Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio U. Fans Comments on Hiring Schaus

Interesting remarks from Bobcat fans:

I am excited about the selection of Jim Schaus. He has an impressive resume and seems to be a talented administrator. He also understands the importance of gender equity.

His father is a well-known figure in the world of basketball, Fred Schaus. Fred coached WVU, the LA Lakers and the Purdue Boilermakers. He also was the AD at WVU in the early 80s.

With Jim Schaus' background in Indiana and West Virginia, perhaps he wanted to serve in a position a little closer to home.

Wichita State athletic budget: $15,700,000 WITHOUT football
    Ohio athletic budget: $18,671,108 WITH football

Hope he knows what he's getting into...
    I really love this. The ink isn't even dry on his contract yet, and we begin speculating on what his next job will be. Sounds like we just ought to give him the title of "interim AD," since he's likely to only be here a few years. Geez!
    I'm shocked that this guy left Wichita State for Ohio. Its a step downward for sure. Amazing. Looks like a great pickup for us. He's a got his work cut out for him, that's for sure.
    Operating expenses, mens basketball:

Ohio $1.252 million
    Wichita: $3.105 million

I think Wichita spends ~5x on baseball as well.
    Let the LOVE give his assessment -

Great hire. I'm very excited about this, and I want to officially welcome Mr. Shaus to Athens. Approximately 14 years ago, another young man made his way from Kansas to Athens, and it was the best decision the LOVE ever made. On the flip-side, approximately 4 years ago, another native Kansas made his way to Athens and completely screwed up the Athletic Department that we all love so much. I present you Kirby Hocutt.

In a nutshell, I look at the hire this way -

1. Every coach in a non-revenue sport better get ready to have a fire lit under his or her ass. Shaus has overseen recent winners in golf, baseball, track, tennis, volleyball, and just about every other collegiate athletic event. Not consistent losers like the teams we produce - Winners. 15th place finishes in golf, missing the MAC baseball tournament, and our other mediocre placements aren't going to cut it anymore.

2. He cannot be any worse that Kirby Hocutt. The guy was awful. My bottle of Ice Mountain could have done a better job.

3. If our horrific basketball coach does leave (fingers crossed, praying to god) than we are in perfect hands. Mark Turgeon (former counselor at Kansas Basketball camp) was a great hire, and obviously took the Wheat Shockers to another level. We are in an equal (if not better) position for Mr. Shaus to work his magic in Athens if TOS does leave us. (Again, praying to god)

4. He'll learn football. I'm confident. But by god, if he sticks me with one more pathetic football schedule - my docile attitude will disappear very quickly. My guess is that the hire was not without Frank Solich's endorsement, so that bids equally as well for his ability to pick up football.

Look, if you can control P-card spending, put together an entertaining football and basketball schedule, keep the overall budget in check, while improving facilities - it's a pretty easy job. Hocutt was awful. Terrible. A joke. He is gone now, and the Shaus era begins. Time to wipe the slate clean and wear the Green and White with pride.

Welcome Jim Shaus. Good luck in your new position.

Bobcat LOVE
    As a personal aside, Wichita football is in some ways the opposite of Thundering Herd football -- not "Ashes to Glory" but "Ashes to Ashes." When I was at Marshall in the fall of 1970, Wichita State also had a plane crash. As I recall the WSU football team was traveling in two DC3s and, therefore, lost only about half of its team instead of practically the whole team as was the case with Marshall. There was a nationally televised benefit -- featuring some top name entertainers like Bill Cosby, Kate Smith and George Gobel -- that raised funds to help both schools after these twin tragedies. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Wichita State as a result of our common suffering back in that dreadful fall of 1970. Unfortunately, WSU never really recovered from its football plane crash.
    Overall, this seems at best a lateral move. He gets football experience, but what looks to be a much tougher fiscal environment. Listening to his news conference seems this maybe a move to get closer to home due to his father failing health.

Good luck Mr. Schaus and thanks for everything you did.

Our athletic budget's really $15.7???? wow, that's pretty good.

Comment

How many homeless people could be clothed, fed and housed for $15.7MM per year?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
        Trouble maker.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotel Paper
          Our athletic budget's really $15.7???? wow, that's pretty good.

Texas $89,313,536
          KU $58,046,960
          K-State $39,618,000

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
            With the government in charge, exactly 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker
              Originally posted by ABC

Dang it......you beat me to the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                Okay you privatize to me and I'll double your return :)
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                  And that is because 58 people will earn 60K plus per year to have meetings and present those they feel most deserving to a panel of 8 making 80K plus per year to decide which 3 people will get the benefit.

Comment

It sounds like even some of the Ohio U people think this is a step down for JS.

Comment

There isn't any secret going on here. Jim wanted to be closer to his ailing father, period, and this position as this school presented itself as a matter of convenience.

I have no doubt that Jim will be an outstanding AD for the Bobcats. Sometimes it pays to be in the right place at the right time and Ohio U certainly hit the jackpot yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                        Depends on whether they can drain the 3-pointer are hit a curve ball?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                          There isn't any secret going on here. Jim wanted to be closer to his ailing father, period, and this position as this school presented itself as a matter of convenience.

I have no doubt that Jim will be an outstanding AD for the Bobcats. Sometimes it pays to be in the right place at the right time and Ohio U certainly hit the jackpot yesterday.

I guess that is why he was trying to get the New Mexico job last year. I didn't realize that New Mexico was so close to West Virginia.

The only reason they gave last night on Channel 12 was football (of course, KWCH was into the KU national championship that I doubt if they really paid any attention to the JS story).

Comment

Originally posted by ABC

Actually that is pretty funny. :wsu_posters:

Comment

Working...
                            X