No announcement yet.

2017-2018 Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The time to pin the NCAA hosting rules was around 2 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Axe View Post

i love the "array" error. I think once it gets fixed, we should still use it.
      Array
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

The SMU admin has a leg up on the WSU admin. Kinda sad.
        It has nothing to do with a failure of the WSU admin. It also has nothing to do with SMU's admin--it's not like they asked the Big 12 to host instead of them. You're connecting some strange dots.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

It has nothing to do with a failure of the WSU admin. It also has nothing to do with SMU's admin--it's not like they asked the Big 12 to host instead of them. You're connecting some strange dots.
          It absolutely has to do with the WSU admin. Why wouldn’t it?

When WSU has been producing protected seed type teams, I would think Marshall would like the closest possible geographic advantage. I believe it was asked of WSU to bow out and give hosting abilities solely to the Valley, but refused. Why would they do that?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Definitely some leaps. Major universities in the same city as a host site act as hosts is more of the rule rather than exception. tOSU was the host in 2015 in Columbus(not their arena nor did they play the 4 games to make them ineligible) and will do so again in 2019. Same with Seattle and Washington in the same years in fact. Lexington has hosted in the past and will do so again in the future, and of course that will be a Rupp, so they wouldn't be able to anyways. Hosting isn't done to help the program have a home game, it's as a benefit for the city and sports fans.

Comment

It absolutely has to do with the WSU admin. Why wouldn’t it?

When WSU has been producing protected seed type teams, I would think Marshall would like the closest possible geographic advantage. I believe it was asked of WSU to bow out and give hosting abilities solely to the Valley, but refused. Why would they do that?
              The only time a protected seed has played in their home city in the 1st and 2nd rounds in the modern era of hosting was Nova in Philly in 2006. It hasn't happened since, and I doubt that will change. Dayton did play at home for their first 4 game, but that's a product of Dayton being the definitive home of the first 4 and rightfully so.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post

The only time a protected seed has played in their home city in the 1st and 2nd rounds in the modern era of hosting was Nova in Philly in 2006. It hasn't happened since, and I doubt that will change. Dayton did play at home for their first 4 game, but that's a product of Dayton being the definitive home of the first 4 and rightfully so.
                How many protected seeds have had the possibility to play in their home city?
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

How many protected seeds have been able to play in their home city and were instead sent somewhere else?

lol nice job Fev

Comment

I missed Fev. The board was so boring.

Comment

I don't remember for sure, so this may be totally made up... But, I recall party of the reason for WSU not backing out was to maintain some continuity for future hosting that would be lost if they backed out and only had the Valley host.

Comment

How many protected seeds have had the possibility to play in their home city?
                        Entirely irrelevant given that bids for sites are done years in advance. I'm going to guess whenever tOSU bid they though they would have been a protected seed in 2015, given they were a 2 seed and in 2012 and 2013. Columbus was also a host in 2012, guess who wasn't there? 2 seeded tOSU, who was the host. Kentucky always expects to be a protected seed but that happened to be the year they missed the tournament in between a title and runner up. In 2008 Georgetown was a 2 seed, but again a host in DC, you don't think Georgetown at that time had the pull to make someone else host if they could play there? NC State is always a host for the Raleigh site because it is their arena this opens the door for Duke and UNC to play there. And lets note that while Chapel Hill and Durham are suburbs they aren't IN Raleigh, and that from the data is a dividing line. Same applies to OU in Norman with OKC as a host. Lets stop this silly narrative that somehow WSU will EVER play a tournament game in Wichita unless there are significant changes to how bids are handled or somehow Wichita hosts a regional or Final Four. It seems to be a very clear pattern that for the past decade the NCAA encourages major universities in hosts sites to be the host for the event.

Comment

Entirely irrelevant given that bids for sites are done years in advance. I'm going to guess whenever tOSU bid they though they would have been a protected seed in 2015, given they were a 2 seed and in 2012 and 2013. Columbus was also a host in 2012, guess who wasn't there? 2 seeded tOSU, who was the host. Kentucky always expects to be a protected seed but that happened to be the year they missed the tournament in between a title and runner up. In 2008 Georgetown was a 2 seed, but again a host in DC, you don't think Georgetown at that time had the pull to make someone else host if they could play there? NC State is always a host for the Raleigh site because it is their arena this opens the door for Duke and UNC to play there. And lets note that while Chapel Hill and Durham are suburbs they aren't IN Raleigh, and that from the data is a dividing line. Same applies to OU in Norman with OKC as a host. Lets stop this silly narrative that somehow WSU will EVER play a tournament game in Wichita unless there are significant changes to how bids are handled or somehow Wichita hosts a regional or Final Four. It seems to be a very clear pattern that for the past decade the NCAA encourages major universities in hosts sites to be the host for the event.
                          The University of Idaho is the host for Spokane, WA. The University of Idaho is not located in Spokane. A major college basketball program is located in Spokane.

And Georgetown played 15 games at the Verizon Center in 2008. That is slightly over the NCAA limit of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post

The University of Idaho is the host for Spokane, WA. The University of Idaho is not located in Spokane. A major college basketball program is located in Spokane.
                            Gonzaga didn't play there and I doubt they would have even had they been protected. It's likely Idaho explicitly wanted to host. Maybe they wanted the experience for students in all that process, I heard WSU is involving students in the organization process.

Comment

Gonzaga didn't play there and I doubt they would have even had they been protected. It's likely Idaho explicitly wanted to host. Maybe they wanted the experience for students in all that process, I heard WSU is involving students in the organization process.
                              Is there any instance of a protected seed being eligible to be placed in their home city but being sent somewhere else?

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post

Is there any instance of a protected seed being eligible to be placed in their home city but being sent somewhere else?
                                No, and I don't think that's a coincidence. Everytime a protected seed has been in the same city they have been the host. And that spans many schools, aforementioned tOSU, Louisville, Georgetown, and Iowa State. Other schools just missed the cut who weren't eligible, 5 seed Arizona in 2011, 5 seed New Mexico in 2012.

Comment

Working...
                                X