Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
    Marquette Basketball Preseason Preview: Wichita State

The question becomes if they have been overranked by KenPom because they were able to run up the score against their mid-major opponents or unfairly dismissed because of that same conference. The Shockers finally have the opportunity to answer that question as they ditched the Missouri Valley Conference for the AAC. Now, the AAC is still at the mid-major level in my opinion, but it is a significant step up in competition for the Shockers.

I thought we answered that question several times over with our play in the NCAA's. Sheesh. Seems like some will NEVER allow us to progress.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
      I thought we answered that question several times over with our play in the NCAA's. Sheesh. Seems like some will NEVER allow us to progress.
      I think the question is only partly answered, because play in a single-elimination tourney can only get you so far. We can really shut em up if we take 2 losses or less, with those being on the road down the conference portion.

Comment

• "2017-18's Top 50 Defenses: Virginia Is Set Up to Shut Everyone Else Down" - Sports Illustrated

By Dan Hanner and Chris Johnson
        October 30, 2017

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...s-virginia-ucf

"...Gregg Marshall’s recent defensive history stacks up favorably to most head coaches, and it would be a huge shock if he can’t put together another elite D given Wichita State (No. 6) returns every major contributor from last season...."

Looking at both the top Offenses and Top Defenses, Wichita State had the 2nd best overall ranking when the two ratings are averaged.
        Team Off Rank Def Rank Average
        Michigan State 5 5 5.00
        Wichita State 9 6 7.50
        Villanova 3 18 10.50
        Arizona 2 19 10.50
        Cincinnati 19 3 11.00
        Louisville 17 13 15.00
        Florida 24 7 15.50
        Kentucky 15 17 16.00
        Kansas 11 23 17.00

Comment

• rrshock
          rrshock commented
          Editing a comment
          Gonna be tough in conference with those averages.

• Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
          Potential for 8-11 games against teams in that bracket...

Comment

• It was interesting to contemplate the change in the last 5-7 years from the Shox sweating it out on Selection Sunday to see if they made it off the bubble, to seeing other teams sweating it out on Selection Sunday to see if they were able to avoid getting put into the Shox bracket.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              It was interesting to contemplate the change in the last 5-7 years from the Shox sweating it out on Selection Sunday to see if they made it off the bubble, to seeing other teams sweating it out on Selection Sunday to see if they were able to avoid getting put into the Shox bracket.
              This is a good point. Although I think both were already happening. Everyone was sweating it out to see if WSU was in the tourney, and in their bracket. It's possible, if treated fairly, highly-ranked teams will be doing less sweating, as they'll be less likely to play WSU in the first weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                It was interesting to contemplate the change in the last 5-7 years from the Shox sweating it out on Selection Sunday to see if they made it off the bubble, to seeing other teams sweating it out on Selection Sunday to see if they were able to avoid getting put into the Shox bracket.
                But if a number 1 seed in the Midwest, can not play in Wichita, correct?

Comment

• ShockerPhi
                  ShockerPhi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's correct

• "College basketball superlatives: Who’s the best of the best heading into the season?" - ESPN.COM

Joe Boozell | NCAA.com
                Last Updated - Oct 31, 2017 16:18 EDT

"Let’s bounce around the country and pinpoint what some top programs will be known for this season.

*Most exciting team: Kentucky...

*Team that’s no fun to play against: West Virginia...

*Most experienced team: Wichita State
                Wichita State returns every key piece from a 31-win team. These guys are all seniors: Rashard Kelly, Zach Brown, Darral Willis, Jr., Rauno Nurger, Shaq Morris and Conner Frankamp. For reference, Kentucky is likely to have zero juniors or seniors in its rotation this season. This kind of experience is rarely seen in college basketball. And it’s not just that they’re veterans – just because they’ve played a few years, it doesn’t automatically mean they’re good. But these guys are. The Shockers have won 30 games or more in two of the past three seasons. Of course, Wichita State moves to the AAC this year. The Shockers figure to be the best team in the conference, but they’ll need a longer attention span than they did in the MVC.Again, that’s the good thing about having experienced talent. Off-nights are few and far between. These guys are legitimate title contenders.

*Most likely team to bounce back: Oklahoma...

*Biggest wildcard: Missouri...
                *Team with the most to prove: Texas A&M..."

Comment

• "SPORTS POTPOURRI" - Gardner News (Covering Southwest Johnson County)

by Mac Stevenson
                  Oct 31, 2017

"Since Wichita State joined the American Athletic Conference, the anticipation for the upcoming season has run rampant among the Shockers’ basketball fans. Coach Gregg Marshall returns his top eight scorers and all five starters from last season’s team that posted a 31-5 record. Wichita State has been ranked in the top ten in the nation by almost all of the college basketball preseason predictions. The upcoming season isn’t without concerns: two of the top players—point guard Landry Shamet and forward Markis McDuffie—are expected to miss the start of the season. Shamet and McDuffie are hobbled with foot injuries, but both are expected to be back at full speed by the time conference play begins.

Coach Marshall fully understands the intense optimism among Wichita’s fans. He recently said, “I really try not to put too much stock in it . . . I will tell you that I’d much prefer that than to be predicted to not be very good and come in at the bottom. If I had my druthers, I’d rather be picked as a very good team. If people don’t expect much from you—you probably haven’t been very good.” Marshall’s Wichita State teams have been very good.

The Shockers open with two exhibition games: Henderson State on Saturday, Nov. 4, televised on Cox 2022 and Monday, Nov. 6 with Newman. Wichita’s regular season begins against UMKC on Friday, Nov. 10, televised by Cox 2022. Then the competition gets tougher: Wichita plays College of Charleston on Monday, Nov. 13 on CBS Sports Network and then it’s off to Hawaii for the Maui Invitational where the Shockers will play against California on Monday, Nov. 20. The Cal game will be televised nationally on ESPN2.

What a season it promises to be—Wichita is loaded with experienced talent and the Shockers have one of the best coaches in the nation."

Comment

• Teams featuring one-and-dones will continue to get a wealth of the attention in college basketball. But following a year in which experienced UNC and Gonzaga played for the title, BPI's projections are higher on the game's more veteran units.

BPI gives us a 26% chance of a Final four and 11% chance at a national title.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                      http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...tucky-wildcats

BPI gives us a 26% chance of a Final four and 11% chance at a national title.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• National title favorite according to ESPN BPI. I am so hyped someone throw a brick at me.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
                            National title favorite according to ESPN BPI. I am so hyped someone throw a brick at me.
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                            X