Embarrassed to be a Shocker Fan...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embarrassed to be a Shocker Fan...

...and it's not because of the piling losses, the coaching decisions, or the way our team has played lately. It's the FANS. What a bunch of whiney fair weather fans this lot is. Maybe the success of two years ago was a bad thing?? Now we are stuck with a bunch of front runner fans who are looking to jump ship at the first sign of trouble. Good riddance to you!!

I've been going to Shocker games since I moved to Wichita, over 20 years ago. After some success, we had a bad stretch (the nineties). I was more proud to be a fan during this time than I am today. The 6,000-8,000 fans from that era had class- even while our team sucked. Now we have a fan base that at home boo's every call (and I mean EVERY call), regardless of whether it was the correct one. We have fans that criticize every move the coach makes, some even hoping he leaves after one year. We also have fans that attack players unmercifully; hoping players quit, transfer, or or are asked to leave. Constructive criticism is ok, but a lot of you posters are out of control.

Did we really have expectations that we were going to win the Valley this year? This is year one (1) with our new coach. For the most part these our not his players. He is still trying to implement his system. If we still suck in 3-4 years, I'll be the guy leading the charge for change (I'll even bring the sign ;-) ). Until then, I say we give the guy a chance.

As for you front runners, don't let the door hit you on the a$$ on your way out.
    I ain't fallin fo no banana in tha tailpipe

Congrats, I didn't know you were the one to judge who the "true fans" are.

Also, I'd say by now, the all of the fair-weather fans and bandwagoners have been weeded out. Anyone who's left cheering for this team is a true fan.

Comment

I can agree with you about the fans booing every call, our fans here are ridiculous when it comes to the officiating. Unfortunately, that's 99.9% of the fans in all arenas, and what's funny is most of them don't have a clue about the rules of basketball, they just think they do. However, that being said, I do seem to notice shockernet goes on a major meltdown when our basketball or baseball team loses, and I admit I've been part of that meltdown numerous times. I didn't see the game last night because of work, but any team that gives up a 21 point lead in 9 1/2 minutes doesn't deserve to win. This team has heart, fight, and tons of potential, they just don't have a killer instinct. I however, will not be giving up on them

Comment

emcfizzle how many other college venues have you been to? They boo all calls too...
        Shox-4-Life

Comment

exactly my point kochhead, it doesn't just happen here. I just have to laugh and shake my head at the ignorance of some of the fans though, some fans are so unknowledgable it's funny. But I give em credit, they are supporting their team, even if it is in a negative way

Comment

Originally posted by KochHead22
            emcfizzle how many other college venues have you been to? They boo all calls too...
            I'd say 12-15. You obviously haven't been to too many, or else you'd know what I'm talking about. Maybe you just don't know the difference between a good call and a bad one. (and a bad call is not EVERY call that doesn't go the shockers way)
            I ain't fallin fo no banana in tha tailpipe

Comment

Hmm i'm very doubtful that you've been to that many venues because almost every college venue is like that... and i'm the front row for almost every game and i dont boo every call, just when it needs to be done
              Shox-4-Life

Comment

I can attest that while it does seem out of control sometimes, Koch compares equally to Bramlage, Allen, Gallagher-Iba, Hammons, McArthur, Noble, Hinkle, Erwin, and the Ferrell Center.

Comment

Hell, it compares to St. Louis with all those damn CU fans acting like they players are getting mugged everytime the ball is touched. What a bunch of cry babies.

Comment

Re: Embarrassed to be a Shocker Fan...

Originally posted by emcfizzle
                    ...and it's not because of the piling losses, the coaching decisions, or the way our team has played lately. It's the FANS. What a bunch of whiney fair weather fans this lot is. Maybe the success of two years ago was a bad thing?? Now we are stuck with a bunch of front runner fans who are looking to jump ship at the first sign of trouble. Good riddance to you!!

I've been going to Shocker games since I moved to Wichita, over 20 years ago. After some success, we had a bad stretch (the nineties). I was more proud to be a fan during this time than I am today. The 6,000-8,000 fans from that era had class- even while our team sucked. Now we have a fan base that at home boo's every call (and I mean EVERY call), regardless of whether it was the correct one. We have fans that criticize every move the coach makes, some even hoping he leaves after one year. We also have fans that attack players unmercifully; hoping players quit, transfer, or or are asked to leave. Constructive criticism is ok, but a lot of you posters are out of control.

Did we really have expectations that we were going to win the Valley this year? This is year one (1) with our new coach. For the most part these our not his players. He is still trying to implement his system. If we still suck in 3-4 years, I'll be the guy leading the charge for change (I'll even bring the sign ;-) ). Until then, I say we give the guy a chance.

As for you front runners, don't let the door hit you on the a$$ on your way out.
                    Bandwagon fans would be indifferent to the program at this point. They have no idea of the current state of affairs and may or may not check the paper to see the results of the last game.

Just because a fan is upset doesn't mean he isn't a fan anymore. Let me give you an example:

When you come home late after staying out with the guys too long and your wife yells at you, do you think she does that because she doesn't love you anymore? It's when you come home and she is in bed sleeping and oblivious to the time you return that you need to start worrying... Those type of fans do not post on here.

P.S.

There are also fans of the program (like me), fans of the players, fans of the "team", fans of the coaching staff, etc. etc. Those are enough variables to make it very difficult to categorize each poster's intentions and loyalties.

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                      When you come home late after staying out with the guys too long and your wife yells at you, do you think she does that because she doesn't love you anymore? It's when you come home and she is in bed sleeping and oblivious to the time you return that you need to start worrying... Those type of fans do not post on here.

...8)
                      You are not serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone

...8)
                        You are not serious.
                        The opposite of love is indifference. Marinate on the concept for a bit and you will understand.

T

...8)

Comment

I am not embarrassed to be a Shocker fan, and never will. Frustrated? You betcha.

This year's team seems to be an average to slightly below average team for about 35 minutes, then, for whatever reason, absolutely cannot seem to close out a game. I think most of that blame has to be shouldered by the players, with maybe 10% on the coaches. I've been a teacher long enough to know that you can do/say/practice all the right things, yet somehow when it comes to crunch time, its like they have never learned anything.

My expectation for next year - a lot of new faces, a struggle early on as everyone gets adjusted, and the sun starting to shine again in the second half of the season. My selfish hope is that this season clears out some bandwagon fans so I can improve my seating location.

As for this season, I would love nothing more than to win our play-in game and make either Drake or IlSU eat a big pile of poop by losing to us.
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

...8)
                            You are not serious.
                            The opposite of love is indifference. Marinate on the concept for a bit and you will understand.

T

...8)
                            Sometimes the desire for power and control, particularly in a marital relationship, can appear as caring.

But I digress.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock

...8)
                              You are not serious.

T

...8)
                              Sometimes the desire for power and control, particularly in a marital relationship, can appear as caring.

But I digress.
                              True. And hate can actually be hate but many times it is just disguised hurt because of a desire to obtain acceptance.

IMO you have two ends of the spectrum, pure selfless love and pure indifference. One you would give your life for, the other you wouldn't care if it was rubbed off the face of the earth forever.

Many Shocker fans will seem bitter and hateful yet they are simply hurting over a situation they are grappling with understanding. Everybody has their opinion but few have or will ever have the truth. Most of us can only sit idly by and hope...

T

...8)

Comment

Working...
                              X