Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The tournament needs to finish up already...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The tournament needs to finish up already...

I don't know about you guys, but every time UK wins another game the hole in my heart rips open again. I think it is good for the legacy and perception of WSU if UK keeps winning, but every time they do all I can think of is that should be us. We were one basket away. One missed dunk. A couple more free throws... If ever there was a team that deserved to win it was our guys. They play the game the way it is supposed to be played and they are all great young men. Every time I think I am starting to get over the loss and us getting royally screwed over with our matchups UK plays and wins another game, which brings back all the feelings. The tourney needs to hurry up and finish already so I can get over it lol

I feel the same way. And the minute the tournament ends, somebody will start putting out their 'way to early projected top 25' for next year, and we'll get to see the Shox around #10, and I'll start to be able to look forward to next year :)

Comment

The NCAA needs to have a "formula" for the seeding process. Hell, I don't care if they use Kenpom or have a similar formula that they rip off from Kenpom. It just needs to happen that way. Every time Kentucky wins, I don't think "that should have been us", I think "F'en selection committee, 8 seed my ass" or "BS Mid-West bracket". Wasn't Kentucky at #10 in Kenpom at the end of the season? They are a 3 seed, period. This way there are no arguments on why this team got this seed or that. I would rather be #5 in Kenpom and get a 2 seed than be a 1 seed and play the number 10 kenpom team in the second round.
      “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
      -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

The NCAA has a formula but it isn't very good at determining who the best teams are. The main problem is that margin of victory is very important in every predictive formula and the NCAA does not want to encourage teams running up the score. Even if the margin of victory bonuses were capped, you'd still have teams rushing to try to get to whatever that maximum number is to try to get the best seed possible.

Comment

Originally posted by kochHead View Post
          The NCAA needs to have a "formula" for the seeding process. Hell, I don't care if they use Kenpom or have a similar formula that they rip off from Kenpom. It just needs to happen that way. Every time Kentucky wins, I don't think "that should have been us", I think "F'en selection committee, 8 seed my ass" or "BS Mid-West bracket". Wasn't Kentucky at #10 in Kenpom at the end of the season? They are a 3 seed, period. This way there are no arguments on why this team got this seed or that. I would rather be #5 in Kenpom and get a 2 seed than be a 1 seed and play the number 10 kenpom team in the second round.
          This runs through my head also... Going into the tournament there were only a handful of teams that scared me as much or more than UK. Florida, Louisville, Mich St, and maybe Arizona. No way UK was an 8 seed. They just lost to the #1 overall seed by 1 point on a neutral floor... I don't understand how the committee overlooks all of KUs loses and gives them a #2 seed, but penalizes UK and gives them an 8.... I am not much on conspiracies, but I also find it interesting that it was well known that length might give WSU issues and lo and behold we get matched up against the team with the most length in the whole NCAA... Uk is bigger than some NBA teams.

Comment

I work with the Houston Rockets and I wanted to see how they compare to UK in size. I averaged the size of the top 8 per minutes on each team. UK = 6'6.3" Houston = 6'5.9"

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
              This runs through my head also... Going into the tournament there were only a handful of teams that scared me as much or more than UK. Florida, Louisville, Mich St, and maybe Arizona. No way UK was an 8 seed. They just lost to the #1 overall seed by 1 point on a neutral floor... I don't understand how the committee overlooks all of KUs loses and gives them a #2 seed, but penalizes UK and gives them an 8.... I am not much on conspiracies, but I also find it interesting that it was well known that length might give WSU issues and lo and behold we get matched up against the team with the most length in the whole NCAA... Uk is bigger than some NBA teams.
              No doubt in my mind the committee did the matchups with intent.

No way to ever prove it, but just look at all the othe 8/9 seeds. They don't even hold a candle to UK.

The shatty thing is, their is nothing that can be done about it. NCAA prospers while our players suffer.
              The Assman

Comment

I can't say I'm upset and mad what the committee did for the Midwest bracket as it was somewhat "expected". But it was definitely intentional. Not only all the blue-bloods in the bracket....but something we overlooked is both Tennessee and St. Louis were "potential" match-ups for the Shockers as well. Two teams we already beat earlier in the season. Had either one of those teams won their games...it would have been possible for the Shocks to have to play them AGAIN. Not that I would've feared them....but a rematch with us would've had both those teams playing at a higher level against us simply due to the "rematch".
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by Shockeriffic View Post
                  The NCAA has a formula but it isn't very good at determining who the best teams are. The main problem is that margin of victory is very important in every predictive formula and the NCAA does not want to encourage teams running up the score. Even if the margin of victory bonuses were capped, you'd still have teams rushing to try to get to whatever that maximum number is to try to get the best seed possible.
                  I thought about this too, but it is a poor excuse for not using a formula IMO. You do not benefit much (if at all) by beating a team like Tennessee State by 20 vs 30 in kenpom. Bad teams will still lose by 20 - 30 points, and good teams are not going to get the score run up on them anyway. Also, our Shockers did not run the score up on teams this season, but could have many times, and they were still in the top 5 of Kenpom (I do realize they had a large MOV). Lastly, are we willing to forgo a valid and just seeding process all in the name of "protecting" bad teams from getting a beat down? A-hole coaches run up the score anyway, classy coaches do not, I don't see that changing much.
                  “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                  -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Also, i would give the committee the power to move teams up or down only one seed line from the formula's determination. This would allow for site protection (top 4 seeds), conference issues (first round only), and other things that must be accounted for in a bracket.
                    -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

I remember a couple of years ago (5-6) when the last 5 or last 10 games were critical in seeding so that that they seeded somewhat based off of how that team was playing going into the tournament. Now it just seems to be "body of work".

I understand the body of work for being based on whether or not a team got into the tournament. But seeding should be more of a "what have you done for me lately" kind of thing. IMO
                      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                        I can't say I'm upset and mad what the committee did for the Midwest bracket as it was somewhat "expected". But it was definitely intentional. Not only all the blue-bloods in the bracket....but something we overlooked is both Tennessee and St. Louis were "potential" match-ups for the Shockers as well. Two teams we already beat earlier in the season. Had either one of those teams won their games...it would have been possible for the Shocks to have to play them AGAIN. Not that I would've feared them....but a rematch with us would've had both those teams playing at a higher level against us simply due to the "rematch".
                        yes, i noticed that, too. some uk fans have complained, but clearly the deck was stacked against wichita state.

the shockers are moving up yet again, so they will have the final laugh. wichita is fast break city next season. they aint seen nothin' yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X