Marshall: Don't give Gal the ball !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall: Don't give Gal the ball !!!

I don't know if I've ever seen anything like this actually reported.

Think about it . . . don't give your SG the ball.

Marshall wants the ball in the hands of point guard Matt Braeuer as much as a possible.

He left no doubt about that in the final two minutes Tuesday. Marshall watched sophomore Gal Mekel dribble down the shot clock before leaving J.T. Durley with a desperation shot that resulted in a turnover.

Marshall screamed at Braeuer, "Don't give him (Mekel) the ball."

He actually yelled it and it wasn't hard to hear. All GM did was say what the rest were thinking. Gal acted like he had never ran a break before. He looked like a HS kid coming down the floor during his first big game. 8)
    Above all, make the right call.

Comment

You can probably count on 2 hands the number of times that Gal tried to do too much in the last 2 minutes and cost us dearly. So frustrating

Comment

I understand that Gal has made a lot of mistakes in critical times this year. I also understand he was our debatable MVP while Matt was injured. However, I do not understand embarrasing his players in this manor. Many of our players potential, athleticism and basketball abilities are capped or have reached their peak. This type of behavior, if consistently done, makes for a poor manager of human resources.
        Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

Smooth, I think you're way off here. Wasn't this yelled to Durley in the heat of the game after several Mekel TOs? Seems to me that is coaching.

Also, I'm guess there were about 10,000 viewers thinking, saying, or screaming the same thing at the TV.
          Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth007
            I understand that Gal has made a lot of mistakes in critical times this year. I also understand he was our debatable MVP while Matt was injured. However, I do not understand embarrasing his players in this manor. Many of our players potential, athleticism and basketball abilities are capped or have reached their peak. This type of behavior, if consistently done, makes for a poor manager of human resources.
            I think we need to focus on the quote, ]"Marshall wants the ball in the hands of point guard Matt Braeuer as much as a possible." [/color]
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

He wasn't trying to embarrass his player, even if that was the result; he was trying to win the game.

Comment

Matt obviously gave a great effort. However, he also had a few boneheaded plays during crucial times. Every player should take some responsibility for last night’s debacle. I usually let a loss go the next day… this one’s stuck in my craw.
                :-x

Comment

I think it is great that HCGM wants MB to have the ball late in the game because doing so gives us the best chance to win. MB wants the ball and winners want the ball. Unfortunately, PJ sometimes appears to not want the ball. However, I am not just focusing on the heat of the moment yelling by our coach. Several of our players have confidence issues beyond just losing ball games. Did anyone else see how Aaron Ellis reacted after he was yelled at during the game?

My point really is this... Gal is doing his best. If it is best for our team to not have our SG have the ball late in games then maybe he shouldn't be playing. If this is coaching strategy to have MB try to take over the game maybe those comments would be better served with a one-on-one coverstation with MB prior to crucial game plays. I don't think it is good management to humiliate (maybe too strong of wording) a player doing his best even if he was trying to win the game (just consider how you would feel if your boss, teacher, or parent routinely did this).

Comment

This is athletics. It's not child rearing. It's not supposed to be easy. It's not all fun and games, smiley face, feel-good moments. If it was cake, ballons and party animals all the time EVERYBODY would do it. Sports are tough physically and mentally, that's why we're on a message board and they're playing the game.

Seriously, though, most of these guys are "men." They eat like men, they compete like men, and they should take responsibility and criticism like men. Oh, and if this is someone's most embarrasing moment, well, they got off easy - far, far too easy. I think most (myself included) have far (and away) more humiliating moments.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker
                      This is athletics. It's not child rearing. It's not supposed to be easy. It's not all fun and games, smiley face, feel-good moments. If it was cake, ballons and party animals all the time EVERYBODY would do it. Sports are tough physically and mentally, that's why we're on a message board and they're playing the game.

Seriously, though, most of these guys are "men." They eat like men, they compete like men, and they should take responsibility and criticism like men. Oh, and if this is someone's most embarrasing moment, well, they got off easy - far, far too easy. I think most (myself included) have far (and away) more humiliating moments.
                      Some people nuture the hand that feeds them, others choose a different route. I guess we know where you stand. Some of our young men (19 year olds) are not taking it too well.

Comment

Everything is just plain ugly right now. The players have an issue somewhere. The coaching staff has issues with things. This just isn't pretty. It's honestly too bad that the bottom 2 teams aren't left out in St. Louis. That way the season could end a week sooner and we wouldn't have to go through another one of these types of games.

Comment

If under no circumstances did the coach want Mekel touching the ball, why even leave him on the court in the first place?

Also, I'd love to have Clemente on the Jays right now. We could use a rebounder like that.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker

Some people nuture the hand that feeds them, others choose a different route. I guess we know where you stand. Some of our young men (19 year olds) are not taking it too well.
                            Well, then we need to find a group that does. I say it's time for HCGM to publically throw this team and certain players under the bus. For those who have listened, coach has publically taken the blame in the past and he's tip-toed around blasting individual players... probably because of a lack of warm bodies. Last night was the low point in coach Marshall's coaching career. I'm willing to bet that it won't happen again while he's here.

I've been a loyal and avid supporter of this program for 35+ years and I'm ashamed of the display that I witnessed last night... the players are 100% to blame.

:-x

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum
                              If under no circumstances did the coach want Mekel touching the ball, why even leave him on the court in the first place?

Also, I'd love to have Clemente on the Jays right now. We could use a rebounder like that.
                              Questioning the coach on this forum is risky. You could be subject to personal attacks or even warnings from the resident administrator...

It is best to phrase your question like this: Why didn't Gal, in his infinite stupidity and talentlessness...?

T

...8)

Comment

Working...
                              X