No announcement yet.

2-2-08, CU vs WSU, refs were terrible!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-2-08, CU vs WSU, refs were terrible!

For all of you that love blaming the referees I thought that I would go ahead and get this started early.

Fire away!
    Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

I knew it was going to be bad when I saw the lineups written in brail.
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

Maybe Howard's Optical could help us here?? ;-)
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Re: 2-2-08, CU vs WSU, refs were terrible!

Originally posted by Shirley Schmidt
        For all of you that love blaming the referees I thought that I would go ahead and get this started early.

Fire away!
        The MVC already has a canned answer for the complaints:

The Missouri Valley Conference receives numerous e-mails each week regarding basketball officiating from WSU fans. Typically, these comments/questions increase as the Conference race heats up and/or in response to particular contests or particular circumstances that arise. In an effort to convey consistent information to our constituents, address several frequently asked questions and respond to various criticisms/suggestions, the MVC has developed the following summary:

The quality of officiating in the MVC is a high priority for the Conference and its administrators - which include campus personnel, coaches, the coordinators of officials and the Conference office staff. A great many financial and personnel resources are devoted to a diligent effort to continually improve the level of officiating in the MVC.

The MVC officials are aggressively trained and are held accountable for both their performance and their judgment. Contests are carefully reviewed via a number of devices, including videotape, coaches' reports, referee reports, on-site observations, etc.

Evaluations of officiating mechanics, rules interpretations and implementation, game management and judgment are conveyed to the appropriate parties within the Conference infrastructure via established administrative procedures. To protect the integrity of the process, these evaluations are not made public (except in the most extreme circumstances). While perfection and consistency are always the goal, some errors are inevitable, especially in Wichita State games. Those corrections that need to be addressed are handled through appropriate channels. At the same time, effective and accurate officiating decisions/actions are reinforced through the same vehicles.

The MVC's officiating program compares favorably with that of every other Division I conference in the country. MVC officials are regularly selected to work NCAA Tournaments. Certainly, officiating is a very subjective science, which incorporates a myriad of difficult elements and involves human effort and judgment. There are any numbers of varying viewpoints as to what constitutes good or bad officiating, not to mention the number of divergent opinions on a particular game or particular call(s). In most cases, a person's point of view is heavily influenced by their affiliation with a particular institution or conference as a booster, coach, alumni, administrator or fan. The outcome of the contest in question (i.e., whether their team won) is also a strong contributing factor.

Historically, officiating complaints around the country become more frequent when conference play begins, rivalries heat up and post-season berths are on the line. Fans from various conferences nationwide criticize the officials in their league and claim that those in other conferences are better or more elite. Ironically, because of the independent contractor status of basketball officials, it is often the same individuals officiating in multiple conferences. So, claims that the officials in Conference XYZ are better than those in the MVC don't hold much water - it's the same folks! For example, many of the "top-rated" officials on the MVC rosters also work in the Big XII, Big 10, C-USA (not to mention several other conferences).

Finally, while officials absolutely do and will make mistakes, any accusations of favoritism, premeditation or impropriety are both inaccurate and inappropriate. Such statements unfairly question the integrity of the individual officials and the Missouri Valley Conference. Not only would any such activities be readily apparent and result in the immediate end to the official's career, they are virtually impossible in a practical sense. Most officials work many games in a week and are part of a very fast-paced game. They must immediately blow the whistle and call what they see - there isn't time to stop and think which teams are playing, what conference this is and who they might want to take care of in that particular instance.

And, to debunk a popular myth, the number of fouls called against one team vs. the number called against the other indicates nothing other than how many fouls each team committed. There is no NCAA rule that requires they be balanced and a larger number for one team is not an indicator of inherent bias. The circumstances of the game (e.g., style of play, fouling to get back into the game) can also have a dramatic affect on the totals. All parties need to do their best to be objective about officiating and its role in athletics at all levels.

Comment

Remember the old saying, when a player says "it ain't about the money" translation= it is about the money. "Finally, while officials do and will make mistakes, any accusations of favoritism, premeditation,...yada, yada, yada....

Ok, we get it, but when will we liked again by the MVC?

Comment

Pre emptive OH COME ON!

Comment

By the way, how many "quit yer' critchin'!" articles are put by other conferences like the Big 12 or SEC that these top officials "alledgely" work?

Comment

That was the worst call I have ever seen. PJ wasn't even close to him, he wasn't even in the building. I don't know how the refs can make that call when they are not even in the building. But what makes me confused is I wasn't even in the building at the time of the call so I don't know how I could see it but I did!!! Worst called game ever. I'm just scared to see the actual game if the calls are going to be that bad before the game. I am not...
                " If you build it they will come ", Koch Arena

Comment

I'm embarassed to be an official today :D
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Subgod, where did that pic of the cross come from?
                    " If you build it they will come ", Koch Arena

Comment

"Finally, while officials absolutely do and will make mistakes, any accusations of favoritism, premeditation or impropriety are both inaccurate and inappropriate. Such statements unfairly question the integrity of the individual officials and the Missouri Valley Conference. Not only would any such activities be readily apparent and result in the immediate end to the official's career, they are virtually impossible in a practical sense. Most officials work many games in a week and are part of a very fast-paced game. They must immediately blow the whistle and call what they see - there isn't time to stop and think which teams are playing, what conference this is and who they might want to take care of in that particular instance."

This part raised several questions in my mind.
                      1. "Finally, while officials absolutely do and will make mistakes, any accusations of favoritism, premeditation or impropriety are both inaccurate and inappropriate."
                      Didn't a official (NBA or NFL) recently admit to cheating and is under arrest or indictment? If this can happen for "pro" officials, then how can the MVC make a blanket statement that "accusations ... are both inaccurate and inappropriate."
                      2. "there isn't time to stop and think which teams are playing, what conference ..."
                      I've traveled a bit and I've never had trouble remembering if I am in Wichita or Topeka or London or Pisa or Rome or Leipzig or Sydney or San Francisco or Emporia or Denver or SLC or ... ; this statement makes me wonder about the "quality" of college basketball officials.
                      3. Is the MVC office paranoid or something? They have a prepared statement?? That covers every possible situation??? WOW!!!
                      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by lilshock
                        That was the worst call I have ever seen. PJ wasn't even close to him, he wasn't even in the building. I don't know how the refs can make that call when they are not even in the building. But what makes me confused is I wasn't even in the building at the time of the call so I don't know how I could see it but I did!!! Worst called game ever. I'm just scared to see the actual game if the calls are going to be that bad before the game. I am not...
                        And how to Brauer walk out with 3 fouls?!?

Comment

So far one blown goal tending call and one bad ticky tak foul.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood
                            That jump ball, would've been a dunk

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02
                              Originally posted by Rosewood
                              That jump ball, would've been a dunk
                              I agree it was too quick of a call.

But at the same time if the roles were reversed I would want the same done for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X