Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CharlieHog
    Originally posted by shockfan89
    Does MT’s lack of success after inheriting proven talent at TAM actually help us to keep HCGM? Meaning will another BCS AD take a risk on an “unproven” coach from a mid-major? I doubt it will have much to do with it, but interesting to think about…

Texas A&M is 21-8 in one of the top leagues in the country (I'd say 2nd behind the PAC 10). Considering they lost Acie Law (leading scorer), I don't think I'd call it a "lack of success."

It looks like College Hoops Net predicted them to finish 5th in the Big 12 (that's where they are) and go to the NIT.
    They are 7-7 and tied for 5th - 8th. They have games at Baylor and with KU at home. They could easily finish 7-9 and as low as 9th. Lack of success may be a stretch at this point but if they drop the next two and finish 7th or lower I think that it will be lack of success for what they had returning and what was expected this year.

Comment

A little more traction for the Capel/USC rumor:

It could be total BS, but with newspapers in SC and OK saying similar things, who knows.

FWIW, that same site is also saying that Detroit (the school) is talking with Kelvin Sampson.

Comment

If Capel goes it USC, then i could really see Scott Sutton go to OU for some reason.
        Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I realize that Capel is from the area, but wouldn't So. Carolina be a step down from Oklahoma?

Comment

I should also add that there is always a question of believability with "rumor" sites. And in this case, their credibility isn't helped when they claim that Anthony Grant to LSU is all but done. I seem to recall VCU denying permission for anyone to speak with Grant.

Of course, maybe those denials are only to protect against a coach leaving in mid-season and in reality there isn't a restriction on talks occuring.

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
              If Capel goes it USC, then i could really see Scott Sutton go to OU for some reason.
              I doubt it.

That would be as likely as KSU having hired Turgeon away from Wichita.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum
                I realize that Capel is from the area, but wouldn't So. Carolina be a step down from Oklahoma?
                Not if his ultimate goal is an eventual ACC job. He'll get more attention in their back yard. And you never know. If he succeeds at USC, Duke might turn to him over Dawkins someday.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                  Not if his ultimate goal is an eventual ACC job. He'll get more attention in their back yard. And you never know. If he succeeds at USC, Duke might turn to him over Dawkins someday.
                  You don't think that if he continues to build at OU that he would be offered an ACC job if he wants one? Even though farther away, I'd say OU is a significantly higher profile job than SoCar.

Comment

You don't think that is he continues to build at OU that he would be offered an ACC job if he wants one? Even though farther away, I'd say OU is a significantly higher profile job than SoCar.
                    I wouldn't say that OU is significantly higher profile considering how much better east coast schools are viewed from out there (not counting the elites like UK, KU, UA, UCLA, etc.)

Comment

You don't think that is he continues to build at OU that he would be offered an ACC job if he wants one? Even though farther away, I'd say OU is a significantly higher profile job than SoCar.
                      I disagree... both are about equal in my opinion and they will always be known as football schools. South Carolina might even have a greater upside than OU for Men's basketball.

A good friend of mine played basketball at OU in the 90’s… when Turgeon was being courted by OU after the Sweet Sixteen (FWIW), he told me that he would be very surprised if Turgeon accepted the OU job… he stated that WSU was a BETTER BASKETBALL SCHOOL than OU... he said basketball will always be second or third at OU. Yes, he was “shocked” when Turgeon ended up accepting a job at a football school a year later… as he said, “money talks and BS walks.”
                      SFL is back!

Comment

I don't think that's what led to Turgeon turning down 0U. I think it had more to do with he's still a KU guy and couldn't accept coaching at rival 0U.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I grew up a south carolina fan, but went to wintrhop, so my loyaly is very much in winthrop's corner...while i would hate it for you guys, i still would love to see marshall take the carolina job. nevertheless, i don't think it will happen. in part because marshall has not been successful with the shox so far and that has caused him to lose some of the luster that he developed during his tenure at winthrop...the upside for you guys is that i absolutely believe he will turn the corner at wsu and will be as successful as all of you hope he and the shox will be.

a side note on capel to south carolina. if he makes the move, i think it will be a case of him chasing the dollar. carolina will be trying to put together a serious package to land the coach of their choice. also oklahoma has a much richer baskeball tradition than the gamecocks do. my point being that he's as likely to find success at oklahoma, if not more so, than at south carolina. also, while basketball is second fiddle to football at oklahoma, its just as much the case at carolina (sans the winning tradition).

good luck in the conference tournament and go shockers!

Comment

Thanks Curtis

Comment

leave the state of Nebraska, what a tool. :lol: :lol:
                              ________
                              MYWEBCAMSHOOKUP
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

Wow...

Comment

Working...
                                X