No announcement yet.

2017-18 National Poll Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WuShock Reaper Just sitting here waiting for pollsters to start posting their votes (whistling, looking aimlessly at the ceiling, twittling my thumbs)

Comment

• We moved to 7th (from 10th) on Seth Davis' ballot.

Comment

• Seth Davis entire bracket...

Comment

• Chris Daschille has us #2 on his ballot, right behind #1 Nova. He has Cincy at #7: https://twitter.com/WBALDash (We were 3rd and CIncy was #11 on his ballot last week, Texas Tech was #10 last week, #8 this week: WVA was #2 last week and dropped to #9 this week).
          Last edited by shocker3; January 14, 2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

• Slykryck
            Slykryck commented
            Editing a comment
            Two AAC teams in the top 10 with us at #2...I like this guy.

• Originally posted by Slykryck View Post
          Seth Davis entire bracket...
          Purdue was 6th last week on his ballot, so they gained no points. WVA was 2nd last week, so they lost 3 points on his ballot. OU was 4thlast week, so they gained 1 point. Tex Tech was 9th last week so they gained the most at 5.

Comment

• I say we stay at #5 (+/- 1) in the AP Poll.

I say we move to #4 (+/- 1) in the Coach's Poll.

Comment

• "Blog: Villanova tops my new AP Top 25 ballot" - The Roanoke Times

By Mark Berman, AP Voter
              Posted: 01/14/18, 9:45pm cst

"It's time to send a new Top 25 men's basketball ballot to The Associated Press. And with West Virginia having lost on Saturday, I need a new No. 1.

More on that in a minute.

I kicked out Florida State after it lost at home to Louisville.

I booted Creighton after it lost at Xavier by 22 points. No shame in losing on the road to a ranked team, but I need to make room for some more deserving teams.

Here is the ballot.

1. Villanova (16-1) moves up a spot to No. 1 after squashing Xavier and beating St. John's. This is the first time this season I have Villanova at No. 1. Villanova has beaten Tennessee, Gonzaga and now Xavier. Next: Wed. at Georgetown and Sat. at UConn.

2. Virginia (16-1) moves up a spot to No. 2 after beating Syracuse and N.C. State. Next: Thurs. at Ga. Tech and Sunday at Wake Forest.

3. Oklahoma (14-2) moves up four spots after beating Texas Tech and getting an OT win over TCU. Good week. Now, the Sooners, Texas Tech and WVU are all 1-1 against each other, so it's hard to pick a No. 3 among them. But Oklahoma had the best week among them, so it goes here. Obviously Purdue makes a case for No. 3 as well. But Oklahoma boasts impressive wins over Texas Tech and Wichita State, plus a sweep of TCU. The Sooners go up to No. 3. Next for Oklahoma: Tues. at Kansas St. and Sat. at Oklahoma St.

4. Texas Tech (15-2) stays here after losing at Oklahoma and beating West Virginia. Next: Wed. at Texas and Sat. at Iowa St.

5. West Virginia (15-2) falls four spots after beating Baylor and losing at Texas Tech. It's hard to put WVU behind two teams it has beaten -- UV and Oklahoma. But someone in the WVU-Texas Tech-Oklahoma trio has to be No. 5, and WVU did just lose to Texas Tech. So WVU goes here. Next: a huge game Monday against Kansas, and a Sat. game with Texas.

6. Purdue (17-2) moves up a spot after winning at Michigan and Minnesota. Purdue has won 13 in a row. Next: Tues. against Wisconsin and Sat. at Iowa.

7. Wichita State (15-2) moves up a spot after winning at East Carolina and Tulsa. Next: Wed. against SMU and Sat. at Houston...."

Comment

• "College Basketball Rankings: Projected Top 25 for Week 11" - FanSided

by Connor Muldowney
                Posted: 01/14/18, 9:00pm cst

With the 10th week of the college basketball season in the books, here’s what the AP Top 25 rankings might look like for Week 11.

"1. VILLANOVA WILDCATS
                2. VIRGINIA CAVALIERS
                3. PURDUE BOILERMAKERS
                4. OKLAHOMA SOONERS
                5. WEST VIRGINIA MOUNTAINEERS
                6. WICHITA STATE SHOCKERS - 15-2, Last Week: 5
                Yes, Wichita State went unbeaten in Week 10 and the Shockers will likely drop a spot because they were tied at No. 5 overall and Purdue seemed to separate itself. The Shockers took care of East Carolina and Tulsa in Week 10 and they will have a tough road game against Houston on Saturday that could have serious implications on the American Athletic Conference title.
                7. DUKE BLUE DEVILS
                8. TEXAS TECH RED RAIDERS
                9. KANSAS JAYHAWKS
                10. MICHIGAN STATE SPARTANS...

Others:
                12. CINCINNATI BEARCATS - 15-2, Last Week: 14..."

Comment

• Dave Borges new ballot (The Shockers remain at #6 on his ballot, he moves Purdue from #7 last week up to #3 this week, OU moves up 6 spots to #7, and WVA and Texas Tech each dropped one spot from last week):

1. Villanova: Can UConn pull off the upset in Hartford on Saturday?

2. Duke: Huge showdown at Miami on Monday night.

3. Purdue: Per BPI, Boilermakers have best chance to win national title this season at 19 percent.

4. West Virginia: Morgantown will be rowdy for showdown with Kansas Monday night.

5. Virginia: Nobody plays defense anymore? You haven’t watched the Cavaliers play.

6. Wichita State: After winning prior three AAC games by average margin of 27, Shockers barely win at Tulsa

7. Oklahoma: Can we just hand the Naismith Award to Trae Young now and skip the pretenses?

8. Michigan State: Sparty’s struggled with Rutgers twice now this season. Strange.

9. Kentucky: When it’s all said and done, Wildcats could still be class of SEC.

10. Texas Tech: Red Raiders follow 10-point loss at Oklahoma with narrow home win over West Virginia.
                  Last edited by shocker3; January 15, 2018, 02:32 AM.

Comment

• Assuming this is what he submits for his ballot, Jon Rothstein has us at #2...
                    Below is the latest edition of the FanRag Sports CBB Top 25: Villanova. The Skinny: Donte DiVincenzo made a career-high six three-point ...

Comment

• Carino, DeCock and Bozich all slot us the same as last week - 7th, 8th and 5th.

Comment

• "Luke DeCock’s AP Top 25 basketball poll ballot: Week 11" - The News and Observer

BY LUKE DeCock
                        January 15, 2018 08:04 AM

The reaction to last week’s ballot from West Virginia fans wasn’t surprising, but it was educational: It was a great indication of how one very visible data point can, in otherwise reasonable people, be weighed more heavily than the totality of the evidence. I moved Virginia ahead of West Virginia despite the Mountaineers’ head-to-head win over the Cavaliers because a) it was in Morgantown and b) with half of the regular season played, that one game continued to shrink in overall importance. A preponderance of the evidence, objective and otherwise, leaned toward the Hoos. As did I.

My suspicion is a lot of voters had West Virginia ahead because not many people thought much of Virginia to start the season and there’s a certain amount of unavoiable inertia on ballots. Even though I’ve had Virginia higher than most, that was what I was trying to counteract in moving Virginia ahead. The funny thing is, if West Virginia had beaten Texas Tech on Saturday, I would have certainly considered flipping the teams again because that would have been a heck of a road win and Virginia merely took care of business against Syracuse and N.C. State.

The lesson here: Whether WV fans (or Minnesota and Arkansas fans in past weeks, who have gone suspciously quiet, hi guys!) like it or not, my ballot will always be a balance of resume, predictive metrics and personal opinion. And just to infuriate West Virginia fans, Texas Tech goes ahead of West Virginia this week despite Texas Tech losing to Oklahoma in Norman, by virtue of the Red Raiders’ home win over West Virginia. (Not because of that game specifically, but because of what the result meant to both resumes; that said, it’s not a loss I really hold against West Virginia just as I don’t hold the Oklahoma loss against Texas Tech. A bigger problem for WV is that the season-opening Texas A&M loss keeps looking worse and worse as the Aggies keep losing). Oklahoma jumps from 12 to 5, but there’s not a ton to distinguish between those three teams. It would be easy to shuffle them through those 5-6-7 spots.

The tricky decision this week was with Michigan State. If the Spartans are as good as I/we thought they were -- I had them No. 1 in the preseason -- they shouldn’t be losing at home to Michigan in the same week Rutgers took them to OT in Breslin. I still think we’ll see Sparty in San Antonio, but just like Duke, there are some issues to address there before we can be as confident of that as we probably should be.

Ohio State rockets into the poll at 18 with the fastest-improving resume in the country, not unlike Auburn last week; Nevada, one of my preseason teams to watch, gets a back in at 25 this week in part because of a dearth of competition for the spot. I’m still high on Notre Dame, but that just isn’t a top-25 team at the moment without Bonzie Colson and Matt Farrell

1. Villanova (Last week: 1)
                        2. Virginia (2)
                        3. Duke (5)
                        4. Purdue (6)
                        5. Oklahoma (12)
                        6. Texas Tech (7)
                        7. West Virginia (3)
                        8. Wichita State (8)
                        9. Michigan State (4)
                        10. Kansas (11)

Others:
                        15. Cincinnati (18)

Comment

• Originally posted by Slykryck View Post
                          Assuming this is what he submits for his ballot, Jon Rothstein has us at #2...
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Will WSU be ranked? Undoubtedly.
                            Will the number be completely meaningless? Undoubtedly.

Comment

• Can being ranked in the Top 10 AP Poll during week 11 have any meaning later on in the season? I'll let the reader decide.
                            Team Conf Final Record AP 2016-17 Week 11 Final Seed
                            Villanova Big East 32-4 1 1
                            Kansas B12 31-5 2 1
                            UCLA P12 31-5 3 3
                            Gonzaga WAC 37-2 4 1
                            Kentucky SEC 32-6 5 2
                            Baylor B12 26-8 6 3
                            Creighton Big East 24-10 7 6
                            West Virginia B12 28-9 7 4
                            North Carolina ACC 32-7 9 1
                            Florida State ACC 26-9 10 3

Comment

Working...