No announcement yet.

2017-2018 Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Wednesday. Let's take care of business. Everyone going to the game today, drive safe.

Comment

• im4wsu
      im4wsu commented
      Editing a comment
      Not going to be able to go. Just too risky from Great Bend.

• ShockTalk
      ShockTalk commented
      Editing a comment
      See ya there next time!

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    Look who WSU chose to play. Look who MSU chose to play. I'm not going to listen to all this SOS crap for 6 years and then sit and watch them give MSU a 1 or 2 seed for CHOOSING to play a schedule that WSU has been reamed for.
    Some teams are “given” good games by their conference. Some aren’t. Where do you get the idea that the committee is out there fighting injustice by giving out a bunch of extra credit for “trying” to schedule well? At the bubble, as a sort of tie-breaker? Yeah, I’ll buy that. Amongst the top teams fighting for top seeds? Where do you find any evidence that suggests they ever give that anything more than just a passing glance?

A road win over Duke is clearly given more weight than a home win over Duke. The committee has made it clear this is how they operate. However, the difference between a game on the calendar @ Duke being “chosen” or “given by its conference” to a team is not given nearly the same importance, if any at all.

Cdizzle, you and I both find scheduling a frustrating topic, but right or wrong, the committee has never made “scheduling effort” a major criteria, and I’m not sure where you get the idea that it has. It’s not that the committee has been inconsistent in its application. It’s that the committee just doesn’t use this criteria much at all amongst the top teams.

Comment

• Jamar Howard 4 President
      Jamar Howard 4 President commented
      Editing a comment
      “Wow, Team A was 5-3 vs the top 50”
      “Yeah, but their conference scheduled most of those games for them. Big deal."
      “Look at Team B, who also went 5-3 vs the top 50 and choose to schedule those games on their own. I like them a lot.”

The above conversation doesn’t happen. You can’t call the committee inconsistent in its application of a criteria that isn't one.
      Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; February 21, 2018, 12:44 PM.

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    Michigan St., who most have as a 1 or 2 seed, is 8-3 vs. Q1 and Q2 teams.

They have a non-con SOS over 300.

I guess that soft schedule stuff doesn't count for them.
    Maybe a rabbit trail, but still, where did you get MSU's non-con SOS over 300? NCAA Team Sheets show it as 244. Still not good, but substantially better than 300+.

Comment

• Cdizzle
      Cdizzle commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that number came from kenPom. Similar to Cincy.

• Just went through the nitty gritty sheets for the top 20 teams on bracket matrix and surprisingly found that we are currently slotted about where we should be. There are about 11 teams I found who I'd say have a better resume than us (Virginia, Villanova, Xavier, Kansas, Duke, Auburn, Michigan St., Purdue, North Carolina, Texas Tech, and Cincinnati), 5 that have similar resumes (Clemson, Arizona, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Ohio State), and 3 that we are clearly better than (Gonzaga, Rhode Island, and Kentucky). That would put us in the 12 (lowest 3 seed) to 17 (highest 5 seed) range. We are currently sitting at 15. If we end the season strong we could easily jump up to the 3 line.

Comment

• Face Palm just said on the pregame that if we win out and beat UC two more times, the best we would be seeded would be 3. Is that true or should I chalk it up to the source?

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
      Face Palm just said on the pregame that if we win out and beat UC two more times, the best we would be seeded would be 3. Is that true or should I chalk it up to the source?
      If we run the table we would be 28-5 with an RPI of 5 and a SOS of 27ish. Sure looks like 1 or 2 seed material to me.
      Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• ShockCrazy
        ShockCrazy commented
        Editing a comment
        I also forgot to mention to keep an eye on Marquette. They could also bump up to the top 50. They need to win out to do so, but they get @DePaul, @Georgetown, and Creighton at home(who they just beat this past weekend in Omaha).

Editing a comment
        @Steelshocker, don't forget that those resumes show WSU with 33 games while the other teams are just shown as of today and haven't been projected out to selection sunday. Maybe one or two teams in that list finish poorly, but odds are that most continue to pick up more Q1 and Q2 wins.

MSU could easily finish 31-3 (5-3, 5-0, no Q3 losses), in which case ain't no way WSU passes them at 28-5.

Even if MSU loses in the Big 10 Tourney, they end with 4 losses, likely all to teams projected as 6 seeds or higher, while WSU finishes with 5 losses, 3 of which are to teams in the NIT. The majority of scenarios the next 2 weeks have MSU with a resume that WSU cannot match, even if they win out.
        Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; February 22, 2018, 10:23 AM.

• Steeleshocker
        Steeleshocker commented
        Editing a comment
        I can agree that it would be difficult to pass MSU, and it would be futile to project everyone's future scenario. But I still think things could break right for WSU and they get a 2 seed. Much may depend on if the committee pays attention to the loss to SMU coming against a healthy Shake Milton who dropped 33 points on us in a 5 point loss.

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
      Face Palm just said on the pregame that if we win out and beat UC two more times, the best we would be seeded would be 3. Is that true or should I chalk it up to the source?
      **** him.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktheheart View Post
      A lot of games tonight that could impact our seed. Per Bracket Matrix WSU is a 4 seed.
      Current Seed per Bracket Matrix
      (1) Xavier at Georgetown
      (6) Michigan at Penn St
      (3) UNC at Syracuse
      (1) Virginia hosting Georgia Tech
      (3) Clemson at Virginia Tech
      (3) Texas Tech at Oklahoma St
      (2) Auburn hosting Alabama
      (1) Villanova hosting DePaul
      (2) Duke hosting Louisville
      (4) Tennessee hosting Florida
      Xavier beat Georgetown
      Michigan beat Penn St
      UNC beat Syracuse
      Virginia beat Georgia Tech
      Clemson lost to Virginia Tech
      Texas Tech lost to Oklahoma St

Auburn beat Alabama
      Villanova beat Depaul
      Duke beat Louisville
      Tennessee beat Florida

Comment

• Some games tonight that could impact our seed. Per Bracket Matrix WSU is a 4 seed.
        Current Seed per Bracket Matrix
        (3) Cincinnati hosting UConn
        (2) Purdue at Illinois
        (4) Arizona at Oregon St
        (6) Houston at Memphis
        (5) Gonzaga at San Diego
        (6) Arizona St at Oregon

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktheheart View Post

Xavier beat Georgetown
          Michigan beat Penn St
          UNC beat Syracuse
          Virginia beat Georgia Tech
          Clemson lost to Virginia Tech
          Texas Tech lost to Oklahoma St

Auburn beat Alabama
          Villanova beat Depaul
          Duke beat Louisville
          Tennessee beat Florida
          Great night for getting us closer to Dallas.

Comment

• I dunno, my tiny pea brain thinks we are more likely than not to get a 2 seed if we win out (big if). Part of it may depend on who we draw in the semis in Orlando (Q1 (Temple, likely UCF since this would qualify as a road game for RPI purposes) vs. Q2 (Tulsa)) in the event the long winning streak played out.

Comment

Editing a comment
              Who of the 9 teams I listed (#321.1) do you think WSU would pass? Are you that confident that WSU would be ahead of Arizona, Texas Tech, or Tennessee if any of those teams finish really strong?

I'll go with the "a scenario exists" for a 2 seed, but it seems really remote.

• Lunardi's update today puts WSU as a 3 seed (going to Dallas) in the Midwest region. I'll take it.

3 WSU/14 Belmont
            6 Florida State/11 Middle Tennessee

1 Xavier/2 Purdue

He also has KU potentially playing Creighton in the second round. I am trying to wrap my head around that one. Is IBA big enough to contain that much jackholeness?
            Last edited by WuShock16; February 22, 2018, 10:34 AM.
            78-65

Comment

• Historically speaking, what’s the chance Cretin wins game one . . . ZERO

Comment

• What is the range of potential seed as we sit right now? Worst case to best case?
              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• asiseeit
                asiseeit commented
                Editing a comment
                7 - 2

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
              He also has KU potentially playing Creighton in the second round. I am trying to wrap my head around that one. Is IBA big enough to contain that much jackholeness?
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
              X