Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ron Baker was a Knick, and now is a Wizard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
    The poor free throw shooter remark was about Wayne Selden.
    Thanks for clearing up my murky post.
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
      The poor free throw shooter remark was about Wayne Selden.
      Thanks for the help.

IMO Selden has more problems than free throw shooting.

Probably a nice, respectable person (something nice to say about him first for any beaker fans who disagree, but I bet a lot of them agree). Plus, he has tons of talent as shown by his McDonalds AA status.

-he's a LOSER who has done nothing to better himself in his 3 years at KU
      -no basketball IQ
      -disappears in all big games (I haven't seen many)
      -little defense
      -has no fire and hustle.

As opposed to players who have have worked their Fannie's off to get better like FVV, Ron Baker, Tekele Cotton, and even his team mate, Perry Ellis. I could go on but won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
        Yes, clearly Ron was an unproven small school talent who never had the chance to prove himself against the big dogs like Pittsburgh, Ohio State, Louisville, Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, Notre Dame, and Arizona under the bright lights. He is very much an unknown quality.

/Sarcasm
        Some guys are beyond embarrassment. Maxwell Ogden is apparently one of them, which is odd, because he actually seems to know a little about Baker's game.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
          Yes, clearly Ron was an unproven small school talent who never had the chance to prove himself against the big dogs like Pittsburgh, Ohio State, Louisville, Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, Notre Dame, and Arizona under the bright lights. He is very much an unknown quality.

/Sarcasm
          Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
          Some guys are beyond embarrassment. Maxwell Ogden is apparently one of them, which is odd, because he actually seems to know a little about Baker's game.
          I didn't see anything in the statement to suggest that the author thought this was an accurate assessment of Ron's game. He was just noting that Ron didn't get drafted because such a stigma does indeed exist in the NBA. Given that he goes on to be very complimentary of Ron's game, the intro should be read as a preemptive answer to the question, "If he is such a good pick up, why wasn't he drafted?" He wasn't drafted because of a stigma that exists in the draft, not because of a lack of ability on Ron's part. The author is simply correct in saying that.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

....but...but...Cleanthony Early was drafted in the 2nd round from a small school with a stigma. ;)
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                ....but...but...Cleanthony Early was drafted in the 2nd round from a small school with a stigma. ;)
                And would've been a first rounder if he had played at a P-5 school. Also, as much as I hate to say it, up to this point, he has yet to prove that what he learned here translates well to the NBA.
                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                  Also, as much as I hate to say it, up to this point, he has yet to prove that what he learned here translates well to the NBA.
                  The same could be said about a ton of ""P5"" (rolling my fing eyes) players who never stuck in the NBA.

And what do you think he should have learned at WSU that he didn't? Cle made the NBA because of "what he learned" here (plus all the various stops along the way, not to mention his talent and work ethic). He wasn't a perfect player when he left but there's only so much you can do within a two year span.
                  Last edited by pie n eye; June 28, 2016, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                    The same could be said about a ton of ""P5"" (rolling my fing eyes) players who never stuck in the NBA.

And what do you think he should have learned at WSU that he didn't? Cle has been on an NBA because of "what he learned" here (plus all the various stops along the way, not to mention his talent and work ethic). He wasn't a perfect player when he left but there's only so much you can do within a two year span.
                    Chill out dude. I love Cle. I think he learned a lot here. I think all of our players learn a lot here. I think that as far as just learning, our guys are at least as prepared as anyone in the country. I think if he was given ANY legitimate shot in the NBA, he'd be playing, but I don't think he got that with Fish and behind Melo. It pisses me off too, but if you don't think the "mid-major" guys have to prove themselves more than the "P-5" guys do, you're not watching very closely. One of the articles said that some scouts weren't sure if what Baker learned at WSU would translate to the NBA game. That's why I said that. My apologies if I didn't say it in a way that didn't get under your skin. None of us like it, but the stigma is still there, and if you're just looking to start an argument, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Comment

Cle was a scoring machine, and star in a program who thrives on team defense, passing, and other all around skills (not on star play). Cle didn't have all around skills but he could jump/rebound, score (especially from 3) in bunches, and run. He had good skills but was not a great all around player. It'd be nice to have another Cle.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                        I didn't see anything in the statement to suggest that the author thought this was an accurate assessment of Ron's game. He was just noting that Ron didn't get drafted because such a stigma does indeed exist in the NBA. Given that he goes on to be very complimentary of Ron's game, the intro should be read as a preemptive answer to the question, "If he is such a good pick up, why wasn't he drafted?" He wasn't drafted because of a stigma that exists in the draft, not because of a lack of ability on Ron's part. The author is simply correct in saying that.
                        I disagree that Ron wasn't drafted due to a small school stigma. He wasn't drafted because the NBA highly valued potential in the draft and free agency otherwise. Therefore, you end up with a bunch of players who aren't polished but teams hope can develop into a superstar or European players who aren't going to be in the NBA anyway and will save the team some money. The NBA front offices do not believe a small school stigma. Steph Curry says hi.

Then you end up with a bunch of guys like Ron and Fred who have a realistic shot at the NBA but outside of the draft.
                        You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

I know FVV said that he had two teams that called and wanted to draft him at 47 and 54, but he turned them down, because they wanted to stash him in the D League for two years, and he decided he'd rather sign his own deal and make his own way as a free agent than do that. I wonder if Ron had similar opportunities. They may both have been told ahead of time that if they weren't drafted, then team X would have Y amount of dollars for them as free agents, and that was their best option.

Comment

I'd say that undrafted free agents may even have better shots at rosters than 2nd round picks. Most of the 2nd round picks are draft and stash players that aren't yet ready for the NBA game. Guys like Ron may not have more upside, but they are ready to play right away if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              I'd say that undrafted free agents may even have better shots at rosters than 2nd round picks. Most of the 2nd round picks are draft and stash players that aren't yet ready for the NBA game. Guys like Ron may not have more upside, but they are ready to play right away if necessary.
                              That along with the fact that they can shop themselves around and decide what they think would be a good fit instead of being "owned" and unable to move for 2 years makes you exactly right IMO.

Comment

We'll probably never know but as fast after the draft as the word came out on Ron I certainly would not be surprised if Ron or his agent had some prior knowledge the Knicks were interested. There may have been others too I have a feeling.

Comment

Working...
                                X