i almost hate to bring this up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i almost hate to bring this up...

...but a couple of years ago, i was able to 'break the story' on here(whoa...big me!!!! :D ) about wendell coming here because my brother teaches and coaches at his school, and he told me it was happening.my brother raved about his character and his intellect and what a good kid he is, while being cautious that he was not the best player on his hs team...a serviceable player.i must admit, i feel bad that i have not made more of an effort to make him feel a connection here...i have met him once, his first year, and he was most pleasant.

point is...for me, it becomes harder to say a kid needs to be gone when you feel some kind of connection, and while i know it is about wins and losses, it also is about family.

btw...do you remember that wendell STARTED the very first game here...in an exhibition?if not the first exi, it was the second...

done rantin'...

I always thought that would become some crazy trivia question that he started his first game as a freshman.
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

I know how you feel Molly.
      I'm kinda glad Bret Michael is a walk-on instead of a scholarship player. It saves me a lot of face on here. Life is so much easier without an attachment to the players...
      Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
      Students > Alumni
      If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
      The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Any time you are close to the issue at hand you will have a different perspective. That is why some are so sensitive to personal issues surrounding the program and some aren't. Some on here have players over for dinner for crying out loud. Those "insiders" will certainly have other qualities they look for in a program or a person than a typical fan whose main concern is W/L improvement. I think it is best to personally step away from the issue when discussing what is "best" for the program.

Whether or not "Player A" picks pockets off the court as well as on the court means very little to the typical fan who wants to "live through" the on-court success of the team he/she loves.

Would I want Bill Walker over at my house for dinner? "Hell'z no", but I certainly would want him on the court winning games for my team...

T

...8)

Comment

Some on here have players over for dinner for crying out loud.
          I thought that buying or having a player over for dinner without providing that to all members on the team was a violation of NCAA rules?

I hope I am wrong.
          Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

Cold, I may be way off, but I think the "typical" fan does indeed care whether our players are picking pockets off the court. I know you don't. But I think you're in the minority in that way of thinking.
            Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Oh, oh! Another thread on Wendell.

Poor kid seems to have become the lightning rod for our struggles this season.

Man, we could sure use a couple of well played games and wins to perk us all up a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker

Man, could we sure use a couple of well played games and wins to perk us all up a little bit.
                It's a lot more fun to win...
                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                -John Wooden

Comment

Man, we could sure use a couple of well played games and wins to perk us all up a little bit.
                  We're in desperate need of a humorous off-topic thread. :yahoo:
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
                    Cold, I may be way off, but I think the "typical" fan does indeed care whether our players are picking pockets off the court. I know you don't. But I think you're in the minority in that way of thinking.
                    You're way off, except on a message board where most don't have the balls to lay down their moralistic cape of justice and just be themselves. Do a little research of some of the largest, most successful athletic institutions and you will see countless articles about off-court infractions. Nobody likes people who break the law but it seems to be a way of life amongst the highest level of athlete. KU has their stabbers and KSU has their rapists and drunk drivers.. hell KSU even had a drunk driving coach.

Yes, I'm sure there are those that do hang their hat on their alma mater's athletic department arrest record, but the majority do so only because it is their only source of pride. Those that espouse the greatness of having a team that is graduating and "staying out of trouble" would trade said team for a Final Four contender (and a few malcontents) in a heart beat.

Thanks and goodnight!

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                      Originally posted by wsu789
                      You're way off, except on a message board where most don't have the balls to lay down their moralistic cape of justice and just be themselves. Do a little research of some of the largest, most successful athletic institutions and you will see countless articles about off-court infractions. Nobody likes people who break the law but it seems to be a way of life amongst the highest level of athlete. KU has their stabbers and KSU has their rapists and drunk drivers.. hell KSU even had a drunk driving coach.

Yes, I'm sure there are those that do hang their hat on their alma mater's athletic department arrest record, but the majority do so only because it is their only source of pride. Those that espouse the greatness of having a team that is graduating and "staying out of trouble" would trade said team for a Final Four contender (and a few malcontents) in a heart beat.

Thanks and goodnight!

T

...8)
                      Sleep tight Cold... and stay away from sharp objects.
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

hmmmm... I wonder why the Indiana fans can't wait for Friday to get here so they can see their coach (of the 14th ranked team and potential final four contender) fired in mid-season. I think it means something to those people...

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU

We're in desperate need of a humorous off-topic thread. :yahoo:
                          well we had the weekly "referree" thread, but it got deleted.

Comment

Not only that, he's already becoming a lightning rod for next season.

Comment

well, i called my brother to wish him happy birthday, and in the course of the conversation, he says, 'how's wendell doing?', and i say...'funny you should ask'...... :D

Comment

Working...
                              X