No announcement yet.

Fred is a Raptor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shree, thanks for the link above. Great to see, isn't it? I also see where the same author has an indepth piece on Fred, the link to which is front and center on their NBA home page.

THE BENCH BOSS
    BY MICHAEL GRANGE IN TORONTO
    Fred VanVleet isn't the most athletic Toronto Raptors player. Definitely not the tallest. Or the fastest. But he might be the smartest, the most tenacious and the one who knows that no matter how bad things get on the court, life could be much, much worse.

He isn't the most athletic Toronto Raptor. But he might be the smartest, and the one who knows that no matter how bad things get, life could be much worse.

Comment

• ShockTalk
      ShockTalk commented
      Editing a comment
      A lot of great quotes from others about Fred. Really like to have a poster of that picture at the beginning of the article.

• Usually 6MOY is a stats award, going to whatever bench player averages a ton of points. But I honestly think Fred is the NBA's best sixth man. From his absurd net rating, to his leadership around the other bench players, to the way the best team in the east ends almost every game relying on his skill in clutch situations, he is the essence of what you want from your sixth man.

I would not be shocked to see him get some run for the award, particularly if Toronto ends the season still on this hot streak. One thing helping him out is the relative lack of individual accolades the Raptors are likely to earn. If they are trying to find awards to give to represent the best in the east, I think it is more likely Fred gets 6MOY than they get a third All-NBA mention or anyone on All-Defense (though Fred probably would be up for consideration as a starter, as shown when he dominated arguably the 3rd best PG of all time in Chris Paul).

Comment

• Originally posted by Signman View Post
      Net Rating
      1. Fred VanVleetTOR 15.2
      2. Stephen CurryGSW 14.7
      3. Chris PaulHOU 13.9
      4. Shaun LivingstonGSW 12.7
      5. Luc Mbah a MouteHOU 11.9
      6. Eric GordonHOU 11.9
      7. PJ TuckerHOU 11.7
      8. Jakob PoeltlTOR 11.7
      9. OG AnunobyTOR 11.5
      10. Royce O'NealeUTA 11.5
      Jordan Bell GSW 15.9
      Nene Houston 15.5

Still, number three ain't too shabby!
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        In other words, they don't count, just like any other sport that requires a minimum in a stat.

• im4wsu
        im4wsu commented
        Editing a comment
        Huh? All I said was that there was no minimum stated on the entire list and I didn't see the short list first. I never said anything about counting or not counting. You asked a question and I answered it truthfully. I may choose not to answer you in the future.

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        im4wsu, you are putting way to much into what I said. Thanks to both you and Signman for the explanation. I also did not see Signman's comment before I commented, nor did I know you didn't see the "short list" or qualifying list for that stat.

I'm simply saying, based on NBA minimum requirements, Fred is currently #1. Bell and Nene aren't considered

• I also noted that Fred was tied for tenth on the A/TO ratio at 3.02 with Barea, on the long list, but Barea shows as 3.0 on the short-list. Confusing
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:

Comment

• Fred not on game roster today. Any idea why?

Comment

• Cdizzle
          Cdizzle commented
          Editing a comment
          Out with a bruised right hand

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
        Fred not on game roster today. Any idea why?
        Roster press release shows him inactive with a right hand contusion

Comment

• RoyalShock
          RoyalShock commented
          Editing a comment
          Confucius say, right hand contusion cause roster confusion.

Or was that said by Kung Wu?

• Huh.....Freddy misses a game and their 375 game winning streak comes to an end.....intriguing.

Comment

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          "The score was tied 119-119 when Lowery fouled out with 3:19 remaining. Westbrook immediately drove for a layup past Wright, Lowry's replacement. After Wright missed a layup at the other end, Westbrook added another layup to cap a personal 10-point run and give Oklahoma City a 123-119 lead with 2:38 remaining."

• Fred will be available for the Raptors tonight for their game against the Cavs (6PM CT on ESPN)

Comment

• Fred with 11 so far halfway through the 2nd period. 4 of 7 shooting, including 3 of 4 from three.

Comment

• fred has 11 points in the first half (so far) against the cavs in cleveland.

how did he not make the 2015 (?) pan-am basketball team?

Comment

• Windiwu
            Windiwu commented
            Editing a comment
            Laughs.... I think most would agree it was more that Few wasn't *allowed* to take him.

• ShockingButTrue
            ShockingButTrue commented
            Editing a comment
            Wasn't Turg an "adviser" at the try-out competition?

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            I think Turg may have been inolved. His boy, the hugely over-hyped and over-rated Melo Trimble, made the team.

• Freddie killin it @ CLEVE - subs in 2nd and gets the lead - leaves game as leading scorer - that boy good !
          For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
          - said no one ever...

Comment

• 14 pts at the half for Fred! Raptors up 79-64....yes 79 in a half

Comment

• Where did his skeptics go that said he was not NBA good?
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                WSUwatcher commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, one of them is coaching a mediocre Maryland team...

• He also getting halftime love.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                Where did his skeptics go that said he was not NBA good?
                Ask an expert like Doug Gottlieb why.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                X