Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    No doubt. The ShawShaq Redemption.
    Totally off-topic, but when Brian Shaw and Shaq both played for the Lakers, they actually had a play called the ShawShaq Redemption. Shaq talked about it in one of the NBA Open Court shows (a really great show, especially if you love when players tell stories).
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
      Totally off-topic, but when Brian Shaw and Shaq both played for the Lakers, they actually had a play called the ShawShaq Redemption. Shaq talked about it in one of the NBA Open Court shows (a really great show, especially if you love when players tell stories).
      How cool is that!!!
      SHOCKERS & AWE

"Go Ahead, Try To Jinx Us" ~ The Monsters Of The Midwest

"Wichita State fans bring the noise to another level. The roar
      gets into your skull, giving you a mild case of vertigo."

Comment

• Something came up in conversation and I was wondering if anyone had heard if WSU was planning on a team/supporter Thanksgiving meal in Maui similar to the one held in Orlando a couple of years ago?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
          Sorry for the off-topic perpetuation, but you are completely correct on Open Court. I can't believe it doesn't get more buzz among true basketball fans (NOTE - I am one of the college basketball purists that consider it a far better overall product than the NBA).

I think my favorite episode was something about signature moves. Isiah Thomas was talking about the different types of crossovers and actually standing up and comparing/contrasting Allen Iverson with Tim Hardaway and explaining "inside versus outside". And since it was with footage (NBA channel perq), you got to see what he was talking about - Iverson crossing Jordan and Tim Hardaway crossing random dudes.

(For my money, Tim Hardaway had the best crossover ever - although I suppose we need @Tyrone Shoelace: to weigh in with his rankings... perhaps in another thread).

But the best - by far - was Shaq talking about the Georgetown centers (Ewing, Mourning, Mutombo) and how they all used the same move. Specifically - and I quote - their "full fake left with head, go right, dumba** runner". And then he made the motion of swatting it away.

Love him or hate him, it doesn't matter. The other guys were howling, and he described it in detail. My description doesn't do it justice.

If you have the NBA channel, love basketball, and like the NBA even a little bit... check it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post
            Sorry for the off-topic perpetuation, but you are completely correct on Open Court. I can't believe it doesn't get more buzz among true basketball fans (NOTE - I am one of the college basketball purists that consider it a far better overall product than the NBA).

I think my favorite episode was something about signature moves. Isiah Thomas was talking about the different types of crossovers and actually standing up and comparing/contrasting Allen Iverson with Tim Hardaway and explaining "inside versus outside". And since it was with footage (NBA channel perq), you got to see what he was talking about - Iverson crossing Jordan and Tim Hardaway crossing random dudes.

(For my money, Tim Hardaway had the best crossover ever - although I suppose we need @Tyrone Shoelace: to weigh in with his rankings... perhaps in another thread).

But the best - by far - was Shaq talking about the Georgetown centers (Ewing, Mourning, Mutombo) and how they all used the same move. Specifically - and I quote - their "full fake left with head, go right, dumba** runner". And then he made the motion of swatting it away.

Love him or hate him, it doesn't matter. The other guys were howling, and he described it in detail. My description doesn't do it justice.

If you have the NBA channel, love basketball, and like the NBA even a little bit... check it out.
            Awesome! I gotta go watch it now!
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Maui Invitational‏ @MauiInv Aug 15

@GoShockers fans, join Coach Marshall and the Shockers in Maui this Thanksgiving! http://bit.ly/2aWZCBb

Comment

• "2017-18 Big East nonconference schedule analysis: Marquette Golden Eagles" - SB*Nation

Let’s take a peek at who the Golden Eagles are squaring off with before entering the gauntlet of Big East play.

by Sam Newberry
                Oct 13, 2017, 10:03am EDT

"...The Golden Eagles will face one of California and Wichita State. Cal, having lost Cuonzo Martin to Missouri, Ivan Rabb to the NBA, and Charlie Moore to Kansas, will be a rebuilding program, so should Marquette prevail over VCU, I expect the Shockers of Wichita State to be waiting as the next opponent. The Shockers will be one of the best teams in the nation this year, especially with their move to the AAC. Landry Shamet, their star guard, is currently sidelined with an injury, and it is uncertain when he will return and when he will be 100%. However, should he be available for this game, I fully expect Marquette to be challenged every step of the way in this matchup, and for Wichita State to win. I hope I get to eat my words on that one.

Marquette will then face one of Chaminade, Notre Dame, Michigan, or LSU. Besides Chaminade, any of those games for Marquette is a good schedule strengthener, and every one of the four is beatable, so depending on how things play out, I think 2-1 is a reasonable expectation for Marquette in Maui, but 1-2 is as likely an outcome...."

Comment

• "New Cal coach Wyking Jones has tall task with young team" - The Washington Post

By Janie McCauley | AP
                  October 30 at 1:39 PM EST

"BERKELEY, Calif. — Wyking Jones faces a daunting task in his first season coaching California, where he’ll be guiding an inexperienced roster that lost its star power.

Ivan Rabb and Jabari Bird are gone to the pros, each second-round NBA draft picks. Guard Charlie Moore transferred to Kansas. Only one starter returns, center Kingsley Okoroh....

NON-CONFERENCE TESTS: The Bears will find out in a hurry where they stand against top competition. They go to the Maui Invitational and face Wichita State on Nov. 20, then hosts West Coast Conference power Saint Mary’s on Dec. 2.

SWAT MAN: Okoroh, a 7-foot-1 senior, set the school record for blocks in a single season with 74.

Now, he will be called upon to help lead a young roster.

He has sought guidance from Rabb on what he needs to do to be a leader on and off the floor.

“I’m just ready to thrive in that position,” he said.

EARLY INJURIES: Delaying the progress of integrating new players were injuries.

Freshman forward Justice Sueing dealt with a stress fracture early in camp while freshman guard Juhwan Harris-Dyson was sidelined with a sprained ankle."

Comment

• "2017-18 Marquette Basketball Preview Roundtable: Where Do The Golden Eagles Finish In the Big East?" - SB*Nation

by Brewtown Andy
                    Oct 30, 2017, 3:30pm CDT

"...Ben Snider: Record-wise, I count 2, potentially 3 automatic losses in 2 Villanova games with the possibility of playing Wichita State in Maui, though they might not have their two best players in Landry Shamet and Markis McDuffie. Actually let’s just say 2 automatic losses. Actually scratch that. I just checked Twitter and Shamet should be back by Maui. As the self-proclaimed Wichita State liaison, I can confidently say that Landry Shamet is really good. So 3 losses...."

Comment

• "Michigan Basketball: Schedule Analysis" - I Sports Web

by Jordan Eccleston
                      October 30, 2017

"Last season, the Wolverines were a bubble team most of the year. Until their strong play down the stretch, and their inspiring charge to the Big Ten title, the NCAA tournament wasn’t a sure thing. Their lackluster nonconference play last year took a toll. They took care of the usual cupcakes, but they lost at home to Virginia Tech. They captured the 2K Classic crown with wins over Marquette and SMU, but they had no true road wins.

The NCAA committee has stated that starting this season, road wins will count for more when evaluating a team’s resume. Michigan has a few chances to add great road wins to their belts early this season, and a couple quality neutral court wins as well. With the departures of Derrick Walton Jr, Zak Irvin, and DJ Wilson, outsiders don’t have high expectations for this team. How they perform against quality competition at the outset of the season could set the tone for how this year might play out. Here are the top five early season matchups:

5). Wichita State/VCU/Marquette/California
                      The third game Michigan plays at the Maui Jim Maui Invitational serves as an early test. Wichita State is obviously a marquee team, but they will be without Landry Shamet and Markis McDuffie early due to injury. VCU and Marquette will be teams that flirt with the bubble, but they will likely be a few steps behind this season due to roster turnover. Cal is by far the weakest of the group, having lost their coach and quite a few players. If Michigan gets Wichita State in the title game, they will have a huge opportunity to start the year.

4). UCLA
                      3). Texas
                      2). Notre Dame - Maui Invitational potential 2nd round
                      1). North Carolina..."

Comment

• Got the bags packed waiting for tomorrow to get here so I can head to Maui. Going with another couple and plan on meeting Moose and some of the guys and their wives there. Expect to come back with the first place hard ware. Wish you all a happy Thanksgiving and safe travels to you all.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          Got the bags packed waiting for tomorrow to get here so I can head to Maui. Going with another couple and plan on meeting Moose and some of the guys and their wives there. Expect to come back with the first place hard ware. Wish you all a happy Thanksgiving and safe travels to you all.
                          you on American 3302 out of ICT in the morning like us?
                          From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

• pogo
                            pogo commented
                            Editing a comment
                            No AA 2753

• Went in 2010 and really enjoyed paradise. Unfortunately can't make this one... "let 'em hang!"

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by OTR Shockfan View Post

you on American 3302 out of ICT in the morning like us?

We were on that flight OTR, there appeared to be a decent sized contingent of Shocker fans. Safe travels to everyone, we’re looking forward to the games. To quote Kent Dorfman: “This is gonna be GREAT”!

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              Got the bags packed waiting for tomorrow to get here so I can head to Maui.
                              When you hit the beach in Maui, just remember, the potato goes in the front of your Speedo!
                              An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

• pogo
                                pogo commented
                                Editing a comment
                                You have to wear suits?
                            Working...
                            X