Shaq Morris--Shocker X-Factor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
    Shaq is our best shot blocker with 30 and Willis is next with 10. Shaq is 2nd. in scoring with 12.2ppg with LS leading the team at 15.8. It seems Shaq has played solid the last 3 games at least and will be a very key factor for us down the home run stretch.
    SM only needs 7 more blocks to pass Robert Elmore for #2 all-time career blocks. If he can continue at the current pace, he will finish in the Top 10 for blocks per game for a season.

PS: If he passes Elmore, that's as far as he will go. He'll need 76 more blocks to catch Carr!!

Comment

• That's actually a pretty amazing stat considering the fact Shaq hasn't seen the court that much over his career. I'm too lazy to look it up but I'm pretty sure AC rarely came out during his four year tenure and Elmore had to have averaged more than 20 mins a game his junior and senior season. Can you imagine what Shaq's stats would be if he had the stamina earlier in his career?

Comment

• That really is a laudable achievement for Shaq. He's earned it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
          That's actually a pretty amazing stat considering the fact Shaq hasn't seen the court that much over his career. I'm too lazy to look it up but I'm pretty sure AC rarely came out during his four year tenure and Elmore had to have averaged more than 20 mins a game his junior and senior season. Can you imagine what Shaq's stats would be if he had the stamina earlier in his career?
          I looked deeper into all this and found that "sometimes" certain stats were not kept or not found in certain years. Yes, some stats were not kept at all pre-80s, but also some are hit and miss.

Such is the case with 1975-76, Elmore's junior year. WSU apparently doesn't have minutes played or blocked shots for that year for any player. So, unofficially, Robert is probably #2 on the list close to Carr's totals. He had 56 blocks the previous year and 69 blocks the year after 75-76, so his totals are probably closer to 195. I don't feel this should diminish what Shaq has done and WSU would list him #2 if he passes Elmore's 132 blocks.

Regarding Elmore's minutes played, he averaged 31.5 mpg his sophomore year and 35.8 his senior year, just a little over 20 mpg. :friendly_wink:

Does anyone remember why Robert only played 2 games his freshman year. He averaged 8.5 points, had 14 rebounds, and 7 blocks in those 2 games. Injury??

Comment

• Great article about Shaq:

https://theathletic.com/213611/2018/...ble-backstory/
            Last edited by TheGr1z; January 17, 2018, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• Rick BW
              Rick BW commented
              Editing a comment
              Can you post the article text on the board? No subscription on my end.

• Stickboy46
              Stickboy46 commented
              Editing a comment
              No, that is a violation of board rules and can get the board admins/owners in legal trouble.

• Bluzrover
              Bluzrover commented
              Editing a comment
              A paraphrase of short paragraphs is okay. What was it about the article that made it great? Did it reference the impact Marshall has had in molding this young man into a really good post player? Was it something about his background that some of don't know? Hmm...

• Really good article. The Athletic puts up some pretty good pieces from time to time.

Comment

• There are 2 Shock players that are really driving our team and we all like LS and Shaq. Last night, Shaq brought his heavy duty stainless steel lunch pail and shot 14 various shots and only missed 3 for 19 points. He added 6 rebounds, 2 assists, and i block. Not a bad day at the office. I notice in AAC play only before Tacko Fall was injured, both he and Shaq had 10 blocks. The Shocks did score 32 points in the paint last night as UCF was missing their Defensive Player Of the Year in the AAC from last Season. Soon, we will go back to UCF to play them there and need the same results with a win. Cin. is 2 games ahead of us now, so the Shocks have a steep task to conquer and Shaq and LS are the ones to lead us in this quest.
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Any word on the big guys ankle

Comment

• Shocker Mama
                  Shocker Mama commented
                  Editing a comment
                  His Mom said on Facebook that she talked to him, and he's expecting to play Sunday.

• WSUwatcher
                  WSUwatcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good to see, Mama, but I hope he isn't needed. The old "stick your foot under the guy who's coming down from a shot" trick is what knocked Kawhi Leonard out of the playoffs for the Spurs last year (thus greatly easing the Warriors' path), and Leonard doesn't come down with nearly as much weight as Shaq does -- so the longer Shaq has to recover fully, the better.

• When Shaq plays with high energy and execution as tonight versus Tulsa, the Shocks are very hard to beat.

Comment

• WuDrWu had posted the following on the WSU Records thread, so I decided to put it here as well.

I believe Shaq just moved into the #2 spot all time in blocks. Soon he'll join the 1000 point club as well and he's on pace to end up with the 3rd best all time shooting %. Strong.

Revisiting some of Conner's stats....170-36 A/TO or 4.72.1 ratio. He still has more steals (49) than turnovers (36) all time, and I'd bet a lot of money that he'll join Fred VanVleet (225 to 207) as the only other member of that club in Shocker history unless there's walk on something with 1 and 0.

Odd stats to me...Shaq has more blocks (133) than turnovers (125) but Conner has nearly half as many blocks (17) as turnovers (36). Small sample size for sure, but given minutes played, still pretty amazing especially given the responsibility and perceived strengths.

Also see post #154 above for more info regarding Morris/Elmore blocks.

Comment

• OK. Doc's other interesting stats in his post regarding player's A/TO ratio and blocks to turnovers, got me checking something else about Shaq (that's why it's here).

I looked at big men or players that saw a lot of time at the 4/5 for WSU over the last 15+ years. We mostly look at rebounds and scoring for these players.
                    A lot of time, if not most, big men turn the ball over more than they get assists. But they also add blocks and some steals.
                    This probably isn't a real ratio stat, but I wanted to check out these players assists, steals, and blocks and compare those to their turnovers. Yes, I know, I had a lot of time on my hands this morning, but here goes.

Players will be listed in order of the ratio blocks/steals/assists divided by turnovers. Their listing will also be for their senior year, unless I found a better ratio for them in a previous year. I did not look at freshman years. I may also include a short comment behind their ranking. For almost all players, 1 year was much better than other years, generally their senior year.

1 -- 3.13 - Carter 50/16. Junior year (look for his senior year below)

2 -- 2.48 - Morris 72/29. So far, in his senior year.

3 -- 2.45 - Colby 54/22. Was not a scorer at 2.6 pg

4 -- 2.36 - Morris 59/25. Sophomore year

5 -- 2.33 - Hall 63/27. Junior year (see senior year below)

6 -- 2.28 - Morris 214/94. His totals for his sophomore, junior, and continuing senior years.

7 -- 2.16 - Hall 93/43.

8 -- 2.08 - Morris 83/40. Junior year

9 -- 2.00 - Stutz 74/37. Junior year (his senior year was 80/67 or 1.19)

10 - 1.90 - Clemente 80/42

11 - 1.85 - Durley 89/48

12 - 1.80 - Howard 146/81

13 - 1.77 - Nurger 23/13. So far in his senior year

14 - 1.68 - Ellis 37/22

15 - 1.67 - Mack 85/51

16 - 1.49 - Carter 55/37. Senior year

17 - 1.43 - Early 87/61. Junior year

18 - 1.29 - Thomasson 67/52

19 - 1.24 - Willis 67/54. Junior year

20 - 1.15 - Lufile 47/41

21 - 1.14 - Miller 72/63. Yes, that senior year was his best.

Comment

• Shaq is just 20 points away from scoring 1,000 points as a Shocker, according to Facebook.

Comment

• forevershockerfan
                        forevershockerfan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Shaq did make it tonight with his 24 point performance. Not that long ago, one game he got left home alone. Then that same year (I think) he was joined by Orlando by an injured FVV, working his magic to keep the big fellow from getting deeper into the dog house. With all the hardships along the way, Shaq overcame adversity and is having his best Season as a Shock individually on many fronts.

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
                      Shaq is just 20 points away from scoring 1,000 points as a Shocker, according to Facebook.
                      I vote that he shouldn't wait 2 games to be at home and just get it over with tonight. :wsu_posters:

Comment

• Memphis may be somewhat rough and tumble at home so we need Shaq at his best in not only this game mentioned, but all down the final stretch. They saved the toughest games for last for the Shocks so we need to take care of our business from this point on and we have to win most road and home games from here starting with Memphis. Shaq and Austin have been our more consistent players lately but we need all of the Shocks to rise up and produce from this moment moving forward. A strong finish would be very kewl as Shaq continues his best productive Season as a Shocker and joined the 1000 point Shocker career group..

Comment

• Shaq has brought his A game through this 5 game rough stretch. Prior to these games, only 3 times in his career had he play 30 minutes and never more than that. He's had a 30 (SMU) and 35 minute (Temple) game.

Despite the team losing 3 of these 5 games, Shaq has averaged 26 minutes, .629 FG (39-62), .500 from 3 (4-8), 5.8 rpg, 1 block per game, and 18.4 ppg.

Comment

Working...
                        X