X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome Sauce Malone
    replied
    Originally posted by SFL
    he also tried one of his patented jack-ass plays during Indiana States 21-0 run... he could have passed the ball to a wide-open teammate for a dunk, but instead he tried a fake-pass-dipsy-doo around a defender near the basket and short armed a lay-up
    If he makes that layup though everybody crowns his arse.

Leave a comment:

• Awesome Sauce Malone
    replied
    im kind of responding to DJA as well as making a general statement as well.

Ramon has been everything we missed last year. Unfortunately we needed more than what we are getting from him this year.

What I mean is,
    Ramon is that consistent post presence as far as being in the paint and rebounding. His scoring and offensive abilities at time leaves one to desire, but man what we could have done with him last year.

Due to injuries and other of the sort we need him to fill a more offensive role with this team. Our shooting as a team has been horrid all year, with the exception of the last few games. So Ramo hasnt needed to be that much of a threat on the O side of things.

But with all that said Im glad he has came here. And with his defense, rebounding and overall pedal to the medal attitude im more than fine with his lack of scoring ability and as well as the promise that that ability has shown itself and forthcoming

Leave a comment:

• SFL
    replied
    Originally posted by engrshock
    Originally posted by RoyalShock
    Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum
    If under no circumstances did the coach want Mekel touching the ball, why even leave him on the court in the first place?

Also, I'd love to have Clemente on the Jays right now. We could use a rebounder like that.
    Mekel is one of three Shockers who can put the ball in the hole with any degree of consistency beyond 15 feet.

So he should be an option to shoot, but not distribute.
    Gal is also one of the few who can usually make a free throw and can handle the ball. He normally would be someone you would want with the ball and a lead at the end of a game. Unfortunately when he ( or any of the players that I have seen) is highly pressured (many would say fouled) he tends to dribble far too much and too long. As Dave Stallworth pointed out this morning on SportsDaily there is too much dribbling, that and passing the ball keeps the defense behind while dribbling lets it catch up.
    Gal is the queen of dribble... he also tried one of his patented jack-ass plays during Indiana States 21-0 run... he could have passed the ball to a wide-open teammate for a dunk, but instead he tried a fake-pass-dipsy-doo around a defender near the basket and short armed a lay-up (Marshall went ballistic on the sideline). He did make up for the boneheaded play by drawing a charge on the other end… probably was a block.
    Anyway, we didn’t score again until the game was tied. PJ also missed a critical break-away dunk when we had around a 15 point lead (I assume it was a dunk… the channel 22 cameramen was taking a break from the action). I honestly believe that those 2 missed opportunities completely changed the momentum of the game and sucked the life out of our team.

Leave a comment:

• engrshock
    replied
    If under no circumstances did the coach want Mekel touching the ball, why even leave him on the court in the first place?

Also, I'd love to have Clemente on the Jays right now. We could use a rebounder like that.
    Mekel is one of three Shockers who can put the ball in the hole with any degree of consistency beyond 15 feet.

Gal is also one of the few who can usually make a free throw and can handle the ball. He normally would be someone you would want with the ball and a lead at the end of a game. Unfortunately when he ( or any of the players that I have seen) is highly pressured (many would say fouled) he tends to dribble far too much and too long. As Dave Stallworth pointed out this morning on SportsDaily there is too much dribbling, that and passing the ball keeps the defense behind while dribbling lets it catch up.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleJayAlum
    replied

Fair enough, but how is he supposed to shoot if he isn't allowed to touch the ball ?

Leave a comment:

• RoyalShock
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Downtown Shocker Brown
    replied
    Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded

Questioning the coach on this forum is risky. You could be subject to personal attacks or even warnings from the resident administrator...

It is best to phrase your question like this: Why didn't Gal, in his infinite stupidity and talentlessness...?

T

...8)
    Who would you guys have rather seen in there in Gal's place? Preadom? He shoots under 38% from the line. Matt shoots 53%. PJ 60%. Lance is 1 of 1, but didn't play very confidently last night.

The simple fact is, one person stepped up last night and that was Ramon. He would have taken the ball. He wanted the ball, and worked to get open. PJ was hiding. Matt is just not physical enough to handle what the ref's were allowing, Phil and JT don't know how to not foul, or step up at the line. Gal makes Sophomoronic mistakes with the ball, but he wasn't the only one to make them last night. Our SENIOR scholarship players all had as many or more turnovers than Gal did last night. That includes PJ, Matt, and Phil.

Phil fouled out in 19 mins, without a single rebound. Gal was 1-10 from the floor. Why? Did anyone watch the game. He and Matt had no choice but to chuck it up. ISU was tight inside and not allowing anything in. PJ wasn't working to get open, he was just bouncing around. Ramon had position several times, but they couldn't get him the ball. Gal has been cold from the floor, but PJ has had several of those games this year as well.

Leave a comment:

• BA2929
    replied
    Gal just doesn't know how to manage the clock in the final 2 minutes. He's like the Herm Edwards of college basketball.

Leave a comment:

• C0|dB|00ded
    replied

Questioning the coach on this forum is risky. You could be subject to personal attacks or even warnings from the resident administrator...

It is best to phrase your question like this: Why didn't Gal, in his infinite stupidity and talentlessness...?

T

...8)

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    replied
    Originally posted by Smooth007
    Originally posted by JVShocker
    This is athletics. It's not child rearing. It's not supposed to be easy. It's not all fun and games, smiley face, feel-good moments. If it was cake, ballons and party animals all the time EVERYBODY would do it. Sports are tough physically and mentally, that's why we're on a message board and they're playing the game.

Seriously, though, most of these guys are "men." They eat like men, they compete like men, and they should take responsibility and criticism like men. Oh, and if this is someone's most embarrasing moment, well, they got off easy - far, far too easy. I think most (myself included) have far (and away) more humiliating moments.
    Some people nuture the hand that feeds them, others choose a different route. I guess we know where you stand. Some of our young men (19 year olds) are not taking it too well.
    Well, then we need to find a group that does. I say it's time for HCGM to publically throw this team and certain players under the bus. For those who have listened, coach has publically taken the blame in the past and he's tip-toed around blasting individual players... probably because of a lack of warm bodies. Last night was the low point in coach Marshall's coaching career. I'm willing to bet that it won't happen again while he's here.

I've been a loyal and avid supporter of this program for 35+ years and I'm ashamed of the display that I witnessed last night... the players are 100% to blame.

:-x

Leave a comment:

• DoubleJayAlum
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rrshock
    replied
    Everything is just plain ugly right now. The players have an issue somewhere. The coaching staff has issues with things. This just isn't pretty. It's honestly too bad that the bottom 2 teams aren't left out in St. Louis. That way the season could end a week sooner and we wouldn't have to go through another one of these types of games.

Leave a comment:

• Smooth007
    replied
    Originally posted by JVShocker
    This is athletics. It's not child rearing. It's not supposed to be easy. It's not all fun and games, smiley face, feel-good moments. If it was cake, ballons and party animals all the time EVERYBODY would do it. Sports are tough physically and mentally, that's why we're on a message board and they're playing the game.

Seriously, though, most of these guys are "men." They eat like men, they compete like men, and they should take responsibility and criticism like men. Oh, and if this is someone's most embarrasing moment, well, they got off easy - far, far too easy. I think most (myself included) have far (and away) more humiliating moments.
    Some people nuture the hand that feeds them, others choose a different route. I guess we know where you stand. Some of our young men (19 year olds) are not taking it too well.

Leave a comment:

• JVShocker_old
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Smooth007
    replied
    I think it is great that HCGM wants MB to have the ball late in the game because doing so gives us the best chance to win. MB wants the ball and winners want the ball. Unfortunately, PJ sometimes appears to not want the ball. However, I am not just focusing on the heat of the moment yelling by our coach. Several of our players have confidence issues beyond just losing ball games. Did anyone else see how Aaron Ellis reacted after he was yelled at during the game?

My point really is this... Gal is doing his best. If it is best for our team to not have our SG have the ball late in games then maybe he shouldn't be playing. If this is coaching strategy to have MB try to take over the game maybe those comments would be better served with a one-on-one coverstation with MB prior to crucial game plays. I don't think it is good management to humiliate (maybe too strong of wording) a player doing his best even if he was trying to win the game (just consider how you would feel if your boss, teacher, or parent routinely did this).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X