No announcement yet.

Official 2016 Melt Down Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As my pea brain was guarding against any meltdowns, I came up with 2 what ifs. What if Marshall, FVV, and Baker would have all left? While this did Not occur, it may have been a closer call than advertised. Next--what if we had no injuries all Season at all. Then what because Shamet is very good, FVV, would have missed no games along with Grady. Nevermind. We will take what we got, be happy and look forward to more goodness next Season.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
      Folks, this is the end of something special. I have a feeling our grandchildren and their children will be asking us about these last 4 years when we are all old and gray. Thank you, FVV, RB, EW, AG, and BW. Thank you for the best 4 years of Shocker basketball in a long, long time.
      My hope is that we get them all mixed up with the upcoming years and they walk away shaking their heads and rolling their eyes.

Comment

Getting stuck in the play-in game was another "screw you" from the Committee. We've definitely had our share of those - including playing KU last year. I'm confiden6t the committee set that game up so KU could show WSU how the P5 teams play the agme. If so, they accomplished that.

Losing before the S16 is disappointing. Not many fans of many teams can say that! Going 2-1 against the NCAA field can NEFVER be considered anything less than a great accomplishment.

30 years from now WSU fans will remember Baker and VanVleet the way we remember Carr and Levingston. Wessel will be in those discussions, too.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

There was disappointment during this season. I don't think any of us thought we'd lose 9 games. Thinking back to last April, when we got the news that Ron and Fred would return, along with the GREAT news that HCGM was coming back, I think we all thought that the Final Four awaited. The anticipation all summer was huge as we waited for November. Ron making the PanAm team was great---we were thrilled to watch him play in Canada and our anticipation grew. Somehow, the season never seemed to gel...the rough start, the injury to Fred, the horrible Florida tournament, Landry's injury, the staggering injury to Grady (and the joy of his recovery), beating St. Louis, UNLV, Nevada--the huge win vs. Utah at Intrust, Seton Hall (ugh)...much of this was put in the back of our minds as the Valley got off to a good start...but still not playing our best. Then the losses to ISU and UNI on successive weekends...the very fine Senior Day...the dreaded tournament in St. Louis with another loss to UNI...the stinking NCAA...and the relief of at least getting in...the so-so game vs. Vanderbilt followed by the great win vs. AZ....and then today....the first half was so indicative of much of the season...the very rough start...the fighting back...the taking the lead...the fade at the end...today's game was the entire season rolled into 40 minutes of basketball....and I'd like to watch the entire season again. I love the Shockers...bring on next year!
          Last edited by Singeril; March 19, 2016, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Still got a bad taste in my mouth after losing to the same coach with a different team in the big dance... And the fact that we came back to take the lead and couldn't hold the momentum because certain players weren't on the same page... Rashard Kelly

Comment

Question: Did Fred get the career record for steals today. FVV and Bake were sooo good at that along with so many other things.
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                Question: Did Fred get the career record for steals today. FVV and Bake were sooo good at that along with so many other things.
                Yes

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                  Still got a bad taste in my mouth after losing to the same coach with a different team in the big dance... And the fact that we came back to take the lead and couldn't hold the momentum because certain players weren't on the same page... Rashard Kelly
                  He now has his new EW whipping dog.

Comment

People who aren't fans of Kelly and weren't fans of EW should probably find a new team to support for the duration of HCGM's stay. These guys embody Play Angry and our defense-first attitude. I imagine there will always be room on the roster (and really the starting lineup) for guys like them.

Comment

Roy Williams bitterly complains over getting the late night game........wait, let me wipe the
                      tear from my eye. He (UNC) get two patsies to play and ***** about playing the late
                      evening games. Wonder what he would do if they got the treatment we did and not just this year.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                        People who aren't fans of Kelly and weren't fans of EW should probably find a new team to support for the duration of HCGM's stay. These guys embody Play Angry and our defense-first attitude. I imagine there will always be room on the roster (and really the starting lineup) for guys like them.
                        Yeah. Kelly was our best offensive rebounder. Marshall wouldn't play him if he wasnt helping the team be successful.
                        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post

So you're saying Kelly is better than Shaq, or that he's better than McDuffie, or that he's better than Darrlyn Willis? You must be smoking something this morning.

I see Kelly coming off the bench again next year. Yes, he gets offensive rebounds, but he also plays a little carelessly and out of control. Saying he's better than Willis implies Willis will be a bust. I disagree with your half-baked conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                            So you're saying Kelly is better than Shaq, or that he's better than McDuffie, or that he's better than Darrlyn Willis? You must be smoking something this morning.

I see Kelly coming off the bench again next year. Yes, he gets offensive rebounds, but he also plays a little carelessly and out of control. Saying he's better than Willis implies Willis will be a bust. I disagree with your half-baked conclusion.
                            Or maybe it's saying he doesn't think they will be playing the same position. Can't wait for another entire offseason of people trying to put players in their "more natural" position

Comment

Look, we can both count. You have two (or three) positions. C, PF, and SF. SF: Brown/McDuffie. PF Shaq, Willis and McDuffie. C Shaq/Wills and maybe some Juco were recruiting.

Where in any of these scenarios does RKelly displac any of these players? Plus PF absolutely killed us this year, as a number of others have pointed out on the future thread.

I hope we're done with the 'We must start X because he has all these intangibles' talk.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

30 years from now WSU fans will remember Baker and VanVleet the way we remember Carr and Levingston. Wessel will be in those discussions, too.
                                Wessel will be the Karl Papke of the Carr/Levingston era.

Comment

Working...
                                X