No announcement yet.

2017-18 National Poll Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm completely confused on how TCU can have the #16 RPI and WSU has #15 by a close margin. TCU played 1 worthwhile team. WSU put 3 Big12, and 1 ACC team in theirs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaqness View Post
      I'm completely confused on how TCU can have the #16 RPI and WSU has #15 by a close margin. TCU played 1 worthwhile team. WSU put 3 Big12, and 1 ACC team in theirs.
      Without looking at either team's opponents reords, wouldn't it depend on who those opponents have beaten or been defeated by since?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
        Without looking at either team's opponents reords, wouldn't it depend on who those opponents have beaten or been defeated by since?
        If I'm not mistaken, RPI does not consider what opponents a team beats or succumbs to, only whether they win or lose and then also what the opponents of thise opponents do, win or lose. Quality of the opponent or opponent's opponents is superfluous.
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• AndShock
          AndShock commented
          Editing a comment
          Correct.
          1. Record
          2. Opponent's record
          3. Opponent's opponent's record.

RPI is a lot simpler than people give it credit for. That's probably why we've been stuck using such an outdated formula for about 10 years too long.

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
        Quality of the opponent or opponent's opponents is superfluous.
        While that may be the way polls operate, IMO that is what makes those polls fraudulent.

Comment

• im4wsu
          im4wsu commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed

• Yeah it makes no sense for a team to move up during a week where they lost at home. At BEST, you should stay the same, and that’s exactly what I think should happen. I also think OU’s slide to 10 is too much. I think there’s a decent argument they should still be in front of us.

Comment

I'm completely confused on how TCU can have the #16 RPI and WSU has #15 by a close margin. TCU played 1 worthwhile team. WSU put 3 Big12, and 1 ACC team in theirs.
          Sometimes, one needs to set aside a school's name or conference and look at who they actually beat and have accomplished. I believe this is something that we've been wanting outsiders to do for years when looking at WSU.

WSU's best win so far is Houston. Not Baylor, OSU, or Marquette. They are all 50-100 RPI range teams. Actually, SDSU is projected to be a better Top 100 win than OSU. Houston is top 50. Both losses are also top 50, but 1 was a team more our equal, the other is "below" us in the 25-50 range.

TCU has 2 losses. The same OU team we lost to. Their other loss is KU, another Top 20 team. Hate to say it, but, yes, better losses than ours by a little bit. They also won at Baylor, one of our best wins. Their other wins are 1 Top 25 (Nevada), 2 Top 50 ( SMU and St. Bonaventure), and 3 more Top 100 (all above our next best win against UConn, just outside the Top 100). They have 2 better wins than us.

So, WSU has played 7 Top 100 teams going 5-2, best win Houston (lower Top 50) and losing to a team ranked below them on a neutral court.

TCU has played 8 Top 100 teams going 6-2, best win is Nevada, a Top 25 (higher ranked than ND, one of our losses). Also, SMU is ranked above/same as ND.

There's not that much difference at this time.

Comment

• ShockTalk
            ShockTalk commented
            Editing a comment
            No, I'm using projected RPI.

• Jamar Howard 4 President
            Jamar Howard 4 President commented
            Editing a comment
            At Baylor, due to location, is most definitely better than home to Houston.

• ShockTalk
            ShockTalk commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes. However, for this discussion, that's somewhat negated because TCU won at Baylor as well.

On the other hand, one could say TCU has matched our best win and has 3 more better wins. Yes?
            Last edited by ShockTalk; January 8, 2018, 08:11 PM.

In other words, it's about time to que the "Yeah, but we just don't know how good they really are." crowd, in about 5... 4... 3... 2...

Comment

• #1 is down by like a million to Ohio State.

Comment

• pogo
              pogo commented
              Editing a comment
              must be a high scoring game.

• I'm guessing so many teams lost this week that everyone gets a mulligan. We better at least pick up some votes from the 10-11-12 group behind us that picked up 5 losses.

Comment

Huh?!?!

Looking at RPI:
              Nevada is top 25, and St. Bonaventure is top 50. TCU beat both on a neutral court.
              SMU is top 75.
              Picked up same win at Baylor that WSU did.
              Both losses were to top 25 teams

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post

Huh?!?!

Looking at RPI:
                Nevada is top 25, and St. Bonaventure is top 50. TCU beat both on a neutral court.
                SMU is top 75.
                How's their road record?
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Editing a comment
                  Also, off topic

• Cdizzle
                  Cdizzle commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cmon Jamar. That's pretty weak for you. 1-0 in a league game deserves to be called out as something other than "undefeated."

Editing a comment
                  cdizzle, my answer of "undefeated" was meant to be as helpful and relevant as Fever's question to the discussion at hand. See my very next comment.

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post

Huh?!?!

Looking at RPI:
                SMU is top 75.
                I was just looking at non-con and the name on the jerseys. Shame on me. Still tough to swallow these ranking systems. Maybe I got a bad look at TCU but they looked Bad on the court.

Comment

Editing a comment
                  Lesson learned. Don't be like the media fools who only look at the name on the jerseys.

Editing a comment
                  KenPom has WSU 11, TCU 23, so seeing a midseason RPI saying 15 and 16 isn't bothersome to me at all.

• Seth Davis puts us at 10... Had us at 15 last week.

Comment

• Parish had move us 2 spots to 9 from 11 on today’s top 25 and one. I’m curious to see where we land on the actual poll. I would say excited, but I’ve learned to temper my expectations. Some of the pollsters are ridiculous.

Comment

• I’m fine being behind OU (who we might actually jump.) All the other 2 loss teams I think we should be ahead of (and we will probably be behind 3-4 of them.)

Comment

• Slykryck
                      Slykryck commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think OU will move up. While some voters will penalize them for the loss, they lost to a better team than most anyone else in the top 15 did. Duke , ASU and Xavier fall from top 5 replaced by WVU and UVA. Lots of spots open.
                  Working...
                  X