Games moving to KEYN FM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by capnkirk View Post
    I thought AM stations could be picked up in remote areas when FM. channels struggle and would fade in and out?
    AM radio has huge range (also huge static) if the broadcasting station has the exclusive FCC rights to the area. The FCC allows a lot of local AM stations to have daytime coverage, but at sundown, local stations reduce their power and the few stations with nighttime rights take over.

The 1480 license, out of Wichita, lowers their power to less than covering all of Wichita at sundown. 1520, out of Oklahoma City, bumps their power at sundown because they had the regional rights to this area before the 1480 local license was granted. The same holds for 910, out of Wichita, and 890, out of Chicago.

Wichita has no AM licenses with nighttime rights to anything other than very localized broadcasting.

FM doesn't reach as far as AM, but with different FCC regulations, the signal is constant through their coverage and they are not competing with previously granted HUGE broadcastin areas, like AM. That means that the local FM stations have about a 90 mile range daytime and nighttime (depending on the antenna on your radio), while the local AM stations have a 10-mile to 30-mile range after sundown, depending on your direction from their tower.
    Last edited by Aargh; August 27, 2014, 09:58 PM.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      AM radio has huge range (also huge static) if the broadcasting station has the exclusive FCC rights to the area. The FCC allows a lot of local AM stations to have daytime coverage, but at sundown, local stations reduce their power and the few stations with nighttime rights take over.

The 1480 license, out of Wichita, lowers their power to less than covering all of Wichita at sundown. 1520, out of Oklahoma City, bumps their power at sundown because they had the regional rights to this area before the 1480 local license was granted. The same holds for 910, out of Wichita, and 890, out of Chicago.

Wichita has no AM licenses with nighttime rights to anything other than very localized broadcasting.

FM doesn't reach as far as AM, but with different FCC regulations, the signal is constant through their coverage and they are not competing with previously granted HUGE broadcastin areas, like AM. That means that the local FM stations have about a 90 mile range daytime and nighttime (depending on the antenna on your radio), while the local AM stations have a 10-mile to 30-mile range after sundown, depending on your direction from their tower.

Half right. Some AM stations power down, some do not. Clear channel stations (not the company, but the night blow torches) broadcast at full power. Their coverage increases at night because the sun doesn't degrade the signal. Other stations power down to give way to the clear channel station. Also, unlike FM, AM stations use multiple antennas and arrays to shape the signal. If you look at an FM coverage map, it will be a circle, while an AM coverage map looks hodgepodged.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
        Half right. Some AM stations power down, some do not. Clear channel stations (not the company, but the night blow torches) broadcast at full power. Their coverage increases at night because the sun doesn't degrade the signal. Other stations power down to give way to the clear channel station. Also, unlike FM, AM stations use multiple antennas and arrays to shape the signal. If you look at an FM coverage map, it will be a circle, while an AM coverage map looks hodgepodged.
        The "more than half right" explanation I had before I erased it was longer than most readers would tolerate. I cut it down to try to make the point before total reader boredom was encountered.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Great news! Now I just HOPE the "production" gets better as well. Mike and guest are great at what they do...but the sound quality was piss-poor. Sounded like a high school production and broadcasting out of a trash can for the most part. Lol I'm stoked for this move!!!
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            The "more than half right" explanation I had before I erased it was longer than most readers would tolerate. I cut it down to try to make the point before total reader boredom was encountered.
            Sorry. I used to work in radio. I sometimes start to geek out about it. That said, my explanations aren't totally accurate either. But talk to a station engineer and they will geek out for hours on how an AM signal is shaped to meet FCC coverage.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Sorry. I used to work in radio. I sometimes start to geek out about it. That said, my explanations aren't totally accurate either. But talk to a station engineer and they will geek out for hours on how an AM signal is shaped to meet FCC coverage.
              Watts going on with the frequency of these posts?
              ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                I don't know, but all of this talk of radio really Hertz my head

Comment

Sad about volleyball and women's basketball. I much preferred using a tune-in app on the phone that could pick up radio stations versus trying to play the internet feed through a browser.

Comment

In general, this is a good move for men's basketball. However, I agree that women's basketball and volleyball are really taking a backseat here. Are they really that crammed on both the AM and FM signal to where they have to get eliminated altogether? Isn't there gonna be a gap on the AM side now that basketball is moving off of there? Why can't the other sports be moved there? I dunno. Seems like an iffy move there.

We really need a statewide network though and I was hoping something would happen with this new media property move. People in Scott City or Dodge City should have just as much of an option for WSU basketball to listen to as they do Kitty Cat basketball.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

FM is line of sight and based on signal strength. AM uses the ground for much of its transmission. Depending on soil conditions, especially at night, a strong AM signal can travel a long, long way. Also, all other factors being equal, lower on the AM dial travels furthest.
                      propagation
                      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

This is a step backward and a misstep by my alma mater.

Edit: as it pertains to ladies basketball & volleyball.
                        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by capnkirk View Post
                          I thought AM stations could be picked up in remote areas when FM. channels struggle and would fade in and out?
                          Typically, but that assumes the AM transmitting equipment isn't vintage WWII surplus. So in this specific case, not so much.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerMas View Post
                            I don't know, but all of this talk of radio really Hertz my head
                            Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                            You guys are Hams.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

None of these will really affect me any. I very seldom listen to the men and women's games on the radio. I probably listen 95% of the time online, even when I'm in range of the radio signal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                Typically, but that assumes the AM transmitting equipment isn't vintage WWII surplus. So in this specific case, not so much.
                                Speaking of which, the real question is do Kennedy and the rest of the broadcast teams have access to non-archaic equipment that won't cut out every 3-27 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X