Whose Side Are We On?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whose Side Are We On?

This does have plenty to do with BB, but it may take a little time to figure out what.

I don’t doubt for a moment that the members on this board are all die hard Shocker fans, who without question, are tremendous supporters and pull for our team(s) to win, regardless of anything. But the forever continual squabbling that goes on reminds me of a story related to me and a small group of fellow officers at the Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, by the then, Supreme Allied Commander Europe and the Commander of NATO forces in Europe. He, later went on to even more important positions in our government. I cannot vouch 100% concerning the accuracy, but I never had any reason to disbelieve it.

This is how I remember it from 39 years ago. He was using this story to emphasis the need to always issue clear cut orders to your soldiers so that they fully understand the mission and what they are required to do.

Actual fact: President Dwight D. Eisenhower issued the following address to the nation upon the landing of United States Marines at Beirut, on July 15, 1958.

“I believe that the presence of the United States forces now being sent to Lebanon will have a stabilizing effect which will preserve the independence and integrity of Lebanon. It will also afford an increased measure of security to the thousands of Americans who reside in Lebanon. We hope that this result will quickly be attained and that our forces can be promptly withdrawn. We must, however, be prepared to meet the situation, whatever be the consequences. We can do so, confident that we strive for a world in which nations, be they great or be they small, can preserve their independence. We are striving for an ideal which is close to the heart of every American and for which in the past many Americans have laid down their lives. To serve these ideals is also to serve the cause of peace, security and well-being, not only for us, but for all men everywhere.”

And this is the story: The Naval Commander of the US Task Force Fleet, off the coast of Lebanon, received this message from the Office of the Pentagon:

“Proceed with the landing! Set up defensive positions! Take immediate action to ensure the safety of all American citizens in-country! And, if attacked, take whatever action is deemed necessary to defeat the enemy!”

The Naval Commander then relayed this message to the Marine Corps Commander making the ground assault, who after receiving his orders replied: “I understand, Sir, but I have one question, “Whose Frigging side are we on?”

Perhaps we should take the Marine Corps Commander’s words more to heart and remember we are always on (and so is the other guy/gal we are arguing with) the side of WSU and the young men who give their all.
Working...
X