No announcement yet.

Marshall: Don't give Gal the ball !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I probably would have yelled "DON'T PASS IS TO P.J., PHIL, J.T., CLEMENTE!" ...or whoever else was on the court besides Matt. I mean, come on, everyone was turning the ball over like it was a hot potato and the best guy we have with the ball is Matt...

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock
      The "Don't give Mekel the Ball" statement does not make any logical sense. And perhaps logical is the key word in this situation. If Marshall didn't want any player to touch the ball (which certainly limits any offense) then why was that player even in the game?

Afterall, many of you defend the coach by saying he isn't missing the shots and that's true. But there is one thing he certainly is in charge of and that is who touches the ball. Last time I looked it was the coach who determined who the five guys on the court were. If a player isn't on the floor, he can't very well touch it.
      Let's see...at that point weren't 2 guys DQ'd already? So that takes the available players down to 8. Then you have to figure that the big guys can't handle the ball. So that leaves only MB, WP, GM, and LH to handle the ball. I sure don't want WP out there, who couldn't score if he was shooting it into the ocean. So that leaves 3 and I don't know who was out there, but I'm pretty sure I would have said the same thing coach did. You have to play 5 guys if you have 5 eligible, so coach really didn't have too much of a choice of who to have on the court.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
        The thing about that play is 10 times out of 10 Gal is gonna fake the pass and try to score himself. How the D doesn't take more charges in those situations I'll never know.
        So,,,,,, could you explain how Gal's carreer asst is 2.7

and Matt's is 2.6 ???? does that mean that Matt does a worse job at distributing the ball than Gal ?

Gal 6.8 points per game Carreer
        Matt 6.2 PPG carreer

turn overs this season 2.4 per game for Matt
        2.7 for Gal

Carreer 1.4 Matt
        2.0 Gal

This season Averages Gal 10 ppg 3.9 ast 3.3 reb
        Matt 12.2 ppg 3.3 ast 3.8 reb

Seems to me your talkin out your Arse , But then again It COULD BE
        your Frustrated too.

FINALE ANSWER is it's a team game and everybody either deserves CREDIT for the win or BLAME for the loss (including the Coaching staff)

we're in the end of a bad , Ugly year and it stings, Guess what the sun will still come up tomarow ,, Get over it

But I spose there will always be those who feel the need to Bash one or two players that they for what ever reason dont like ,
        From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

Originally posted by OTR Shockfan
          The thing about that play is 10 times out of 10 Gal is gonna fake the pass and try to score himself. How the D doesn't take more charges in those situations I'll never know.
          So,,,,,, could you explain how Gal's carreer asst is 2.7

and Matt's is 2.6 ???? does that mean that Matt does a worse job at distributing the ball than Gal ?

Gal 6.8 points per game Carreer
          Matt 6.2 PPG carreer

turn overs this season 2.4 per game for Matt
          2.7 for Gal

Carreer 1.4 Matt
          2.0 Gal

This season Averages Gal 10 ppg 3.9 ast 3.3 reb
          Matt 12.2 ppg 3.3 ast 3.8 reb

Seems to me your talkin out your Arse , But then again It COULD BE
          your Frustrated too.

FINALE ANSWER is it's a team game and everybody either deserves CREDIT for the win or BLAME for the loss (including the Coaching staff)

we're in the end of a bad , Ugly year and it stings, Guess what the sun will still come up tomarow ,, Get over it

But I spose there will always be those who feel the need to Bash one or two players that they for what ever reason dont like ,
          Wow read much. Sub said thats a normal play for Gal he does it all the time. He doesnt understand why the other teams keeps falling for it everytime. Sounds like Praise to me. But FTH do I know I attended Wichita/Haysville Public Schools. Reading wasnt a luxury that could be afforded to us poor folks.

Comment

could you explain how Gal's carreer asst is 2.7

and Matt's is 2.6 ????
            Are you really coming with an argument that boasts a 0.1 CAREER assist differential with a senior and a soph?

Maybe you don't realize this, but Matt has played twice as many games as Gal has in his career and has nearly twice as many career assists as Gal does. Comparing career averages with a Senior and a Sophomore isn't a good way of showing greatness.

Plus, that list wasn't even warranted for the post Sub made. I don't think he was comparing Gal to Matt anyway.
            "You can observe a lot just by watching."
            -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker
              This is athletics. It's not child rearing. It's not supposed to be easy. It's not all fun and games, smiley face, feel-good moments. If it was cake, ballons and party animals all the time EVERYBODY would do it. Sports are tough physically and mentally, that's why we're on a message board and they're playing the game.

Seriously, though, most of these guys are "men." They eat like men, they compete like men, and they should take responsibility and criticism like men. Oh, and if this is someone's most embarrasing moment, well, they got off easy - far, far too easy. I think most (myself included) have far (and away) more humiliating moments.
              What fun would you be referring to? Let's take Gal for example, half way accross the world from your family, practices like hell, losing the majority of the games, being called out publically by your leader and having fans constantly question your abilities during the actual game. Sounds great....

While Gal most certainly is man enough the handle it some of the others may not be. Managers who publicly criticize lose good people.
              Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

[quote="Awesome Sauce Malone"]

Wow read much. Sub said thats a normal play for Gal he does it all the time. He doesnt understand why the other teams keeps falling for it everytime. Sounds like Praise to me. But FTH do I know I attended Wichita/Haysville Public Schools. Reading wasnt a luxury that could be afforded to us poor folks.
                Well since that comment followed
                This year's theme is blame gal gal does this gal does that.
                Of yours, the context sure seemed to be
                Gal is to blame ,, gal doen't pass the ball off , he hogs it to shoot, and should be called for the charge .

But what do I know I just got me an Pubimilic edumuckation ya Know , an
                ant red nuthin fer to long

Comment

[quote="OTR Shockfan"]
                  Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone

Well since that comment followed
                  Of yours, the context sure seemed to be
                  Gal is to blame ,, gal doen't pass the ball off , he hogs it to shoot, and should be called for the charge .

But what do I know I just got me an Pubimilic edumuckation ya Know , an
                  ant red nuthin fer to long
                  Again learn to read. I made more posts on the topic then just that one. and the post of mine that you qouted was actually a response to somebody.

As a matter of fact let me help you since I know you wont go back through and read anything.

DSB thats kind of what I was saying. If he makes that layup everybody is ready to slob him down. But since he missed it was the worst ever.

Blaming last nights loss on Gal is like picking on kids with down syndrome.
                  Originally posted by WstateU
                  DSB thats kind of what I was saying. If he makes that layup everybody is ready to slob him down. But since he missed it was the worst ever.

Blaming last nights loss on Gal is like picking on kids with down syndrome.
                  I've read every post and don't see anyone specifically blaming Gal for the loss... they're just criticizing his boneheaded decisions during crucial situations.
                  Da da da da *rasberry&

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth007
                    Managers who publicly criticize lose good people.
                    Good people get things done and as such, criticism isn't necessary.

Good managers criticize when the criticism is warranted.

Bad managers criticize when or where it isn't necessary, take credit when none is due and deflect blame when they are the problem. Those managers lose good people.

I have not heard Marshall unfairly criticize or deflect blame (hey, if it's the players, it's the players. That's not a deflection). I've heard him and the staff accept their portion of the criticism this season.

Comment

Originally posted by BA2929
                      could you explain how Gal's carreer asst is 2.7

and Matt's is 2.6 ????
                      Are you really coming with an argument that boasts a 0.1 CAREER assist differential with a senior and a soph?

Maybe you don't realize this, but Matt has played twice as many games as Gal has in his career and has nearly twice as many career assists as Gal does. Comparing career averages with a Senior and a Sophomore isn't a good way of showing greatness.

Plus, that list wasn't even warranted for the post Sub made. I don't think he was comparing Gal to Matt anyway.
                      Who said anything about greatness ??? I simply am stating that Gal and Matt are pretty much equal , ( I know that pains people here)
                      But I spose I could go back and compare the #'s from just the first 2 trs of Matts carreer , But it might just show that the diffrence is even greater than now that Matt has had a jr and sr yr of development to improve apon his #'s

Comment

Royal,
                        "Good managers criticize when the criticism is warranted." - Agreed

"Bad managers criticize when or where it isn't necessary, take credit when none is due and deflect blame when they are the problem. Those managers lose good people." - Agreed

"Good people get things done and as such, criticism isn't necessary." All people make mistakes and deserve occassional criticism. Most criticism is better served privately than publically. It appears that one or two of our players are definately sensative to this.

"I have not heard Marshall unfairly criticize or deflect blame (hey, if it's the players, it's the players. That's not a deflection). I've heard him and the staff accept their portion of the criticism this season." - My opinion is on hold on this.

Just a different point of view my friend. :goshocks:
                        Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth007
                          It appears that one or two of our players are definately sensative to this.
                          The public performance arena is not a good place for thin-skinned sensitivity. If some coaches want to cater to those personalities, fine. Some will, some won't. When it comes down to this level of subtlety, there isn't going to be a right or wrong way.

But you're right that there will always be differing points of view. Every discussion here will ultimately boil down to that.

Comment

I think HCGM is tired and frustrated. i know a lot of fans are, and I'm in that group. There are things that we don't know about because of having closed practices.

I think a coaching staff should get a team ready to play. If they don't prepare them, that is the coaches fault. If they are out of shape, blame the coach. If during practice the coaches prepare them on how to attack a press and the players don't execute, that's not the coaches fault.

If in practice, the coaches tell the players late in the game to get the ball to Matt and they don't that is not the coaches fault. If there in a timeout and the coach tells the team to get the ball to Matt and they don't, that is not the coaches fault.

How would you feel if you spent time in practice on showing your players how to attack the press and when they get on the court they act like they have never seen it before??? How would you feel if during a timeout or practice you tell the players to get the ball to Matt and thirty seconds later they don't? Wouldn't you be a LITTLE frustrated like HCGM??? I know I would.

If the coach doesn't have these guys ready to play then blast him. If he does and they don't execute, It's not his fault.

Comment

Matt fr yr 32 games 14.3 min fg 48.4% 43.4 % from 3 FT % 61.1
                              Gal fr yr 31 games 13 min fg 44.3% 35.4 % from 3 FT % 64.7

Matt ast 1.5 TO 1.0 ppg 3.9
                              Gal ast 1.7 TO 1.4 ppg 4

Matt So yr 35 games 24 min fg 37.6% 30.1 % from 3 FT % 70
                              Gal So yr 27 games 32.6 min fg 36% 28.3 % from 3 FT % 87.3

Matt ast 2.7 TO 1.3 ppg 5.4
                              Gal ast 3.9 TO 2.7 ppg 10

So can ANYONE GIVE ME a real reason the sentiment of the board all yr has been Gal Sucks , Gal turns it over , Gal wont pass it off Gal shouldn't shoot that shot ?? I'm just sayin I see it that way on the .net Lots of bashin of Individuals and not the reality of accepting that they are FAILING as a TEAM !!!!! NO ONE PLAYER SINGLE HANDEDLY GAVE UP A 21 Point lead
                              Just as no one player , even if he scores 40 points in one game did it all by himself

Comment

Public criticism and public humiliation are not the same, though neither is good in my opinion. That is why your rarely see criticism from a collegue in the press.

I think Marshall's comments about not wanting Gal to get the ball may or may not fit in this category.

Comment

Working...
                                X