No announcement yet.

Shocker Madness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do believe this event would draw better now than it would've in the past if it was advertised in advance and at a more convenient time for the public. There's never been this much hype surrounding the team (at least not that I remember, but I wasn't here for the 80s teams, etc.). That being said, if that's not what 3G and his staff wants, it's hard to argue with the success of said staff.
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

I will believe that until HCGM publicly says he is unhappy with the way Shocker Madness is handled then it is what it is. Personally I would favor a scrimmage and perhaps something akin to volleyball 101 where some of the nuances are explained. I know, horrible sound inside CKA precludes a lot of explanation but maybe a cheat sheet handed out along with rosters and backgrounds of the players. Have the cheerleaders and Shocker Sound use this as a prep for the first home game. If people in Wichita aren't all hyped up to attend they aren't going to even if you give them a months notice. Would having more student involvement help....probably. But until HCGM thinks its broke its not going to change.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
        If people in Wichita aren't all hyped up to attend they aren't going to even if you give them a months notice.
        I agree with all but this part. I am hyped up to attend. I am excited that I MAY be able to attend. I want to attend. But, if it's on a weeknight, that's extremely difficult because I have an 8 year old daughter that has to be fed, helped with homework, showered, and put to bed early enough to not be a complete asshat the next day because she didn't get enough sleep. With a little more notice, at least some of those issues may be able to be somewhat alleviated.

Comment

I want smoke! Color flood lights and a disco ball! Confetti and glitter everywhere! Give me obnoxiously loud hip hop music and Octoberfest chicks in lederhosen! Let's do this right!!
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            I want smoke! Give me Octoberfest chicks in lederhosen! Let's do this right!!
            FIFY

Comment

I just want it not to be so lame.

Comment

If Gregg wanted this to be a big deal, it would be.

He doesn't care, so you shouldn't.

Go or don't. Gregg doesn't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  I want smoke! Color flood lights and a disco ball! Confetti and glitter everywhere! Give me obnoxiously loud hip hop music and Octoberfest chicks in lederhosen! Let's do this right!!
                  "Octoberfest chicks"? I change my mind; I'm there!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by chitown_shocker View Post
                    If Gregg wanted this to be a big deal, it would be.

He doesn't care, so you shouldn't.

Go or don't. Gregg doesn't care.
                    I tire of this rationale.

Marshall is terrifically important to our University, but let's be very clear, his is not THE basketball program, THE University, or THE city of Wichita. All are bigger than he is. I'm not saying this to crap on 3G; please don't misinterpret. I'm saying the deification of Marshall by adorers gets old. He is human like the rest of us, and while we do justifiably hold him on a pedestal he is not the second coming of Barack Obama. The man's actions and opinions are still up for debate.

In this case, if it is true that 3G is not keen on SM, then that position is worthy of discussion, because it is no secret that flashy, superficial things such as preseason celebrations, video intros, and shoe/uni brands matter to the modern crop of recruits, as silly as it might seem to some of us. Ultimately, that is the heart of this debate: Is SM in its modern form a help or a hindrance to recruiting? Some of us believe that is it possibly tilted towards the latter, unfortunately.

Comment

You don't have to agree with him but if others want to give him his way in unimportant ways as a scrimmage, I'm with them. Sorry but he is the winningest and best coach in Shocker history. That means a great deal to a lot of fans.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                        You don't have to agree with him but if others want to give him his way in unimportant ways as a scrimmage, I'm with them. Sorry but he is the winningest and best coach in Shocker history. That means a great deal to a lot of fans.
                        I'm not advocating a heavy-handed approach, or forcing something down his throat.

Comment

Personally, I enjoy and look forward to shocker madness every year. Especially the low key manner it's been presented recently.

As far as the complaints about weekend vs weekday and advertising the event I say this, we are here on shockernet talking about Shocker Madness. We are obviously aware of the event. We know it's been on a Thursday in the past. We know it's typically about the same time every year. That seems like plenty of information to allow for a person to make it to the event, at least it is for me. It sounds like some people just want to be able to use this events attendance numbers in the pissing contests they routinely engage in with other fan bases.

I could honestly care less how many people show up. I just want a chance to see the new players in action.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                            Personally, I enjoy and look forward to shocker madness every year. Especially the low key manner it's been presented recently.

As far as the complaints about weekend vs weekday and advertising the event I say this, we are here on shockernet talking about Shocker Madness. We are obviously aware of the event. We know it's been on a Thursday in the past. We know it's typically about the same time every year. That seems like plenty of information to allow for a person to make it to the event, at least it is for me. It sounds like some people just want to be able to use this events attendance numbers in the pissing contests they routinely engage in with other fan bases.

I could honestly care less how many people show up. I just want a chance to see the new players in action.
                            I agree as well as disagree with different parts of this statement, but have the same final goal, which is to see the youngsters and get a fix on Shocker hoops to hold me over until the season starts. I do have what I'm guessing will appear to be a stupid question to some of those with superior knowledge, but because I've never attended, I don't know for sure that my logic is accurate. Just based on this information, would the safest assumption be that Shocker Madness will be either on October 1st or 8th at 6pm?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                              I agree as well as disagree with different parts of this statement, but have the same final goal, which is to see the youngsters and get a fix on Shocker hoops to hold me over until the season starts. I do have what I'm guessing will appear to be a stupid question to some of those with superior knowledge, but because I've never attended, I don't know for sure that my logic is accurate. Just based on this information, would the safest assumption be that Shocker Madness will be either on October 1st or 8th at 6pm?
                              My guess is closer to the 15th.
                              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                                while we do justifiably hold him on a pedestal he is not the second coming of Barack Obama.
                                I should hope not.
                                The current U.S. president tears things down.
                                Quite to the contrary...
                                Our coach Gregg Marshall builds things up!!!
                                FINAL FOURS:
                                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                                #3 - Dec. 2017
                                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                                #2 ~ March 2014
                                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                                X