Missouri Valley Conference Post Season Honors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
    Totally wrong. Gregg won the league w/o the league MVP.
    But with the best TEAM. Why are so many posters focused on one player as if this is an individual sport?

Marshall had the better team and far higher expectations entering the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      WSU has established that it was the best team in the Valley during the regular season over an 18-game schedule.

Whoever wins the Valley Tournament will have established the are the better team this weekend.

What the NCAA's means remains to be seen. So much depends on matchups and upsets that might work in a team favor.

The one thing that is clear is that UNI and WSU are two very fine basketball teams that are capable of playing with anyone in the country. This must be true since that is basically quoting Seth Greenberg.
      As always, I find your insights on target and interesting, but this one made me chuckle because of the Greenberg reference!:)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
        But with the best TEAM. Why are so many posters focused on one player as if this is an individual sport?

Marshall had the better team and far higher expectations entering the season.
        I agree that the award is typically given in every conference to the coach that most exceeded expectations.

One reason that I have a little problem with it this year is that it feels like HCGM was held to a very high standard in the pre-season this year. This was a really hard year to predict. Most pundits and pre-season voters gave us a great deal of respect and said we would be an excellent team again because we returned the best backcourt in the country. Unfortunately, that was basically all we returned. It would have been just as reasonable to predict a lot of early stumbles and a step backward this year as a "rebuilding" year. But because HCGM is an incredible coach, people gave us the benefit of the doubt and now winning the conference is just what he was supposed to do and not a sign that he exceeded expectations. Whereas Jacobson is pre-season second in the valley achieves that and it's enough for coach of the year [hyperbole acknowledged: 16-2 and number 11 or whatever is definitely higher than the pre-season second in the valley would suggest].

That said, it's a sign that we are getting the respect we deserve. I would take all of the pre-season top 10 ranks, the benefit of the doubt when it comes to NCAA tournament seeding, and the fact that we don't lose our top 20 ranking if we lose on the road even if it means losing this award because of the higher expectations.

Comment

• WSU UNI
          RPI 11 15
          SOS 103 133
          Scoring Margin 13.4 10.6
          RPI vs Top 25 1-2 1-2
          RPI vs Top 50 2-2 2-2
          RPI vs Top 100 7-3 7-3*
          * Includes lost to #105 Evansville

I don't get why people on here are acting like we had such a better season than UNI. WSU and UNI basically had the same exact year. Essentially the only difference is we had our bad loss (GW #81) in the non-con and they had theirs (Evansville #105) in conference. You may argue that WSU's loss to GW isn't quite as bad as the Evansville loss, but you could also argue that their top 50 RPI victories are better than WSU's ( #36 Iowa and #11 WSU vs. #15 UNI and #47 Tulsa). WSU's two other losses are basically identical to UNI's 2 other losses (# 13 Utah and #15 UNI vs #11 WSU and #17 VCU). WSU and UNI are about as even as they come!

Comment

• I don't mind coy and poy. It makes our league look better and therefore the Shox look better. Outsiders see a Wichita state team that won the valley AGAINST the poy and coy. That's a damn good team!

Plus, I said it before, I love wearing black and I love being the villain. In the best regular season in uni history plus post season awards, we took away the valley title. Bwahahahahaha! ;)
            I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
            If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

• My apologies if posted elsewhere (I'm sure it probably has):

Ron Baker - All American (USA Today)

The junior guard from Scott City, Kan. was named Wednesday to USA Today's 2nd Team All-America list.

Congratulations Ron. What a story.

Congratulations also to UNI's Seth Tuttle in his 3rd Team All American honors.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 11, 2015, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• I'd forgot some of those lists will be coming out this week.

The AA Teams that make up the Consensus List are AP, Sporting News, USBWA, and NABC. Sporting News was announced yesterday sans Shockers. USBWA comes out on Monday. NABC and AP usually come out a little later on.

Congrats to Ron on making the USA Today one. Hopefully it is the first of several AA lists with Shockers on them this spring.

Comment

• Didn't know where to put this but Sports Illustrated All-American list out:
                  1st-Kaminsky, Okafor, Grant, Delon Wright, & D'Angelo Russell
                  2nd-Willie Cauley-Stein, Tuttle, Karl-Anthony Towns, Kyle Wiltjer, & Buddy Hield

Sorry,no link, my phone is acting up

Comment

• As Tuttle's accolades pour in, UNI fans griping over Ron's 2nd team in USA Today are looking a bit silly.
                    Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerMas View Post
                      Didn't know where to put this but Sports Illustrated All-American list out:
                      1st-Kaminsky, Okafor, Grant, Delon Wright, & D'Angelo Russell
                      2nd-Willie Cauley-Stein, Tuttle, Karl-Anthony Towns, Kyle Wiltjer, & Buddy Hield

Sorry,no link, my phone is acting up

Comment

• Seth Tuttle working out for the Lakers.

Baxter Holmes
                        Baxter Holmes – Verified account ‏@BaxterHolmes

"Lakers pre-draft workouts today: T.J. McConnell, Bryce Dejean-Jones, Kevin Pangos, Dez Wells, Seth Tuttle and Mairice Walker."

Comment

• NCAA Basketball: All-Decade teams for each conference (2009-2019) - FanSided Sports

by: Logan Butts
                          posted: 09/14/10

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/09/...nce-2009-2019/

"With the last NCAA Basketball decade having come to a close with Virginia’s thrilling win over Texas Tech, All-Decade lists have started to form. We wanted to take a look at each conference’s best players of the decade.

The formulation of All-Decade squads for the 2010s has been one of the most intriguing subjects for this NCAA Basketball offseason. And although several outlets have posted their overall All-Decade teams, I wanted to take a look at the best of the 2010s for each conference.

Before we dive in, let’s set some ground rules:
                          1. This list will primarily be based off of college resume. Not professional potential or success and not how good of a raw player they are, but by what they accomplished in college – the awards, titles, and memorable moments they provided in school.
                          2. The only seasons taken into account will be 2009-10 through 2018-19. Anything before or after will not factor in, even if a player’s career crossed over into two decades.
                          3. One-and-done’s will be considered, but they have to be true standouts (think Carmelo from the previous decade). Players with multiple years of experience had more time to rack up accolades and accumulate stats.
                          4. The players will be slotted in the conference that feels most appropriate on a case-to-case basis. This was a decade full of conference realignment, so trying to place them in the leagues they were in at the time is tricky.
                          Alright, on to the list....

Missouri Valley
                          Fred VanVleet (Wichita State), Seth Tuttle (Northern Iowa), Cleanthony Early (Wichita State), Ron Baker (Wichita State), Clayton Custer (Loyola-Chicago. It was the decade of the Shockers in the MVC (until they jumped to the AAC at least), but Northern Iowa was consistently strong and Loyola had a great run toward the end of the decade so it’s fitting that they each got a player on the squad...."

Comment

• Wooglin
                            Wooglin commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm impressed that you remembered a thread title from 41/2 years ago and knew where to post this!!

• lol Custer wouldn’t crack a Top 100 WSU team this decade.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Clayton Custer?? Lol!!!! Not gonna lie, I had to look him up.

Comment

• We heavily recruited Custer.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X