Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapshot9
    replied
    Gal, the way he moves, he is pretty easy to 'telegraph' his moves, except maybe his pull up jumper on the way to the basket, one of his best moves.

Matt, he just whizs by you before you know it, he is in front, and he finishes layups better than anyone on the team.

Leave a comment:

• Awesome Sauce Malone
    replied
    Not all the time.

Unless you mean all the time under 2 minutes to go in games.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerFever
    replied
    Originally posted by SubGod22
    The way the play in question was described (I didn't see the game as I was working) it sounded like a case on a break where Gal fakes a pass or whatever like the ALWAYS does. He NEVER gives it up in that situation. At least how I picture the described play that was referrenced before my initial post. In which case I can't believe a scouting report hasn't been put together that tells the defender to just stay in front of Gal as he's not going to pass. And if he does it'll probably be so late he'll run over the defender anyway. But for some reason the D almost always seems to go for the fake even though Shocker fans everywhere know the ball isn't leaving Gals hands unless it's headed towards the basket.

That play has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with assists or assist ratios. Why you pulled that out of your rectum is beyond me.
    I agree totally with everything you said.

Why Valley teams don't have Gal and that play blanketed is beyond me. But of course it doesn't matter anyways, as Gal drives to the hole out-of-control regardless and gets called for charges all the time.

Leave a comment:

• newshock1234
    replied
    is it me or does phil bumble at least 2 or 3 passes a game, then on top of that he falls down at least 3 or 4 times a game.

Leave a comment:

• SpanglerFan316
    replied
    Originally posted by AndShock
    The way the play in question was described (I didn't see the game as I was working) it sounded like a case on a break where Gal fakes a pass or whatever like the ALWAYS does. He NEVER gives it up in that situation. At least how I picture the described play that was referrenced before my initial post. In which case I can't believe a scouting report hasn't been put together that tells the defender to just stay in front of Gal as he's not going to pass. And if he does it'll probably be so late he'll run over the defender anyway. But for some reason the D almost always seems to go for the fake even though Shocker fans everywhere know the ball isn't leaving Gals hands unless it's headed towards the basket.

That play has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with assists or assist ratios. Why you pulled that out of your rectum is beyond me.
    It seemed like Gal made the pass in that situation way more as a freshman (I remember at least a couple of those passes), I don't think he's passed it in that situation once this year.
    Maybe because Phil and others can't hold onto the pass? Gal would have a lot more assists if some of the other players had good hands. I know that some of Gal's passes are poor - too fast or too hard for the other player, too low for a "post" player, etc. - but PT and others sometimes find ways to drop really good passes from Gal.

Leave a comment:

• AndShock
    replied

It seemed like Gal made the pass in that situation way more as a freshman (I remember at least a couple of those passes), I don't think he's passed it in that situation once this year.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ShockerFever
    replied
    Originally posted by OTR Shockfan
    Matt fr yr 32 games 14.3 min fg 48.4% 43.4 % from 3 FT % 61.1
    Gal fr yr 31 games 13 min fg 44.3% 35.4 % from 3 FT % 64.7

Matt ast 1.5 TO 1.0 ppg 3.9
    Gal ast 1.7 TO 1.4 ppg 4

Matt So yr 35 games 24 min fg 37.6% 30.1 % from 3 FT % 70
    Gal So yr 27 games 32.6 min fg 36% 28.3 % from 3 FT % 87.3

Matt ast 2.7 TO 1.3 ppg 5.4
    Gal ast 3.9 TO 2.7 ppg 10

So can ANYONE GIVE ME a real reason the sentiment of the board all yr has been Gal Sucks , Gal turns it over , Gal wont pass it off Gal shouldn't shoot that shot ?? I'm just sayin I see it that way on the .net Lots of bashin of Individuals and not the reality of accepting that they are FAILING as a TEAM !!!!! NO ONE PLAYER SINGLE HANDEDLY GAVE UP A 21 Point lead
    Just as no one player , even if he scores 40 points in one game did it all by himself
    Just give it a rest already. Yes, the team as a whole is giving up games. There's some certain individual things though that Gal is doing/has done that isn't contributing to the team/and the help of it.

Don't make me start a poll asking people who they'd rather have for 4 years here..

Leave a comment:

• ABC
    replied
    Public criticism and public humiliation are not the same, though neither is good in my opinion. That is why your rarely see criticism from a collegue in the press.

I think Marshall's comments about not wanting Gal to get the ball may or may not fit in this category.

Leave a comment:

• OTR Shockfan
    replied
    Matt fr yr 32 games 14.3 min fg 48.4% 43.4 % from 3 FT % 61.1
    Gal fr yr 31 games 13 min fg 44.3% 35.4 % from 3 FT % 64.7

Matt ast 1.5 TO 1.0 ppg 3.9
    Gal ast 1.7 TO 1.4 ppg 4

Matt So yr 35 games 24 min fg 37.6% 30.1 % from 3 FT % 70
    Gal So yr 27 games 32.6 min fg 36% 28.3 % from 3 FT % 87.3

Matt ast 2.7 TO 1.3 ppg 5.4
    Gal ast 3.9 TO 2.7 ppg 10

So can ANYONE GIVE ME a real reason the sentiment of the board all yr has been Gal Sucks , Gal turns it over , Gal wont pass it off Gal shouldn't shoot that shot ?? I'm just sayin I see it that way on the .net Lots of bashin of Individuals and not the reality of accepting that they are FAILING as a TEAM !!!!! NO ONE PLAYER SINGLE HANDEDLY GAVE UP A 21 Point lead
    Just as no one player , even if he scores 40 points in one game did it all by himself

Leave a comment:

• calfan
    replied
    I think HCGM is tired and frustrated. i know a lot of fans are, and I'm in that group. There are things that we don't know about because of having closed practices.

I think a coaching staff should get a team ready to play. If they don't prepare them, that is the coaches fault. If they are out of shape, blame the coach. If during practice the coaches prepare them on how to attack a press and the players don't execute, that's not the coaches fault.

If in practice, the coaches tell the players late in the game to get the ball to Matt and they don't that is not the coaches fault. If there in a timeout and the coach tells the team to get the ball to Matt and they don't, that is not the coaches fault.

How would you feel if you spent time in practice on showing your players how to attack the press and when they get on the court they act like they have never seen it before??? How would you feel if during a timeout or practice you tell the players to get the ball to Matt and thirty seconds later they don't? Wouldn't you be a LITTLE frustrated like HCGM??? I know I would.

If the coach doesn't have these guys ready to play then blast him. If he does and they don't execute, It's not his fault.

Leave a comment:

• RoyalShock
    replied
    Originally posted by Smooth007
    It appears that one or two of our players are definately sensative to this.
    The public performance arena is not a good place for thin-skinned sensitivity. If some coaches want to cater to those personalities, fine. Some will, some won't. When it comes down to this level of subtlety, there isn't going to be a right or wrong way.

But you're right that there will always be differing points of view. Every discussion here will ultimately boil down to that.

Leave a comment:

• Smooth007
    replied
    Royal,
    "Good managers criticize when the criticism is warranted." - Agreed

"Bad managers criticize when or where it isn't necessary, take credit when none is due and deflect blame when they are the problem. Those managers lose good people." - Agreed

"Good people get things done and as such, criticism isn't necessary." All people make mistakes and deserve occassional criticism. Most criticism is better served privately than publically. It appears that one or two of our players are definately sensative to this.

"I have not heard Marshall unfairly criticize or deflect blame (hey, if it's the players, it's the players. That's not a deflection). I've heard him and the staff accept their portion of the criticism this season." - My opinion is on hold on this.

Just a different point of view my friend. :goshocks:

Leave a comment:

• OTR Shockfan
    replied
    Originally posted by BA2929
    Originally posted by OTR Shockfan
    could you explain how Gal's carreer asst is 2.7

and Matt's is 2.6 ????
    Are you really coming with an argument that boasts a 0.1 CAREER assist differential with a senior and a soph?

Maybe you don't realize this, but Matt has played twice as many games as Gal has in his career and has nearly twice as many career assists as Gal does. Comparing career averages with a Senior and a Sophomore isn't a good way of showing greatness.

Plus, that list wasn't even warranted for the post Sub made. I don't think he was comparing Gal to Matt anyway.
    Who said anything about greatness ??? I simply am stating that Gal and Matt are pretty much equal , ( I know that pains people here)
    But I spose I could go back and compare the #'s from just the first 2 trs of Matts carreer , But it might just show that the diffrence is even greater than now that Matt has had a jr and sr yr of development to improve apon his #'s

Leave a comment:

• RoyalShock
    replied
    Originally posted by Smooth007
    Managers who publicly criticize lose good people.
    Good people get things done and as such, criticism isn't necessary.

Good managers criticize when the criticism is warranted.

Bad managers criticize when or where it isn't necessary, take credit when none is due and deflect blame when they are the problem. Those managers lose good people.

I have not heard Marshall unfairly criticize or deflect blame (hey, if it's the players, it's the players. That's not a deflection). I've heard him and the staff accept their portion of the criticism this season.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X