What do you want out of our next AD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you want out of our next AD?

Now that Jim is gone we have to turn our attention to the job at hand.

Who takes over, and more importantly, what qualities are you looking for in the person we hire and what would you like to see first on the list of "to do"?

Jim, thanks for all you've done and all you've given to WSU. The true measure of success in the workplace is did you leave with your employer in a better position than when you arrived?

By any measure, and any opinion, the answer for you is a resounding YES!

We wish you the best in all that life has to give and offer our support as you are with your family and help care for your father. You will ALWAYS have friends in Wichita.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Set up a plan for football to return. Maybe just to set in motion some plan for it.

Comment

I want someone that shares many of the same qualities as Shaus. Is that asking too much? :D

I would like to see someone actually do research into football and what it'd actually take and all that jazz. Although by all accounts Beggs isn't a fan of it.

I want someone who won't come in and try to put his stamp on things as soon as he can like many do. We have very successful athletic programs that don't need much if any tampering with. I don't keep a close eye on all of the "lesser" sports but I don't recall any coaching changes needing to be made now that Jane is gone.

We obviously need someone who's hungry though and will continue to grow the product we have and expand our influence throughout the region.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Jim Schauses clone...

Comment

I'm a firm believer that without football Wichita State will be considered "third tier" in college athletics (non-bcs w/out football) and we'll continue to lose quality folks because of it. Of course, with all things in life there is a rub, so with football what is the cost (not necessarily in dollars)?

Jim bettering himself has confirmed my fear that Wichita State is in a vicious catch-22.

All the best to the Schaus's.

Go Shocks!!!!
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I would like someone who can tap into and utilize the passion, knowledge and abilities of Shocker alumni to make the University and athletic department even better than they are now.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock
              I'm a firm believer that without football Wichita State will be considered "third tier" in college athletics (non-bcs w/out football) and we'll continue to lose quality folks because of it. Of course, with all things in life there is a rub, so with football what is the cost (not necessarily in dollars)?

Jim bettering himself has confirmed my fear that Wichita State is in a vicious catch-22.

Go Shocks!!!!
              As was said in another thread, one of the main reasons Schaus listed for leaving was to be near his father whose health is failing. I hardly see that as a sign upgrade was the major push behind his departure and that WSU needs football to compete.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

But Shaus has looked to leave in the past and football is the big reason for that. His fathers health is definitely a factor but football has been as well.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I want an AD who can get EO out of Africa and find another secret year of eligibility for Matt.
                  Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                  Students > Alumni
                  If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                  The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                    But Shaus has looked to leave in the past and football is the big reason for that. His fathers health is definitely a factor but football has been as well.
                    But the question has been whether football makes even a school with less success in other programs (like Ohio) more appealing than WSU. People have assumed that Ohio is an upgrade because it has football. To the contrary, it is a downgrade in most respects (less budget, less success).

The reality is that not having football doesn't hurt us when compared to other schools in similar positions to our own because it allows us to way outspend schools like Ohio in basketball and baseball, etc.

By not having football, we can focus our resources in such away that we can support a top 25 baseball team, sweet 16 basketball team, etc.

If we added football, we risk being like Ohio, whose budget is far more stretched and whose fans have admitted have not been able to replicate the success in athletics that WSU has.

Believe me, people around the country know WSU because of CWS appearances and the Sweet 16 run. I personally know many people who recognize WSU for those things and don't even realize that we don't have football.

Think about what you know about other schools. Do you know what sports they compete in. Do you know where they finished in their conference on a yearly basis.

Or do you know what they did on a national stage in one or two sports? It is the national stage that gets recognition, and unless you think WSU is the next Boise State, adding football gets you closer to being Ohio than to being Ohio State.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

For those who want football back, you need to get the student body energized. The only way it will happen is for the students to vote in favor of an increase in student fees to subsidize the yearly costs.

Now you all can stop laughing. All those part-time and non-traditional students will vote down any increase for athletics so soon after the arena project.

But from what I've seen of the recent rescucitations and plans to restart football at other universities, it has resulted in the increase in student fees.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                        For those who want football back, you need to get the student body energized. The only way it will happen is for the students to vote in favor of an increase in student fees to subsidize the yearly costs.

Now you all can stop laughing. All those part-time and non-traditional students will vote down any increase for athletics so soon after the arena project.

But from what I've seen of the recent rescucitations and plans to restart football at other universities, it has resulted in the increase in student fees.
                        Most of the students I'm around would be ok with a football restart and the fee increases.
                        Unfortunately, few of them will run for SGA, they won't be as collectively whiny as the art department, and they don't have the Sunflower all over their.............. case.
                        Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                        Students > Alumni
                        If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                        The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock

Go Shocks!!!!

I agree with your assessment. Football is King these days and if you don't play football you can't be considered a major program.

Comment

The first part of this article reveals my initial concern and addresses what I consider to be THE most important and crucial point.

So many of our really good coaches are BIG JS fans. They have to be sold that the next AD is going to be as supportive and helpful as he was.....I shudder to think of the outcome if JS had left a few weeks earlier.

Other schools are going to be much more attractive to our stable of fine coaches. Their interest in staying at WSU has just been weakened. The next AD's PRIMARY goal should be to make sure our staff understands they have his/her total support and focus.

An AD looking to make a name for himself and shake things up would be completely disasterous at this moment in time.

Comment

Mike Kennedy is co-hosting Sports Daily this morning. I'm sure Mike doesnt' really have a lot more info than most at this point, but it will be interesting to here what he may have to say about the WSU AD situatuion.

Comment

Working...
                              X