No announcement yet.

Landry = The Real Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With so many high-level prospects participating in the NCAA tournament, NBA scouts have been busy. Some evaluators put more stock into these big-stage performances. And a few of our top players have put forth disappointing efforts...

Comment

• pinstripers
      pinstripers commented
      Editing a comment
      Not a Senior in the bunch

• Pretty fair assessment IMO. A few other lesser knowns will have good runs over the next couple of tournament games and Landry will move down the list a bit more prior to the combine. LS will unfortunately be in the Cle range or lower and that makes his decision so much tougher. No guarantees that he can play himself into a sure thing 1st rounder next year.

We all know Landry can get better, NBA scouts know that too. Does he get better at WSU or in the G-League or at the end of an NBA bench?

I think he goes this year if he is reasonably assured of going even in the second round. We might think its a mistake and sucks for us, but he will be betting on himself and he'll be able to devote 100% of his time to his craft.

Comment

• Obviously Landry is a talent. Obviously Landry is not a morning person. Most games in the NBA start in the PM. I bet he likes that. Lol
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Sports Daily said today that Landry mom has told him she is good with him returning to school.

Comment

• https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/nba...ament-march-26 Atlanta #29
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Unless he gets a guarantee... He should come back

Comment

• The thing about these mock drafts is that they always underestimate the number of international players that get drafted in the first round. So a US college player expected to go late in the first round isn't likely to go until the 2nd.
            He should come back.

Comment

• pinstripers
              pinstripers commented
              Editing a comment
              That's a good point. CBS has him at 24 and calls him perhaps the best shooter in the college game.

• One really nice thing for Landry is that he has a good set of people around him. When it comes to making that final decision, he will have his mom there for advice and support. She seems like the kind of woman who isnt going to be star struck or swayed by crazy promises, and can wade through the b.s. to come to what is as close to the truth as possible. He is blessed to have her there for him. I am sure he will make the right decision with her input.

Oh, and I think he is coming back, but I am clueless.
            Go Shocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Axe View Post
              The thing about these mock drafts is that they always underestimate the number of international players that get drafted in the first round. So a US college player expected to go late in the first round isn't likely to go until the 2nd.
              He should come back.
              Exactly....see Cleanthony Early

Comment

• BOBB
                BOBB commented
                Editing a comment
                Cle was a senior. Would have loved to have him one more year

• WheatShock
                WheatShock commented
                Editing a comment
                The point was that he was projected to go late 1st round and slipped to the 2nd. Happens all the time.

• I think lax's point, BOBB, was that Cle was thought likely to be a first rounder but just slipped through into the second, at a significant cost in $ and security. If you aren't expected to be a lottery pick, there's historical reason to have some apprehensions about really being in the first round.

Comment

• BOBB
                BOBB commented
                Editing a comment
                Got it.

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                It's all about the draft and stash Europeans. The draft boards have no clue how to account for these guys.

Here's a list of 10 Europeans that are competing with Landry for 1st round selection. Most draft boards only have a couple of these guys listed but you know probably 5 or 6 will go first round in order to avoid having to pay an American player

NBA scouts will be heading to Spain all season for a chance to evaluate Slovenian star Luka Doncic . They'll also visit France, Germany, Serbia and even Iceland to check out other potential sleepers in the draft...
                Last edited by Dan; March 27, 2018, 09:57 AM.

• proshox
                proshox commented
                Editing a comment
                Only if you have reason to believe you will be a sure fire first rounder with another year in college... He will make $0 next year at WSU... Less money in the NBA is still significantly more $$$

• With where Shamet is showing in these predictions (late first round in 2 of 4, and out of first round in 2 of 4), that's 4 years of college ball territory. After he graduates, which should be next year, draft position isn't so important.

Another year playing PG, while whoever Marshall digs out at the last minute learns the system, and then one year at SG, plus getting summer strength work could be very beneficial to Shamet's future career projections.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Age is a HUGE factor in the NBA draft, and by him staying, he'll be probably guaranteeing 2nd round draft as his ceiling. He needs to come out this year if he's going to be between the 25-35 range, because as he gets older, he'll only slide back farther since there will always be these stud 1 and dones, and other younger players that teams covet.

Comment

• Downtown Shocker Brown
                  Downtown Shocker Brown commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Buddy Hield went #6 as a Senior that was almost 24 years old just two years ago.

In the end, no one passes over a player that they believe to be special strictly based on age.

• Horn28Clem30
                  Horn28Clem30 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's a very rare occasion that it happens. And he was the best shooter college had seen since Steph Curry, that made a difference. It's a shooters league, someone wasn't gonna pass on him.

• Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
                Age is a HUGE factor in the NBA draft, and by him staying, he'll be probably guaranteeing 2nd round draft as his ceiling. He needs to come out this year if he's going to be between the 25-35 range, because as he gets older, he'll only slide back farther since there will always be these stud 1 and dones, and other younger players that teams covet.
                I was looking for some stats on age/longevity but didn't find any. There is a chart from 2011 in here that shows average age when entering the NBA. In the 2000-2011 years, it has been 22-23 years old; from 1979 to 2000, it was hovering around 23 years.

In any event, the average age is not dissimilar to the age of a graduating 4th year senior.

What I was really looking to find is whether younger ages would last longer in the league, but was unable to determine that.
                Thanks to the lockout you've probably read or heard how long average career of NBA player really is, and you can easily google it but... it's not up-to-date information and there are very few details about it... For example, how average NBA career length has changed through league's history? Is it so much longer now…
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• I didn't see this posted .. but Landry was named an AP Honorable Mention All-American today

Comment

• Congratulations, Landry. You earned it with your outstanding play.

Comment

Working...
                    X