Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What must happen to get us over the hump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What must happen to get us over the hump?

One of those pointless offseason threads, but what does everyone feel is the key to WSU being able to win a Championship next season?

I debated pretty hard about going with Evans offensive game. I think if Evans going to be a starter he's going to need to be able to score more than 4 ppg. I decided to go with a different route. My answer is Bush Wamakota.

We can expect to get great guard play next season and I feel we can pencil in Grady and Morris and being good contributors down low. I feel what WSU needs to get them over the hump is for Womakota to make great strides on the defensive side of the ball. If he can become a rim protector and legit defensive big man who can help the whole team out on defensive, I feel that could be our missing piece. Someone who can clean up mistakes and make life difficult for the opposing teams around the rim.

Based on our results over the last several years? Be about four to five points better against elite teams than we have been. That's a "hump" that all but one team in the country every year have. In two of the last three years we were a shot or two of knocking off the eventual champion and the eventual runner up. In the other year we shot 16% from three against a team that shot nearly 50%.

Just looking at last year specifically, we definitely need a better post defensive presence. But even with a better post defensive presence I don't particularly think we would have beat Notre Dame with the way either of our non-post players played offensively.

There's a lot of luck that goes into that "hump." Get luckier and have a better post game. And replace Cotton in the starting lineup with a good defender who can combine with Wessel to average at least 14 ppg.
    Originally posted by BleacherReport
    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

The Shockers will be in the NCAA Tournament and should have a pretty good seed. As much as this is a simplistic response, here is the key to having our One Shining Moment: LUCK.

Seriously....that's the key. Have good matchups on the road to Houston. The 2014 team was so much better than the 2013 team, but 2013 had great breaks...not so much in 2014.
      78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
        The Shockers will be in the NCAA Tournament and should have a pretty good seed. As much as this is a simplistic response, here is the key to having our One Shining Moment: LUCK.

Seriously....that's the key. Have good matchups on the road to Houston. The 2014 team was so much better than the 2013 team, but 2013 had great breaks...not so much in 2014.
        I don't know that we necessarily got breaks in 2013, considering we had to go through a 1 & 2 seed. La Salle was a break, but they were the only double digit seed we faced.

But i do agree that luck is the missing piece. Like a walk on hitting clutch three pointers when we are down 10 (Louisville). Or maybe banking in three pointers when we are desperately needing something to fall (Kentucky). Or just get crazy hot for our toughest games (Notre Dame).

Crazy to think that's the missing piece.
        You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
          I don't know that we necessarily got breaks in 2013, considering we had to go through a 1 & 2 seed. La Salle was a break, but they were the only double digit seed we faced.

But i do agree that luck is the missing piece. Like a walk on hitting clutch three pointers when we are down 10 (Louisville). Or maybe banking in three pointers when we are desperately needing something to fall (Kentucky). Or just get crazy hot for our toughest games (Notre Dame).

Crazy to think that's the missing piece.
          Yes, we beat a 1 and 2, but both were good matchups for us. Ohio State was certainly tough, but we would have done quite well against Gonzaga in a 7-game series.
          78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
            Yes, we beat a 1 and 2, but both were good matchups for us. Ohio State was certainly tough, but we would have done quite well against Gonzaga in a 7-game series.
            We were pretty lucky to win the one game we had, thanks to 23 points in 9 possessions.
            You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
              We were pretty lucky to win the one game we had, thanks to 23 points in 9 possessions.
              Yep! Like a former walk-on hitting clutch threes.
              Livin the dream

Comment

I'm a KU fan but I'm from Wichita I think wsu is a good team and will have a good year, but KU for the first time in a while has an expierenced squad both of the too main Kansas teams (kstate basketball lol) but I think KU will be the better team sorry die hard wsu fans (or bandwagoners for wsu they can be the same)

Comment

Originally posted by Jayhawks View Post
                  I'm a KU fan but I'm from Wichita I think wsu is a good team and will have a good year, but KU for the first time in a while has an expierenced squad both of the too main Kansas teams (kstate basketball lol) but I think KU will be the better team sorry die hard wsu fans (or bandwagoners for wsu they can be the same)
                  Can somebody ban this 2nd grade grammar jabberer already?
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I'm having trouble even following whatever language you are speaking

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      Can somebody ban this 2nd grade grammar jabberer already?
                      Are we sure this isn't trueshock?

Comment

Originally posted by Jayhawks View Post
                        As long as they chawkers can avoid playing MVC teams, they will accumulate "quality losses" by the handful and be seeded number 1 again
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I think I'd like to hear the rundown, player for player, on why KU will be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                            Are we sure this isn't trueshock?
                            Ding, ding, ding, ding.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

As long as wsu plays crap teams all year then believe they are the best when all you have is vanvleet and baker led by Marshall but when they graduate things WILL get ugly Marshall will eventually go get a job at a power 5 conference school were he will have a real chance to win a title

Comment

Working...
                              X