BCS Bracket Buster concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCS Bracket Buster concept

How about this as a tool to resolve the SOS excuse that BCS schools love to use to exclude "mid-majors" from their Tournament:
    Take the last week of the calendar year, which is also normally when schools play their final non-conference games and set up an event similar to Bracket Busters.
    The top "power conference" schools and the top "non-power conference" schools meet head-to-head on one schools' home floor and then return the game the following season.

So this year, you could have had:
    Duke and Drake
    UNC and Gonzaga
    KU and Memphis
    Georgetown and Oral Roberts
    Syracuse and Illinois State
    UCLA and Butler

OK, now don't get too hung up on the teams. Imagine a home-home Bracket Buster format with those types of matchups involving about 20 teams. Let the crying begin.

Now we need a name for the event. In true ESPN fashion, I would suggest calling it "Equality Week". Or maybe "No Sissy Week."

This would be a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by 7hottamales
      This would be a lot of fun.
      Which is why it would never happen.

By definition, "No Sissy Week" excludes a large majority of the BCS teams anyway. :yes:

Comment

bracket buster

I like the idea, only it should include teams truly expected to be on the bubble. For example mid-majors versus middle of the pack majors such as KState, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Arkansas, AZ State, etc. That would really let the major conferences understand how their 4th, 5th and 6th teams stack up against the mid and lower major teams.

Comment

I love it.
          Maryland vs. Creighton
          SIU vs. Kentucky

Comment

WSU vs Colorado...maybe?

Comment

Sounds like fun, but not on the last game of the year. I want that to be a conference game.

Comment

Charlie, I think the time-frame he's talking about is between Christmas and New Years.

Comment

Re: BCS Bracket Buster concept

Originally posted by ISASO
                  How about this as a tool to resolve the SOS excuse that BCS schools love to use to exclude "mid-majors" from their Tournament:
                  Take the last week of the calendar year, which is also normally when schools play their final non-conference games and set up an event similar to Bracket Busters.
                  The top "power conference" schools and the top "non-power conference" schools meet head-to-head on one schools' home floor and then return the game the following season.

So this year, you could have had:
                  Duke and Drake
                  UNC and Gonzaga
                  KU and Memphis
                  Georgetown and Oral Roberts
                  Syracuse and Illinois State
                  UCLA and Butler

OK, now don't get too hung up on the teams. Imagine a home-home Bracket Buster format with those types of matchups involving about 20 teams. Let the crying begin.

Now we need a name for the event. In true ESPN fashion, I would suggest calling it "Equality Week". Or maybe "No Sissy Week."
                  Call it "Boeheim Bonanza Week"

Of course mocking jim boeheim because he wouldn't ever have the grapes to play in it.
                  That rug really tied the room together.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                    Charlie, I think the time-frame he's talking about is between Christmas and New Years.

Oh, the final non-conference game, I see now. I read that wrong.

Comment

How about it Charlie? Arkansas v. Creighton at the Qwest Center with a return game the following year to Fayettville?

Comment

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......pig ALTMAN.

Comment

I doubt power conferences would go for a bracketbuster-type game. At least locally we could solve some of the OOC problems for local non-BCS teams.

How about The Sprint Shoot-Out in Kansas City? The same eight teams every year, seeded a few weeks before the games. Big 12 schools wouldn't play each other. 1's play 1's, etc. Just the four games - not really a tournament. If the big boys lose ... well it was a neutral court, so there is less crying (although there will still be crying). Each school shares profits. The dang building is just sitting there with 19,000 seats waiting to be filled for something like this. The Big 12 Tourney was unreal - especially the atmosphere around the arena. Get ESPN involved and get the games televised, at least regionally. If it was played around Christmas, when traveling fans have holiday cash to spend, it would generate a lot of money for Kansas City. And each school is within three-hours' drive or less. Come on, Kansas City! Get it done.

(4)Mizzou vs. (4)UMKC, Noon
                          (3)Nebraska vs. (3)Wichita State, 3 p.m.
                          (2)Kansas State vs. (2)Missouri State, 6 p.m.
                          (1)Kansas vs (1)Creighton, 9 p.m.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

It is pretty clear that the 6 Power Conferences are in an adversarial position with the rest of the NCAA D-1 schools (which I agree probably need to be culled down quite a bit).

It is going to be very difficult to get the 6PC's to accept anything that the non-PC's are excited about.

After another couple of strong recruiting classes the Shockers and their brethren may have to swallow their pride and simply accept some buy-in games and 2 for 1's with some of the PC's. Hopefully, we can be successful enough that eventually we can scale back or eliminate this, but it will probably take a decade of sustained success.

Beyond that we need more inter-league scheduling between the top 4 or 5 rated conferences right below the 6 PC's.

There has to be a lot of good matchups among these best of class non-PC's that we are not taking advantage of (i.e. Tulsa, ORU, Gonzaga, Butler, etc.)

Comment

Or, the Intrust Arena Shootout in Wichita?
                              Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Working...
                              X