No announcement yet.

Three Freshmen To Remember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shamet has had three really strong games. Austin was lighting it up from three. CJ is played good defense and could finish at the rim regardless of contact. Out of all of them, I loved watching CJ finally get some good minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
      Shamet has had three really strong games. Austin was lighting it up from three. CJ is played good defense and could finish at the rim regardless of contact. Out of all of them, I loved watching CJ finally get some good minutes.
      CJ was doing things that a mop up minutes player never does. He deserves minutes. He was very impressive to me, given the fact that everyone else is playing street ball and jacking up guarded threes at that point of the game.

Comment

HCGM + mop up minutes = street ball?

Referees call less and there is less discipline but not street ball. That's the one thing I like about HCGM and even watch the blow out. He has expectations of all players when they get in. Gregg coaches the entire game. That being said, CJ deserved early minutes (even the players and Marshall admitted such) because he had practiced so well, and he played in this game very well too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
          CJ was doing things that a mop up minutes player never does. He deserves minutes. He was very impressive to me, given the fact that everyone else is playing street ball and jacking up guarded threes at that point of the game.
          One thing CJ has shown is an aptitude for getting to the basket. Not something that the guards on this year's Shocker team have an overabundance of.

At this point I think CJ's biggest weakness is the he tends to be a little loose with ball. Needs to take care of it a little better and to value it more.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 2, 2017, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            One thing CJ has shown is an for getting to the basket. Not something that the guards on this year's Shocker team have an overabundance of.

At this point I think CJ's biggest weakness is the he tends to be a little loose with ball. Needs to take care of it a little better and to value it more.
            You can tell he's not comfortable yet. On defense he's constantly looking around to the point he gets beat off the dribble because he's looking away. He's quick enough to catch up but got a few silly grabbing fouls yesterday because of it. On offense, he doesn't quite look in sync yet. He can drive and create. That drive and dish to Rauno was beautiful yesterday.

Comment

Yesterday he did not shoot at the first opportunity. That is progress. Certainly liked his drives to the hoop. Didn't watch close enough to evaluate his defense, but he sure can leap.
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                Yesterday he did not shoot at the first opportunity. That is progress. Certainly liked his drives to the hoop. Didn't watch close enough to evaluate his defense, but he sure can leap.
                Defense was very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                  You can tell he's not comfortable yet. On defense he's constantly looking around to the point he gets beat off the dribble because he's looking away. He's quick enough to catch up but got a few silly grabbing fouls yesterday because of it. On offense, he doesn't quite look in sync yet. He can drive and create. That drive and dish to Rauno was beautiful yesterday.
                  Thinking CJ gets some pretty good minutes again Wednesday.

Comment

We like seeing all 3 of these young men playing so well. Landry has a great shot of Freshman of the Year and leads the Valley in assists to turnover ratio. Austin leads the Valley in 3 point %? What? Two Freshmen leading in various categories in this here Valley? Yes, and that rocks. Great to see CJ in the game today and he played well and hard. Can you imagine how good a player would have to be to beat out one of these 3 out as Seniors as starters at the 1-2-3 slots?
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Coach had good things to say about the 3 freshman in tonight's coaches show. Also shared a story about how Austin & CJ got in trouble for playing 1 on 1 during the summer while they were still recovering from injuries, they busted somebody's nose.
                      Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
                        Coach had good things to say about the 3 freshman in tonight's coaches show. Also shared a story about how Austin & CJ got in trouble for playing 1 on 1 during the summer while they were still recovering from injuries, they busted somebody's nose.
                        I would love a recap!
                        Livin the dream

Comment

They busted the nose of one of the walkons (who has since left the team) and apparently tried to cover it up.
                          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                            I would love a recap!
                            Here is a podcast of tonight's show.

3G thought the crowd at the Indiana State game was the best of the year.

Talks about 1-on-1-on-1 game with walk-on Stephen Solomon and one of them broke Solomon's nose. Starts at about the 25 minute mark if you don't want to listen to the whole show.

Austin and C.J. are like Green Acres meets Fresh Prince but they get along great and it works for them.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 23, 2017, 09:40 PM.

Comment

The crowd for InSU was great because of Reaves and Morris.

The sequence that Reaves had with the two 3's, the block, and the dunk - that was something not seen all that often and greatly appreciated. The crowd absolutely went crazy when that happened. It created an atmosphere in CKA that's normally reserved for a run or a great defensive stand in a competitive game.

Morris just had a great all-around game. The crowd loved to see him do that and appreciated it. When he recognized what the crowd was doing for him, the crowd gave him some more.

The fans proved they can create the CKA atmosphere even in a blowout game. The fans appreciate the players when they have great performances. Average performances in blowouts will get the crickets chirping picked up by the crowd mics.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
                                They busted the nose of one of the walkons (who has since left the team) and apparently tried to cover it up.
                                Oh that is great!!! A couple (good guy) Freshmen trying to cover it up from Coach. Lol. I bet coach tried to keep a straight face giving them the "talk" and then privately had a good laugh in the office with his assistants about it. Lol
                                FINAL FOURS:
                                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                                #3 - Dec. 2017
                                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                                #2 ~ March 2014
                                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                                X