No announcement yet.

This has to be asked (South Carolina).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's possible he would leave if he could but I think the man is smart enough to realize the ordeal would make him look really bad if he left after one year and a big losing season.

Comment

Does MT’s lack of success after inheriting proven talent at TAM actually help us to keep HCGM? Meaning will another BCS AD take a risk on an “unproven” coach from a mid-major? I doubt it will have much to do with it, but interesting to think about…

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89
        Does MT’s lack of success after inheriting proven talent at TAM actually help us to keep HCGM? Meaning will another BCS AD take a risk on an “unproven” coach from a mid-major? I doubt it will have much to do with it, but interesting to think about…

Texas A&M is 21-8 in one of the top leagues in the country (I'd say 2nd behind the PAC 10). Considering they lost Acie Law (leading scorer), I don't think I'd call it a "lack of success."

It looks like College Hoops Net predicted them to finish 5th in the Big 12 (that's where they are) and go to the NIT.

Comment

The way that they have lost has to be a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog

Texas A&M is 21-8 in one of the top leagues in the country (I'd say 2nd behind the PAC 10). Considering they lost Acie Law (leading scorer), I don't think I'd call it a "lack of success."

It looks like College Hoops Net predicted them to finish 5th in the Big 12 (that's where they are) and go to the NIT.
            Charlie, you obviously haven't visited the Aggie board...they're pretty much calling for his head but know they won't get it after just 1 season.

Comment

Re: This has to be asked (South Carolina).

Originally posted by mulligan
              Does Coach interview for any avalible job next weekend? It will be crucial for the Gamecocks, Tigers, and Hoosiers to hire a coach. I don't think South Carolina and LSU will be hiring someone who will go deep in the tourney so the interview process will begin quickly. Indiana is another story.
              Back to the original question. Regardless of whether they come calling for CGM, I can foresee USC and LSU (or other school with a current opening) trying to gain first-mover advantages in making a hire. Something could conceivably go down within the next 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
                Originally posted by CharlieHog

Charlie, you obviously haven't visited the Aggie board...they're pretty much calling for his head but know they won't get it after just 1 season.

The way regular fans view a season, and the people in charge of making hires view a season are usually 2 different things.

Comment

FWIW, Turgeon's resume when he took the job at Texas A&M is not much different than Bruce Pearl's Division 1 resume when he took the job at Tennessee. Pearl just had more experience in years at the Division 2 level, while Turgeon was serving as an assistant for some of the best coaches in college basketball. Sure, Pearl won a Division 2 championship at Southern Indiana, but he only made the Sweet 16 one time.

It should also be pointed out that Pearl pretty much inherited a really good winning program at UW-M from coach Bo Ryan while Turgeon inherited Randy Smithson's program.

Not really sure what this all means except you never know what you are getting when you hire a coach. Some people have it, some people don't. Some people get very, very lucky.

Comment

Huh?

So, mulligan, inasmuch as none of us has -- or will have -- a clue, exactly why did that have to be asked?

If you're that bored, try testing your Spell Check.

Comment

Just to toss some news out there, according to "sources" it appears USC has interest in Jeff Capel.

Comment

Could Eck be next.

Comment

I heard that Capel rumor as well. I don't really think he's done all that much, and that looks like a lateral move, at best, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
                            I heard that Capel rumor as well. I don't really think he's done all that much, and that looks like a lateral move, at best, doesn't it?
                            Yes, but it's a lateral move back home.

Capel built the VCU program that Anthony Grant is currently getting credit for.

Comment

Forget Eck. SC should be all over Don Kennedy. That's if they could pull him away from his current job....
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

South Carolina should hire Steve Eck

Comment

Working...
                                X