No announcement yet.

2017-18 National Poll Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rockymountainshockor ShockerPhi, I’m with you that people should be nice, and I agree that there are a lot of trolls out there. They shouldn’t do that. However, since they do, what do you propose be done about it?

I am of the opinion that people are allowed their opinion, even if they are being asses about it. If I were being “attacked” by these people I would block them and/or report them. Am I missing anything?
    Livin the dream

Comment

• ShockerPhi
      ShockerPhi commented
      Editing a comment
      Obviously nothing can be done about it. People suck. All we can do is advocate to kill hate with kindness.

• Rocky Mountain Shock
      Rocky Mountain Shock commented
      Editing a comment
      I think Twitter can do a better job of moderating their platform. Just like moderators on here give posters timeouts or ban posters for comments that are inappropriate or trollish, Twitter should be much more harsh on those that conduct themselves similarly on their platform. I understand freedom of speech concerns, but let's remember that with rights come responsibilities. As a society, we are losing our sense of personal responsibility.

• I love lamp
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I just don't understand the "soft, feely good" thing here. Especially, when dealing with anyone in the media, even sports media when they say/write something a little controversial. You'll have those that will agree and those that don't. The farther from logic or appearing to be biased, the more flack you should expect, whether from fans or others in the media.

What ever happened to the "sticks and stones ....."? With tweeter and the like, one is always exposed to knuckleheads who will be more rude. One should consider the source. If they appear to be idiots, you have to let it roll off. Criticism in an article from a peer, maybe someone you look up to or respect? Perhaps one needs to look more at themselves, what they did or did not do, or back their opinions that may seem different from "the crowd" with one's reason. The person is in the media after all and should be talented enough to do that. Still can't stand it, don't use or look at social media. Perhaps better, move on to a different career path.

As some of this centers around a female sports writer doing men's sports, she had to know of the challenges going in. I am not saying this is right, it's just the way it is, for now anyway. Hopefully, she loves her career choice enough to continue in a professional manner, which should help make these unfair challenges lessen for her and those coming on behind her. Don't let the ignorant win. Also know the difference between bullying and criticism and not confuse the two.

Comment

• pie n eye
        pie n eye commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t think some people on here fully understand the depth of anger and stupidity that exists on Twitter.

• SHOCKvalue
        SHOCKvalue commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t see the hate and vitriol that apparently runs rampant on Twitter.

I’m guessing that’s mostly due to that fact I’ve intentionally chosen not to sign up and participate in that medium.

If only a logical connection could be deduced...

• Rocky Mountain Shock
        Rocky Mountain Shock commented
        Editing a comment
        SHOCKvalue I think the point that is being lost here is that if your job means you have to maintain a presence on Twitter and/or other platforms, which for most journalists is true, then it's nearly impossible to just not participate. Sure, a random person can decide to insulate themselves in such manner, but this conversation (I think) is specific to the journalist. As a side note, I can't believe that there isn't universal agreement that some people are acting like idiots on social media and that something should be done about it. It says a lot about the current state of our civilization.

• I think she did the best thing for her. Stay with the NCAA womens poll where scrutiny is less and allow the people who want to do the research to do the men. I've seen a few really polls from biased sports writers who needed to be called out. I've never called them out myself but sometimes it is warranted. Now what happened to Higgins by the Kentucky fan base crossed the line and never should happen. But I fail to see the harm in a little criticism. After all, these sports writers don't have a job if nobody cares.

Comment

• One more issue with this...from the story, we are discussing three people: the author, the subject, and Gary Parrish. It would be incredibly helpful if we saw some of the horrible comments she’s getting from twitter and the owners of those accounts. Only at that point can one discuss what should be done about THOSE individuals. As it is now it’s just ”tweeters”. You can’t fix some systemic ghost in the machine.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us but we're not going to sit here and listen to you bad mouth the United States of America.

Comment

• I like your thoughts. Let's find Greg and set him right, in the name of Merica :)

Comment

• QUOTE=pogo;n1098065]But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us but we're not going to sit here and listen to you bad mouth the United States of America.[/QUOTE]

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• May drop out of the top ten, I guess
                Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

• We’ll fall to 12 or so

Comment

• Still got win at Houston, no easy feat

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                      QUOTE=pogo;n1098065]But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us but we're not going to sit here and listen to you bad mouth the United States of America.
                      [/QUOTE]

yeah for sure, probably 12-15

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        We’ll fall to 12 or so
                        Only if we lose at Houston.

Comment

• A loss at Houston would net a much bigger drop than 5 spots, deserved or not.

I think we will rebound and beat the fighting manbuns.

Comment

• #8 Tech lost at Texas.

A win at Houston keeps us in the Top 10.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Jamar Howard 4 President
                              Jamar Howard 4 President commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You don't think #11 Xavier would pass WSU after 2 wins this week? It's probably only 50/50 whether Xavier wins Saturday, but I think staying top 10 requires more than just a Shocker win Saturday.
                          Working...
                          X