Best and worse calls of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best and worse calls of the year

Seen the over the back debated but clearly the worst and most obvious miss of the year. EU player grabs the ball (in control) and falls to the ground, sits a few seconds then makes a pass. Unless it has changed this should be a traveling call.

Best call of the year- the official who missed this call stops the clock with PJ dribbling out the clock. No infraction or violation, he just blew the whistle and allowed the subsitution for PJ, very classy. I had never seen this done before.

I thought last nights refs were the worst refs all year in the first half. Then the second half came and they started calling it for us. What a difference there have been some bad calls but I think the worst decision by a ref was to get into it with a fan last night. That's poor bad ref!!

Comment

Re: Best and worse calls of the year

Originally posted by boyshocker
      Seen the over the back debated but clearly the worst and most obvious miss of the year. EU player grabs the ball (in control) and falls to the ground, sits a few seconds then makes a pass. Unless it has changed this should be a traveling call.

Best call of the year- the official who missed this call stops the clock with PJ dribbling out the clock. No infraction or violation, he just blew the whistle and allowed the subsitution for PJ, very classy. I had never seen this done before.
      The ref who stopped the clock with PJ dribbling seemed to check for an ok from the Evansville coach. The coach kind of did a "whatever" hand raise and then the whistle blew.

It was nice.

On another note, the oldest (very grey) seems to delight in ticking off the Koch Arena crowd every time he is here (which seems like every game). Its almost like he intentionally makes a horrendous call or no call, then never seems to get correct in calling a fair and consistant game.

Did anyone else notice the other two refs kind of bickering back and forth. I wasnt close enough to hear, but it seemed as if the stylish one was questioning the other ref calling a foul in his area. They then kind of went back and forth all night.

Comment

Pretty boy was not happy to be here, think his ego has exploded. They was definitly some talk between them but couldn't make it out either.

Comment

Higgins may be the best official we ever see in Wichita. He's one of the best period.

I was a bit upset that in the first half there were I believe 6 block/charge calls and the first 5 went against us. A couple were obvious but a few of them were 50/50 plays. One was right after we'd gotten called for a block on one end and the very next trip we had down we were called for a charge.

I think Higgins stepped up and started calling a bit more to tighten up the play and the officiating of his partners.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Bad Calls

The block / charge calls can go either way, but we sure got the short end of the stick.

However, since when is a piggyback ride for at least two seconds not a foul? UNBELIEVABLE ! That is the worst call I have ever seen.

Comment

And who says Shocker fans complain about the officiating only when we lose??!!

John Higgins IS the best official to walk into CKA this season or any of the last few seasons.

Totally IMO, I think they, as a group, were a bit miffed at having to work the 9-10 game in the Valley (they certainly acted like it).

Those guys CAN oversee a game beautifully but the first 6-8 minutes of the game I think they announced their authority instead.

Higgins can do all of the WSU games and I'd be thrilled but he shouldn't be jawing with the crowd, that's just silly and arrogant.

They really called a beautiful game for 34 minutes minus 1 unexplainable call. I know refspeak but the call everyone was talking about was fixable if they didn't want to call a foul. He just let his ego get in the way for 1 call and delighted in pissing off 10k.

But like I said, for 34 minutes it doesn't get any better than last night.

Comment

higgins is arrogant, good officials at least try and bring their 'a' game. He was coasting the first half. From the Big 12 to MVC cellar.

Comment

Most of the big time officialss think they are arrogant hot shots.
                  Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Re: Best and worse calls of the year

Originally posted by boyshocker
                    I figured Marshall called a Substitution Timeout (or whatever they're called.) Which I saw Dana Altman do in Omaha last year for Creighton's Senior Night. I also remember someone doing it last year (maybe Turgeon) to get a walk-on into the game.

Comment

The official played the "there's something on the court card" and stopped play so we could sub PJ out.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Doc, I agree with you about Higgins, but I thought in the first half he missed a really obvious illegal screen call that flattened MB 3 feet in front of where he was standing. He did see the call he just didn't want to call it...

Comment

HCGM did signal for a "30 sec. " timeout to get PJ out of there, they just didn't report it to the book.

Comment

Ill go with the best..

Obviously the ref blowing the whistle just so PJ can get his ovation. One of the classiest things I have ever seen.

And the whole LSU game. That might have been the best officiatted game I have ever seen. They let the teams play. They didnt call a foul unless it was absolutely neccessary or obvious.

Comment

Was Higgins the brown haired official?

If so, I agree that he was pretty good the other night. Even some calls he made that were boo'd I thought were pretty fair.

If he's one of the gray haired dudes.... I'll agree to disagree.
                              The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Working...
                              X