..... well.... their cave's only half the size of ours! BURN!!!"
                The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC

JOCO 's pretty big! 8) 8) 8)
                  I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy23
                    Originally posted by tw805
                    Originally posted by Indy23

As for the second paragraph, you're a terrible representative of WSU. Classy individual you must be. You know all those posts on Phog insulting WSU. You're one of the reasons they're doing it. Keep it up.
                    I wouldn't know what's going on at the KU board, because unlike you, I don't troll other school's boards. I've never posted a thing on a KU board, so I highly doubt they're being a-holes because of me, despite your contentions. They're probably just being that way because that's how KU fans always are.

I have no idea how I am "representing" WSU. I gave my own opinion on the board that represents my alma mater, and you responded by telling me to get the hell out, of KC etc. Since I am on my home board, and you are not, it seems to me that you are the only one representing a fan base. On that level, you're doing a fine job of meeting general expectations for KU fans.

By the way, you're right. ESPN gameplan does equal being on big Monday every week. :roll:
                    LOL.

From KUathletics.com:

All 31 University of Kansas men's basketball games in 2007-08 will be televised nationally, Kansas Athletics announced Friday. The schedule includes:

Two games on CBS
                    12 on ESPN, including four on Big Monday, three of which are in Allen Fieldhouse
                    One on ABC
                    One each on ESPN 2 and ESPNU, and
                    One on Fox Sports Net.

Of the remaining 13 games, three will air on ESPN Plus as part of the Big 12 Conference regional package and 10 will air on the Jayhawk Television Network. All 13 of these games will air on ESPN Full Court

As for the rest of your post, I'd hope you'd have the chance to meet some of the KU alumni and students I know, because I think you would find out that some of your assumptions about KU fans aren't always accurate. Sure KU has it's share of stinkers. Every school does. And I hope you find some fun things about Kansas City, like the barbeque, jazz scene, Sprint Center, the Plaza, because it's a beautiful city.
                    do u want a cookie for this or ?????
                    "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
                    CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

• Originally posted by BCSCat
                      How is moving back to cosmopolitan rich Kansas City gonna make any sense for some hick graduate of Aggie Tech University?

And for the record, based on previous posts, your opinion on anything has zero credibility. Thanks for playing.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• It will be a happy day because he will be in a place where his beliefs are reinforced, not challenged.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCSCat
                          Good for you! It will be a happy day for the community when you leave that trailer park out west between ICT and Goddard. Good luck adapting in JoCo.

Comment

Working...
                          X