Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ron Baker was a Knick, and now is a Wizard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How will Hornaceks departure affect Ron's future in New York?
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• 12eagle
      12eagle commented
      Editing a comment
      He has a player option in his contract for next year which I'm sure he will pick up.

• Shockersarelife
      Shockersarelife commented
      Editing a comment
      Coming off injury and 4.5 million reasons to pick up the option. Yea I think he'll stay put

• Aargh
      Aargh commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought his player option on the contract was for this year.

• Ron talks golf at the U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills.

Comment

• Poor Ron, is it going to take a miracle for him to stick around?

LAS VEGAS — A year ago, Knicks young guard Ron Baker sat atop the world, signing a shocking new two-year, $9 million contract with the coveted room exception. Off a promising Cinderella rooki…

Comment

• His injury may actually help him. Obviously instead of banging with guys right now, he is probably working on his 3 pointer ad nauseum. It has to be refreshing to a young coach to have someone at every practice, even when injured, truly trying to understand and adopt the new system right from the get go. I wouldn't be so quick to write Baker off, based on work ethic alone.

Let's hope he shows his stuff in August.
        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• I hope Baker succeeds, but it's not a good sign that he could potentially be squeezed out of an organization with a spotty track record in identifying talent.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• WSUwatcher
            WSUwatcher commented
            Editing a comment
            Seems backwards, Kel -- if the Knicks aren't good at recognizing what assets players bring to the team, shouldn't it help him to be with an organization that does a better job in that regard?

• Kel Varnsen
            Kel Varnsen commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm saying that if he can't find playing time with the Knicks, he's going to struggle with playing time elsewhere.

• Hopefully there are some other teams out there has been keeping an eye on him, I'd imagine there are a few teams interested in his leadership and defense. If he gets waived he could be picked up at the minimum since the Knicks will still be on the hook for the rest.

Comment

• He is a wealthy man. His future is fully in his hands.
            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
              He is a wealthy man. His future is fully in his hands.
              By the end of the year, he'll have made nearly $9.5 million. Say he spent a full million, 5% return on $8,000,000 is $400,000 per year. And he has an education, good looks and a terrific personality.
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Aargh
                Aargh commented
                Editing a comment
                I had the same thought, but I adjusted for agent fees, Federal taxes, and NY state taxes and figured he'd be coming away with about $4 or $5 mill. Even with very conservative investments, that's $100K to $200K a year for life that's over and above anything he can earn . Not bad for someone 25 years old. If being a HS basketball coach is what he wants to do, he could do that and live a somewhat better life than you'd expect for that occupation. Not saying that being a HS coach is what he wants, just an example.

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
              I hope Baker succeeds, but it's not a good sign that he could potentially be squeezed out of an organization with a spotty track record in identifying talent.
              Maybe. Ron's strengths are heavily weighted in the areas of intangibles that are not seen in statistics (defense, passing, ball movement, unselfishness, etc.). His teammates such as Carmelo Anthony nonticed them as well. I would venture if Jeff Hornacek, and Anthony saw these intangibles in him, there may be someone else who sees the same things.

Comment

• Obviously you want to see Ron play a long as possible in the NBA but if that is not in the cards for him therere other options to continue making good money playing basketball. Not anywhere near NBA money but still more than a decent living.

Comment

• He needs to make sure he has that "nice" "escape ranch" paid for in western Kansas.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• We need not worry about Fred and Ron. Not only are they winners, but they are two very strong and disciplined young men that will always bounce back from whatever minor adversities temporary might come their way.

Comment

• I don't see any possible way that Baker sticks with the Knicks. They've got a bunch of guards and he'll be the odd man out. At least his salary is guaranteed, so not such a bad deal.

Comment

• If not with the Knicks...some other team will snag him. He's a player...but in NY...he's on a bad team and organization.
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                        Number of Times Ranked: 157
                        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                        #3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                        #2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• I'll be glad to eat my words, but I don't see there being a huge market for him. We look through homer eyes, he's not exactly an NBA type player.

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                            Shocktoberfest commented
                            Editing a comment
                            How dare you?

• Stickboy46
                            Stickboy46 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            He's currently on an NBA roster ... so he's EXACTLY an NBA type player

• WSUwatcher
                            WSUwatcher commented
                            Editing a comment
                            To carry it one step further, Stick, he's currently on an NBA roster AND was paid a lot of money to be there using a roster maneuver that doesn't exactly grow on trees. So yes, he is indeed an NBA player.

As famed basketball guru and former Shocker Bill Parcells might put it, "you are what the roster says you are."
                        Working...
                        X