No announcement yet.

Sutton news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I don't think that they are changing it from Gallaher Iba Arena for one...but the court is named after Eddie Sutton already...so I am not so sure they jump to change. It would be a while. "

Those were the names on the old arena and old floor, not the new arena and new floor of your multiple NCAA champion Cowboys :)

Comment

Sounds like a job for mike Cohen or Steve Eck
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Self just on Fox4 news says hes not going anywhere!
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11
          KU fans have heard that before.......... :whistle:
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
            Originally posted by kcshocker11
            KU fans have heard that before.......... :whistle:
            Oh so true!

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalt
              Possible scenario: You are from OSU, your wife is from OSU. They are never, ever going to name the gym after you in Lawrence, no matter how many national championship banners you may hang.

One of the primary distinguishing characteristics of an "elite" program is the amount and availability of resources. If Mr. Pickens wants OSU at an "elite" level, he has the money for the facilities and the coach.

Now to bring it full circle, perhaps Mr. Self is interested in not only winning, but having an enduring legacy. Self Court located in Pickens Arena would be more than he could ever get at Lawrence.

That and the enormous pile of cash :)
              KU's basketball history is interesting. The following comments will probably make KCshox piss his pants, but here it is. KU is an an elite program, but there are a whole lot of places that have just as many national championships as KU. (North Carolina State, Florida, Cincinatti, UConn, Louisville, Michigan State, San Francisco)

And several that have more: UCLA, Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, Duke.

If one thinks about the last 18 years, when KU has zero national championships, Duke has 3, Florida has two, UConn has two, North Carolina has two, Kentucky has two, UCLA has one, Michigan State has one, Arkansas has one, Syracuse has one, Arizona has one, Maryland has one and even UNLV has one.

If Bill Self won at least two NCAA championships, they'd would do something major for him.

Comment

I think there was about as much chance that Bill Self would go back to Oklahoma as there is that Head Coach Greg Marshall is going to go back to South Carolina
                1/16/2010 on the "Screw at the Q" HCGM... " Ive never seen a foul parade like that...If you would of let me know it was going to be a foul parade I would of brought a different team" .... "dont talk to me about fouls....Ive got to go back and look at some tape... I have some thoughts but I need to look at the tape and then I will have something very strong to say"

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalt
                  "I don't think that they are changing it from Gallaher Iba Arena for one...but the court is named after Eddie Sutton already...so I am not so sure they jump to change. It would be a while. "

Those were the names on the old arena and old floor, not the new arena and new floor of your multiple NCAA champion Cowboys :)

Love it!!! 8)

Comment

1. 20 million dollars is a lot of money

2. Perhaps there were quotes I missed, but I never heard him say that he was not going there

3. The truly elite programs in D-1 basketball are UK, KU , UCLA, IU, Duke, and UNC

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
                      1. 20 million dollars is a lot of money

2. Perhaps there were quotes I missed, but I never heard him say that he was not going there
                      3. The truly elite programs in D-1 basketball are UK, KU , UCLA, IU, Duke, and UNC
                      It's amazing how 10 people can hear the exact same words, and each comes out with a little different take on what was said. I agree with you pin. What I heard Self say was that OSU had not called and if they did he would "strongly suggest they go another direction." He did not say NO! He hasn't heard the money yet. Money can talk (especially if it's a LOT more than he gets now.) If KU wins the NC, Self may go for the money. Then again, I believe I heard he has said he wants to eventually coach in the NBA. Much more likely to get there after a great run with KU than with a rebuilding job with OSU that may take 3 years or more.

Comment

Anyone with common sense would listen to what they have to offer. At the very least it's a gauge of market value and leverage to hold over KU in a renegotiation. Self is a smart man. He will have the discussions next week.

Comment

I would think Self would listen too. While things are rosy now, look ahead to next year. Kahn, Robinson, Jackson, that USC transfer are all seniors, and Rush and Arthur might be gone as well. That would be five or six of their top 8 or 9 players gone. I don't see how they are going to anywhere near as good next year as they are now. We know what Turg did when he saw the writing on the wall for his next years team....

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog
                            I would think Self would listen too. While things are rosy now, look ahead to next year. Kahn, Robinson, Jackson, that USC transfer are all seniors, and Rush and Arthur might be gone as well. That would be five or six of their top 8 or 9 players gone. I don't see how they are going to anywhere near as good next year as they are now. We know what Turg did when he saw the writing on the wall for his next years team....
                            I heard that Coach Turgeon was a secret advisor to Coach Albright.

Is it possible that Coach Turgeon brought down two WSU basketball programs?

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog
                              Thing is, it was like that for Self three years ago. And all he did to combat it was recruit one of the top classes in the nation.

KU is one of the few schools where that's possible.
                              The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Personally, I think he'll go. ABSOLUTELY, he will listen. Pickins will offer him 20 million guaranteed for 5 years, Self will have a personal services contract with Pickins, and will sit on the board of directors of several of Pickins' companies, at an annual renumeration of 250 to 500k for each board. Pickins will provide the finest sports facility in the world. The basketball dept will have the exclusive use of 2 or 3 private jets for recruiting. He has to listen to that at least.

Comment

Working...
                                X