• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preseason AP poll is out: http://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
      Preseason AP poll is out: http://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll
      Who is the idiot that gave KU a 1st place vote ...

Comment

• AP Poll Top 10

1. Duke
        2. Michigan State
        3. Arizona
        4. Kansas
        5. Kentucky
        6. Villanova
        7. Wichita State
        8. Florida
        9. North Carolina
        10. Southern California

Comment

• ESPN BPI puts us at National Title favorite at 11%

Comment

• Lower than my opinion says we should be, and where I believe we would be with a different jersey.

Higher than I thought would actually happen last April. Much closer to 5th in points than 8th. No votes lower than 10th. There was one 2 (you're my boy, David Cobb), and a couple usual suspects at 3 (Carino, Wilner).

Apparently I need to read up on West Virginia. I don't see it.

OU, Michigan, SMU, UCF among those RV.

This is a fun site, breaking down the voters: http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/
            Last edited by Cdizzle; November 1, 2017, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• Collegepolltracker.com still shows us in the MVC.

Comment

• Array
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Who is the idiot that gave KU a 1st place vote ...
                  Doug Doughty per collegepolltracker.com

Comment

• "Why I voted Arizona No. 1 on my AP ballot" - Kansas City Star

BY JESSE NEWELL
                    NOVEMBER 01, 2017 3:41 PM

LAWRENCE

When Dave Skretta of the Associated Press asked if I’d like to be an AP college basketball voter this season, here was my exact email response to him:

Oh man. That sounds fun (and terrifying).

Coming up with my preseason ballot certainly lived up to expectations....

The first task was figuring how I wanted to approach having a ballot. Those familiar with me know I tend to lean toward analytics when evaluating teams, but having said that, this is a human ranking, so I wanted some wiggle room with the final vote to make up for any blind spots the computers might have.

I took to Google Sheets for a super-basic start. I compiled a few human rankings and also took into account the best computer ones I could find based on research — from last year, the Torvik rankings were most accurate, and Ken Pomeroy has a solid track record as well.

I wanted to include Dan Hanner/SI’s preseason ranking — it has finished second and first in terms of accuracy the last two years — but it hadn’t been released yet.

In the end, after tweaking, I came up with an average ranking from humans and computer polls where analytics made up 40 percent of the formula. This gave me a foundation for my ballot, and I only moved teams slightly from this starting point.

Now, to some of the specifics:... Shockers at 5

I’m the only voter representing the state of Kansas, so I’m sure at some point I will be accused of bias in favor of the home-state teams. In all honesty, though, Wichita State’s returning talent makes the team an advanced-stat darling and exactly the type of squad that I will likely be ranking higher than some of my colleagues each week. Cincinnati (No. 9 for me, 12 overall) falls in this category as well...."

Comment

• "Luke DeCock’s AP basketball poll ballot: Preseason" - The News & Observer (Raleigh, NC)

BY LUKE DECOCK
                      NOVEMBER 01, 2017 2:51 PM

"For the first time this season, I’m serving as a voter in the AP’s Top 25 basketball poll. Four thoughts on my preseason poll:

1. I thought Michigan State, Duke and Arizona all had legitimate claims to the No. 1 spot. I went with the Spartans because they have more experience than Duke and we don’t know the toll the FBI investigation will take on Arizona.

2. Wichita State is going to be really good. Prepare yourself for that eventuality. Other than that, I played it pretty vanilla here.

3. Among the ACC schools, I’m not as high on Miami as some and I’m willing to give Tony Bennett the benefit of the doubt that his team will be better with a year of experience for several of his players, even without London Perrantes. Louisville may struggle without Rick Pitino and with a rookie head coach in a cutthroat league, but there’s still top-25 talent there.

4. Among the schools that have some work to do to convince me: UCLA, Minnesota, TCU and Rhode Island. I’m skeptical of the first three of those, very curious about the fourth.

Top 4:
                      1. Michigan State
                      2. Duke
                      3. Arizona
                      4. Wichita State

Others:
                      10. Cincinnati
                      15. Notre Dame
                      20. Baylor

Comment

• "Craig Meyer's preseason college basketball Associated Press top 25 ballot" - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

BY CRAIG MEYER, AP Voter
                        11/01/17

"6. Wichita State – Coming off a 31-5 season, I love the Shockers and would probably have had them higher if it weren’t for some early-season injuries and questions about the move to the more difficult American Athletic Conference. Markis McDuffie and Landry Shamet are about as good of a one-two combo as you’ll see in college basketball.

11. Cincinnati – The Bearcats return most of the key pieces from a 30-win team and added a few more to help their efforts, namely guard Cane Broome, who averaged 23.1 points per game as a sophomore at Sacred Heart in 2015-16.

15. Notre Dame – Mike Brey has built such a strong developmental program that the Irish will never fall off too far year to year. Also, having the ACC’s best player in Bonzie Colson doesn’t hurt.

Just missed the cut: Seton Hall, Alabama, Texas A&M, Baylor, Missouri"

Comment

• "Jon Nyatawa's preseason AP Top 25 ballot" - Omaha World-Herald

By Jon Nyatawa / staff writer and AP Voter
                          Nov 1, 2017

Once again this season, World-Herald staff writer Jon Nyatawa will submit a weekly ballot for the Associated Press Top 25 poll. Each one will be posted on this blog. Here is Nyatawa's preseason Top 25, with a his thoughts on each team:

1. Arizona: Absolutely loaded. Allonzo Trier and DeAndre Ayton are the stars, but there are a couple of top-50 recruits at every position. Seems like the only thing standing in the way of Sean Miller's first Final Four appearance is the possibility of the school taking preemptive disciplinary action based on the FBI findings.

2. Michigan State: Likely the best frontcourt in the nation. Miles Bridges is going to be the LeBron James of the Big Ten.

3. Duke: There's hype once again, yes. But nothing like last year, when the Blue Devils were being compared to the greatest teams in college hoops history before playing one game. So perhaps more realistic expectations — like, winning the ACC and making an NCAA run — will suit this squad a little better.

4. Kentucky: New team, no problem. The Wildcats will overwhelm most everyone they play with their immense wealth of talent.

5. Villanova: Josh Hart is gone, but this team, at least on paper, appears to be deeper than last year's version. Villanova is always going to be one of the most fundamentally sound basketball teamsaround.

6. Wichita State: All five starters are back for a team that was underrated all last year. The preseason injuries are concerning, but at least the Shockers won't have to stuff all their résumé-building opportunities into November and December now that they're in the AAC.

7. Florida: The Gators know how to defend effectively and they've got a dynamic playmaker in KeVaughn Allen.

8. Kansas: Hard to imagine KU without Frank Mason, but Devonte' Graham will the one torturing foes off ball screens this year. There's a little bit of concern building in regard to Kansas' frontcourt depth, but its options inside — like the rim-rattling Udoka Azubuike — are pretty gifted.

9. USC: It's the same team as last year, and that group set the school record win total and was five points away from the Sweet 16. The Trojans did have to fire an assistant because of the FBI probe.

10. Miami: Bruce Brown and freshman Lonnie Walker? That's a pretty potent duo on the perimeter. Coach Jim Larrañaga has adamantly denied any wrongdoing, but the program is in the FBI's crosshairs.

Others:
                          11. Notre Dame: Bonzie Colson and Matt Farrell will headline one of the nation's most productive offenses.

12. Cincinnati: There's scoring talent all over the place; the Bearcats just don't have point guard Troy Caupain around anymore to direct traffic.

Comment

• "Justin Ferguson: How I voted in the preseason AP college basketball poll" - Cox Media Group

by Justin Ferguson, AP Voter
                            Posted; 11/01/17

Georgia Bulldogs news, stats, photos and video from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

"...And, for the second straight season, I’m representing SEC Country with a vote in the Associated Press poll for men’s basketball....

7. Wichita State: The Shockers return all five starters from a 31-win team that KenPom — and I as well — loved all season. Don’t ignore them just because they aren’t in a power conference.

Others:
                            11. Cincinnati
                            15. Notre Dame
                            17. Baylor

Comment

• Was kind of hoping a writer would have some balls and put us #1. Oh well, win in Maui and we’ll get a couple.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                                [B]
                                I took to Google Sheets for a super-basic start. I compiled a few human rankings and also took into account the best computer ones I could find based on research — from last year, the Torvik rankings were most accurate, and Ken Pomeroy has a solid track record as well.
                                The Torvik Ranking site

Couldn't find his methodology (But I was lazy).

Shockers ranked #3 with a 23-5 14-4 projected record.
                                Baylor closest projected game with a 53% win
                                Next lowest is @Cincy with a 59% win

Shocks finished 8th in these rankings last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X