Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ron Baker was a Knick, and now is a Wizard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had no idea a potential draftee could opt out and not get drafted by a particular team but rather wait it out to select a better fit for themselves. That's AWESOME!!!
    Sounds like Fred did himself well and Ron...my goodness...Scott City to the Big Apple??? Are you serious? That young man is destined for all kinds of good stuff!!! Plus being reunited with Cle. Just try to stay out of the strip bars fellas... Lol
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
      And would've been a first rounder if he had played at a P-5 school.
      Most likely yes. Especially if he was on Cal's or Boeheim's team. Damn "shoe contract" money trail....
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
        Plus being reunited with Cle. Just try to stay out of the strip bars fellas... Lol
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Most likely yes. Especially if he was on Cal's or Boeheim's team. Damn "shoe contract" money trail....
          or, World Wide Wes.
          Phi Alpha

Comment

Had no idea a potential draftee could opt out and not get drafted by a particular team but rather wait it out to select a better fit for themselves. That's AWESOME!!!
            99% sure the potential draftee cannot opt out, but if candidly asked if he would like to sign at whatever value range the team offers the draftee can say I would not be very happy with the arrangement.
            Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

I imagine Fred indicated he would not sign for whatever second round money he would be getting. The last thing a team wants is to waste a pick.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                I imagine Fred indicated he would not sign for whatever second round money he would be getting. The last thing a team wants is to waste a pick.
                There isn't really such a thing as second round money. There is a league minimum salary. If the drafting team failed to offer him a league minimum contract by September, he would be free to go wherever if he so chose. What was discussed in the Fred NBA thread was that the drafting team would be likely to ask him if he'd play in the D-League for a year, so the team would retain its rights to sign him. He then told them he would not do that, so those teams passed.

Ultimately, you're right that the teams passed because it would have been a waste of a draft pick (since Fred would exercise his rights to play somewhere else). It is clear, though, that Fred isn't arguing about the difference between the league minimum ~500k and 600k. He just told them he wouldn't play in the D-League for 20k so that they would retain their rights to sign him next year.

Comment

I never knew Ron had native blood. Nice article with lots of info of the Shockers connection to the Knicks.

Comment

Originally posted by sekshoxfan View Post
                    I never knew Ron had native blood. Nice article with lots of info of the Shockers connection to the Knicks.

http://www.ndnsports.com/new-york-kn...league-roster/
                    Nice catch, goes to show you learn something every day.

Comment

Ok, now THAT will be a Knicks jersey I will own some day.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

The official site of the National Basketball Association. Follow the action on NBA scores, schedules, stats, news, Team and Player news.

Interview with Ron after today's practice. Can also click a couple of other videos to see bits of practice from yesterday and today and Cle's interview from yesterday.
                        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

baker running point...

Comment

Man I'm gonna miss those 2 guys. There will NEVER be another Ron Baker and there will never be another Fred VanVleet. EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              Man I'm gonna miss those 2 guys. There will NEVER be another Ron Baker and there will never be another Fred VanVleet. EVER.
                              Well said, Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                                it's amazing that we had those two playing at the same time. Just think, if we had had Dave Stallworth and Xavier McDaniel at the same time!
                                And, by the way, I still miss Tekele Cotton. His improvement over 4 years was incredible.

Comment

Working...
                                X