Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We Probably Offered To Play Everyone So...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Think the selection committee will try and match us up with Slu again?
    Possibly, but if they finish strong we wouldn't see them till S16. If VCU finishes well I could see them as an 8/9 in our region though.
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Well part of the problem is anyone in a BCS conference is already playing a bunch of teams that they consider 'good'. Adding WSU to the mix doesn't make sense because it would very likely be another loss, especailly @wsu:. The Shox are a victim of their own success.

Comment

Originally posted by kstarheel View Post
        Well part of the problem is anyone in a BCS conference is already playing a bunch of teams that they consider 'good'. Adding WSU to the mix doesn't make sense because it would very likely be another loss, especailly @wsu:. The Shox are a victim of their own success.
        Ii think with continued success that eventually shifts. Look at Gonzaga. 10 years ago they would never be able to get the level of teams coming to their gym that they do today. But having a perennial top 20 team changed that. It becomes more of a higher profile game and a road loss to a top 25 team doesn't look so bad.

Comment

National TV is what a lot of these bcs schools look for also. If its a national broadcast they become a lot more interested.

Comment

It also has to do with recruiting. Villanova has traditionally recruited heavily in the NY/NJ area and would schedule a number of games against schools in that area. More recently we've been more heavily focused on the DC/Baltimore area and have included teams like Towson and U Delaware on the schedule. The problem with Villanova is that 4 of our OCC games are dedicated to the Big 5. Each year we play the other 4 schools in the Big 5 (St Joe's, Temple, LaSalle and Penn) alternating between home and away.

Comment

arguing with KU and KSU fans is like punching yourself in the junk.

Here are a few tidbits from some on a different forum (non basketball focused forum).

lol. They are the Boise State of the basketball world. Good team that plays nobody. Nobody wants to play them because it's a lose/lose situation. KU/KSU beats them and it's a "duh, not a quality win". KU/KSU loses to them and it hurts them tremendously, losing to a team from a **** conference. Sucks for WSU but not having a football team will keep them out of any major conference that would allow them to showcase their talent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Comparing them to KSU is silly. Could WSU win on any given night? Possibly. But play 5 ranked teams in 2 weeks and then get back to me. It's not football but it does wear people down mentally and physically when you play bigger and better players. WSU will be lucky to get past the sweet 16 IMO.

dude, i'm not going to argue with you but KU's third string could have played WSU's schedule and been undefeated. Their toughest game was arguably Tennessee...... Undefeated record means they showed up every night and haven't had a let down. But if they lose any of their remaining games, I think they should drop to #12 or worse. I rarely say teams benefit from their schedule but that's the worst schedule I might have ever seen from a team ranked in the top #15. It's pretty laughable if you actually look at it.

They aren't the "cinderella team" that the big boys will overlook in the tourney this year. Sweet sixteen tops this year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Their non con won't do them much good anymore after playing so many chump teams.

Sure STL is a good win, but they are the same type of team that WSU is (undefeated in conference). And teams like Alabama and Depaul (both losing records) are both terrible arguing points. Hell, even BYU and Tennessee aren't as great as they have been in previous years.

Comment

Originally posted by Novacat91 View Post
                It also has to do with recruiting. Villanova has traditionally recruited heavily in the NY/NJ area and would schedule a number of games against schools in that area. More recently we've been more heavily focused on the DC/Baltimore area and have included teams like Towson and U Delaware on the schedule. The problem with Villanova is that 4 of our OCC games are dedicated to the Big 5. Each year we play the other 4 schools in the Big 5 (St Joe's, Temple, LaSalle and Penn) alternating between home and away.
                i'd love to see villanova at koch arena, but i can't remember seeing villanova outside of the east, barring the ncaa tournament.

creighton can suck it.

thanks for toppling ku.

Comment

Fact.....In college basketball the home team wins 76% of the games. So the typical blue blood teams dont' want to take a home and home with the likes of our beloved Shockers because they know that there is a good chance they could lose at
                  Charles Koch Arena...and there is a decent chance we would lose at their place as well. So why schedule the Shockers when they can pimp out other teams that don't demand a home and home.

I'm proud of the Shox for not selling their souls. In time we can't be ignored. Keep taking care of business...and sooner or later the blue bloods will get tired of the Shox getting all the attention for going undefeated and will schedule us out of frustration
                  and start scheduling a home and home series.

GO SHOX...Enjoy the ride...It's just the beginning.

Comment

The problem with Villanova is that 4 of our OCC games are dedicated to the Big 5. Each year we play the other 4 schools in the Big 5 (St Joe's, Temple, LaSalle and Penn) alternating between home and away.
                    Don't ever, ever, ever let anyone dismantle the Big 5 series. It's special.
                    If you do you'll end up with some watered down event like they have in Iowa now. Stupid Iowa...

Comment

The Big 5 is one of college basketballs great traditions

It should be a model for other geographic regions.

Comment

Its really funny to watch them squirm when they tell you

Kufan - were better than you.. If we played your schedule we would be undefeated and if you played our schedule you woukd have 5-6 losses

Wsu fan - so what your saying is regardless of the schedule both teams are interchangeable?

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                          i'd love to see villanova at koch arena, but i can't remember seeing villanova outside of the east, barring the ncaa tournament.

creighton can suck it.

thanks for toppling ku.
                          Nova in the past 10 years has had Home and Home series with Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma and UCLA. With the breakup of the BE last year I believe they'll try and keep some of the old rivalries alive (current home and home with Cuse) I would expect to see ND and Louisville on the schedule over the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                            The people complaining about our schedule have no influence on any other team's schedule. It makes no sense to even engage them in a discussion of having their team (or any team) play ours. I've yet to hear complaints coming from other coaches.

I'm fairly certain that several years ago the selection committee stopped giving power-conference teams a pass for cupcake non-conference schedules or playing all their games at home. I seem to recall Boeheim even complaining about that. The talking heads only talked about it for a couple of years. That doesn't mean the selection committee has quit talking about it.
                            I guess we'll see. KState played 0 nada no non conference road games. They shouldn't even be considered for a berth with their (1) true road win this year against a pathetic TCU

Comment

Working...
                            X