Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SportVU technology

Interesting read.

I'm more skeptical that this will create a situation with haves and have nots. NBA teams share this data and every team has this system installed. In college it sounds like this will be a conference by conference decision and there will be no sharing of data outside of that. So in the have vs have not scenario, both teams would have no extra data on each other and would have to prepare like they do now. Also, since the college season is only 30 games plus postseason there's not enough time to make major changes based off their findings.

Comment

Big data has a lot of potential to change sports as we know it but the data collection needs to improve. To get better, more accurate models we need to increase the data collection.

In basketball if you had 3D tracking systems with HFR cameras you could judge things like ball speed through a game, arc on a shot, exact positioning, etc. Sensors in shoes, biometric monitoring, etc. Hell, biometric monitoring could be a big benefit to a program that could afford it. Trainers would know when a player is about to cramp up before the player does.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockeriffic View Post
        I'm more skeptical that this will create a situation with haves and have nots. NBA teams share this data and every team has this system installed. In college it sounds like this will be a conference by conference decision and there will be no sharing of data outside of that. So in the have vs have not scenario, both teams would have no extra data on each other and would have to prepare like they do now. Also, since the college season is only 30 games plus postseason there's not enough time to make major changes based off their findings.
        I agree.
        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Working...
        X