Marshall spoke at our convention on Wednesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall spoke at our convention on Wednesday

Coach Marshall was the opening speaker at our state association's convention this week, and as we all would expect, he did a great job. I thought I'd share a couple nuggets I hadn't heard, although some on here might have already. He spoke a little of how he came to Wichita and how the initial call was from Elgin, then a call from Schaus asking "what would it take to get you to Wichita?" Talked about how they only had 6 players at his initial evaluation after taking the job, and he had to recruit to fill the team late in the recruiting period, which led to the initial struggles.

He talked about what he looks for in recruits and the "winning" nature, a strong desire to compete and win. He said this year's team leaders were Ron & Fred, and the seniors basically stepped back and allowed them to be the leaders, just because it was their nature. He talked about the early challenges and stress, then with the recent success the new challenges-people criticizing the program and players for winning, and how any job that comes open his name is tied to. He specifically stated that as a stress, and definitely in a negative way, I don't think he likes that at all for his name to keep getting brought up. He said his wife loves it here, his family loves it here and it would take a very special situation for him to want to leave. I read that as not just money but an entire "situation" that would have to be pretty special.

Coach did a great job kicking off the conference and we had a lot of WSU love in the room. :)

Forgot one other thing-he mentioned during that first year when they were losing, when walking off the court there were always fans still standing & cheering the players. He appreciated that they recognized the team was playing hard and giving it their all. That has stuck with him all this time, that the fans will support this team no matter what. I thought it was ironic that a little thing like that could end up helping keep him in Wichita years later!

Comment

This is one of life's lessons. If the gentle reader doesn't understand the lesson then I would not be able to explain it to you.

Comment

Working...
      X