No announcement yet.

Fred is a Raptor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While it would be wonderful to be in a position to only play for playoff teams, the reality is that Fred is still trying to establish himself as a legitimate NBA player and maybe even a starter. Goal #1 is to get paid now because nothing is certain about the next contract he may get.

Comment

• Raptors just promoted their asst coach Nick Nurse to Head Coach
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Comment

• The Ringer did a mock NBA draft, and I got a kick out of Devonte Graham's comparisons: https://nbadraft.theringer.com?playe...evonte'_graham

They say he compares to a lean Kyle Lowry or Fred VanVleet. I don't think it's a great comparison, but I love that Fred is established enough that he's being used as a comparison point in these types of guides.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
            The Ringer did a mock NBA draft, and I got a kick out of Devonte Graham's comparisons: https://nbadraft.theringer.com?playe...evonte'_graham

They say he compares to a lean Kyle Lowry or Fred VanVleet. I don't think it's a great comparison, but I love that Fred is established enough that he's being used as a comparison point in these types of guides.
            After he was drafted Bilas mentioned that Jalen Brunson is like FVV. That's last year's consensus college player of the year.

Comment

• Aargh
              Aargh commented
              Editing a comment
              Too bad Fred was never good enough (in Mark Turgeon's opinion) to make team USA.

• Slykryck
              Slykryck commented
              Editing a comment
              I still can’t beliiwce Melo Trimble made the Pan-Am games over Fred. Fred was a better PG/leader than him and Bobby Brown. That was the difference maker on that team.

• Still would like to see Fred becomes Casey’s starting PG in Detroit.

A worse team, without question, but the opportunity to be a starter has to outweigh that. Would be better both financially and developmentally.
            The Assman

Comment

• COS Shocker
              COS Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              I would love to see him in Phoenix, they could use a starting point guard to go with their other 4 core young guys. He could help improve them tremendously in the near future. He would bring them some of the grit and toughness they have been missing, especially on the defensive end he could set the tone of the effort that is required.

Haven't looked at their cap space, but I would think they have room to make him a max offer. Don't think Detroit can make a max offer without shedding significant salary.

• We get overexcited at times on here, but this may not be one of them -- and in any case, how cool is it that people could be talking about FVV getting a max NBA offer? Way to bet on yourself, Fred. Oh, and nice evaluation, Mr. Gottlieb.

Comment

• Fred going to get paid, but he's not getting $25 million a year, which would be max money for him. Teams don't have a lot of cap space and can't go over the cap to bring him in. Raptors don't even have Bird rights on him because he hasn't been in the league long enough. I'd be incredibly shocked if he gets max money. Probably $10 million a year.

Edit: In researching this further, it appears teams wanting to sign Fred could only offer him the non-taxpayer mid-level exception, or roughly $8.5 million a year for years 1-2. There are no restrictions on years 3-4, so a team could backload a deal for the last two years and bump his average closet to $10 million a year.
              Last edited by ArtVandalay; June 24, 2018, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• If you get offered as much as the NBA allows in your situation, isn't that a max deal?

Fred opened his own store in Rockford over the weekend. Pretty damned amazing young man. Way to go Freddy.

Comment

• ArtVandalay
                  ArtVandalay commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The NBA has a mess of contract names. A max contract is one of those. I get your point, but a poster mentioned teams being able to clear cap space in order to sign Fred. That would only be necessary for a "max" deal. The non taxpayer mid level exception would allow the team to go over the cap to sign him. That's the best Fred could get given he's a restricted free agent.

• Well Fred didnt win, but they still don't know his name isn't Van Fleet. Proud Fred was in the running! You're our sixth man of the year Fred!
                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                  Well Fred didnt win, but they still don't know his name isn't Van Fleet. Proud Fred was in the running! You're our sixth man of the year Fred!
                  The Assman

Comment

• Shock Top
                    Shock Top commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Maybe it's an inside thing, but it probably isn't.

Maybe it'll catch on! ha

• Rack him!!! Rafters....tomorrow!!!! Ambassador for life!!! Rack him!!!!
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Kenny Smith got his name wrong too

Comment

• I haven't seen any buzz to suggest it's really even a possibility, but I'd love to see Fred on the Sixers. It'd be so much fun to see him with someone like Embiid down low. Plus, with Simmons, Fred can act as a secondary ballhandler but still space the floor sufficiently. They probably still think Fultz is their man for the future, but I'd have to think someone as seriously in his head as Fultz would benefit from spending time with someone as cool and collected as Fred.

Comment

• Yeah i'm pretty sure the 76ers biggest concern now isn't anyone else but Lebron James. They won't do a thing until he signs somewhere. And right now they are 2nd favorite landing spot according to Vegas odds.

Comment

Working...
                        X