Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ABC
    Originally posted by mattdalt
    Possible scenario: You are from OSU, your wife is from OSU. They are never, ever going to name the gym after you in Lawrence, no matter how many national championship banners you may hang.

One of the primary distinguishing characteristics of an "elite" program is the amount and availability of resources. If Mr. Pickens wants OSU at an "elite" level, he has the money for the facilities and the coach.

Now to bring it full circle, perhaps Mr. Self is interested in not only winning, but having an enduring legacy. Self Court located in Pickens Arena would be more than he could ever get at Lawrence.

That and the enormous pile of cash :)
    KU's basketball history is interesting. The following comments will probably make KCshox piss his pants, but here it is. KU is an an elite program, but there are a whole lot of places that have just as many national championships as KU. (North Carolina State, Florida, Cincinatti, UConn, Louisville, Michigan State, San Francisco)

And several that have more: UCLA, Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, Duke.

If one thinks about the last 18 years, when KU has zero national championships, Duke has 3, Florida has two, UConn has two, North Carolina has two, Kentucky has two, UCLA has one, Michigan State has one, Arkansas has one, Syracuse has one, Arizona has one, Maryland has one and even UNLV has one.

If Bill Self won at least two NCAA championships, they'd would do something major for him.
    The lack of championships is disheartening, but it does show just how hard it is to win one. North Carolina has what, two or three in it's history? I think another telling number is six Final Fours in the last twenty years.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
      Personally, I think he'll go. ABSOLUTELY, he will listen. Pickins will offer him 20 million guaranteed for 5 years, Self will have a personal services contract with Pickins, and will sit on the board of directors of several of Pickins' companies, at an annual renumeration of 250 to 500k for each board. Pickins will provide the finest sports facility in the world. The basketball dept will have the exclusive use of 2 or 3 private jets for recruiting. He has to listen to that at least.
      Of course money can talk, and no body would blame him for making rediculous money at OSU. A few things I'd mention are that Self has made it clear that he and Lew are sitting down after the season to "go over things and make sure this is a good fit for everyone" which means "Lew's going to make sure I'm getting paid what I want to get paid." Of course, KU doesn't have Pickens' money, but I think we'll be able to make a solid counter-offer if it comes to that.

Also, Self liked the Suttons, and they were just basically pooed on by Holder. Self's a OSU guy, but he's also a Sutton guy. There might be some loyalties there that keep him from taking the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy23
        Originally posted by ABC
        Originally posted by mattdalt
        Possible scenario: You are from OSU, your wife is from OSU. They are never, ever going to name the gym after you in Lawrence, no matter how many national championship banners you may hang.

One of the primary distinguishing characteristics of an "elite" program is the amount and availability of resources. If Mr. Pickens wants OSU at an "elite" level, he has the money for the facilities and the coach.

Now to bring it full circle, perhaps Mr. Self is interested in not only winning, but having an enduring legacy. Self Court located in Pickens Arena would be more than he could ever get at Lawrence.

That and the enormous pile of cash :)
        KU's basketball history is interesting. The following comments will probably make KCshox piss his pants, but here it is. KU is an an elite program, but there are a whole lot of places that have just as many national championships as KU. (North Carolina State, Florida, Cincinatti, UConn, Louisville, Michigan State, San Francisco)

And several that have more: UCLA, Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, Duke.

If one thinks about the last 18 years, when KU has zero national championships, Duke has 3, Florida has two, UConn has two, North Carolina has two, Kentucky has two, UCLA has one, Michigan State has one, Arkansas has one, Syracuse has one, Arizona has one, Maryland has one and even UNLV has one.

If Bill Self won at least two NCAA championships, they'd would do something major for him.
        The lack of championships is disheartening, but it does show just how hard it is to win one. North Carolina has what, two or three in it's history? I think another telling number is six Final Fours in the last twenty years.
        UNC has 4 national championships.

Comment

Personally, I think he'll go. ABSOLUTELY, he will listen. Pickins will offer him 20 million guaranteed for 5 years, Self will have a personal services contract with Pickins, and will sit on the board of directors of several of Pickins' companies, at an annual renumeration of 250 to 500k for each board. Pickins will provide the finest sports facility in the world. The basketball dept will have the exclusive use of 2 or 3 private jets for recruiting. He has to listen to that at least.
          Of course money can talk, and no body would blame him for making rediculous money at OSU. A few things I'd mention are that Self has made it clear that he and Lew are sitting down after the season to "go over things and make sure this is a good fit for everyone" which means "Lew's going to make sure I'm getting paid what I want to get paid." Of course, KU doesn't have Pickens' money, but I think we'll be able to make a solid counter-offer if it comes to that.

Also, Self liked the Suttons, and they were just basically pooed on by Holder. Self's a OSU guy, but he's also a Sutton guy. There might be some loyalties there that keep him from taking the job.
          I don't know how much of a Sutton guy he is. It's not like he played for Eddie. I'm sure he respects the family, but I don't think that would be an issue in this.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53

I don't know how much of a Sutton guy he is. It's not like he played for Eddie. I'm sure he respects the family, but I don't think that would be an issue in this.
            Yeah but he was an assistant under Eddie at OSU. But I agree who knows how much or little that might weight on him with so much money on the table. Hey, nervous KU fans are looking at every little thing that can possibly keep him here. Bill Self will be a very rich man if he goes to OSU.

Comment

I like people, too, but with enough money, I could hire someone to screen my phone calls so I'd never have to come into contact with those people ever again.

Lots of questions to answer. One biggie: How long does Self want to coach?

FWIW - It would be near impossible to turn down that kind of money (personally) no matter which school *I* was coaching at. That's too much $ecurity to turn down.

I personally hope he stays.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker
                I like people, too, but with enough money, I could hire someone to screen my phone calls so I'd never have to come into contact with those people ever again.

FWIW - It would be near impossible to turn down that kind of money (personally) no matter which school *I* was coaching at. That's too much $ecurity to turn down.

Why would the Suttons care? Self had nothing to do with Sean's firing. In fact, to hear Self talk, he had always supported Sean. Someone has to take the job. Why not let it be Self (without recrimination) to get rich from the situation. I would think the Suttons would want someone they knew and liked to take over the program and get the big money.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21
                  Originally posted by JVShocker

Why would the Suttons care? Self had nothing to do with Sean's firing. In fact, to hear Self talk, he had always supported Sean. Someone has to take the job. Why not let it be Self (without recrimination) to get rich from the situation. I would think the Suttons would want someone they knew and liked to take over the program and get the big money.
                  The Suttons probably wouldn't care, but Bill might not like how his friends were treated in that wreck of an athletics department.

In the end, it will just depend on if Self will turn down the dollars.

Comment

ESPN is reporting that Larry Brown is bored and wants to get back in coaching, college or pro. Now there is a suggestion for OSU.

Comment

Working...
                    X