Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update on Matt and his concussion (I ruined the other one)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Matt and his concussion (I ruined the other one)

Leaning into it -- Senior Matt Braeuer went through a 45-minute exertion test during practice on Friday.

It lasted a little longer than Thursday's session of running, dribbling and shooting. He will probably do something similar today in Omaha and again on Sunday.

He will miss his 10th game tonight due to the affects of a concussion suffered on Dec. 29 against Drake. He said no longer feels the headaches and other symptom of the concussion. His return to basketball is not certain, but he is leaning toward playing.

"Sometime in next couple days I'm going to have to make a decision," he said. "I've been cleared for everything, except contact.

"I wouldn't be doing this if there wasn't a chance of me coming back. I've got a few more days and I've got to talk about it more and we'll go from there."

Should he return he will wear a black protective headband, which he has tried on but not worn in workouts.

"It's not too bad," he said.

WSU practiced with 10 players on Friday before leaving for Omaha. Freshman Bret Michael remains sidelined with a stretched ligaments in his left knee. Junior A.J. Hawkins, a transfer who is redshirting this season, is out with a dislocated toe on his right foot.

I will worry the entire time Matt plays but IF he decides to play and IF Marshall lets him play, this might be the spark we need going into the MVC tourney. Suppose Matt comes in and makes a big difference. Will opposing coaches instruct their players to play Matt "tough" in the hope that he leaves the game? I have no reason to believe this but such things have happened in the history of college sports before (e.g. Johnny Bright http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Bright_Incident).
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
      I will worry the entire time Matt plays but IF he decides to play and IF Marshall lets him play, this might be the spark we need going into the MVC tourney. Suppose Matt comes in and makes a big difference. Will opposing coaches instruct their players to play Matt "tough" in the hope that he leaves the game? I have no reason to believe this but such things have happened in the history of college sports before (e.g. Johnny Bright http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Bright_Incident).
      I think the Johnny Bright incident is a little different than Matt's. I doubt any coach in the nation will put a kids life at risk by telling his players to elbow Matt in the head or try to knock him out of the game. That's an easy way to get fired.
      "You can observe a lot just by watching."
      -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by BA2929
        Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
        I think the Johnny Bright incident is a little different than Matt's. I doubt any coach in the nation will put a kids life at risk by telling his players to elbow Matt in the head or try to knock him out of the game. That's an easy way to get fired.
        Or go to jail. If that was proven that someone did it, they'd at minimum be charged with battery, and if the DA was a real ahole, he might go even worse.

Comment

I don't think about the worst that will happen to him...Trust he will make the best decision for himself and family...Only he knows what feels right..right now. None of us know and should just want what he wants..

Comment

Matt has been one of my favorite players since he stepped on the court for us, and I'd love to get the chance to see him play again.

However, I think we might see him on senior night, but beyond that, I think he's really risking an awful lot. His choice--his decision, and he's been given the best possible advice and information from his doctor, family and friends...

It's going to take him a little while to get back into playing condition (as I've heard that he's noted to people) so I don't see him back to 100% until senior night anyway, but we'll see.

Comment

My "Johnny Bright" example was over the top and my actual thought was that another coach might ask a player to play Matt "tough enough" that Marshall might pull him out to avoid injury. This assumes Matt returns and is very effective. I hope Matt stays on the sidelines because we're not going far this year, with or without him; why take a chance (with Matt's future)?
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

i don't know....I think that if we continue to get better and better from where we are now - - and we add Matt in the mix that we have a shot at getting pretty far in the mvc tourney. How cool would that be?

Comment

Originally posted by melcong4
                  i don't know....I think that if we continue to get better and better from where we are now - - and we add Matt in the mix that we have a shot at getting pretty far in the mvc tourney. How cool would that be?
                  This team definitely has the fight to win a game against any team in the MVC, but they get gassed after one game. I can't imagine, with this depth, them getting more than 1 win in St. Louis.

Comment

Braeuer is getting closer. Will we see him in uniform this weekend, I wonder?

Braeuer back to practicing; no games yet

Comment

I agree that it is highly unlikely that any coach would instruct his players to intentionally hurt a player, although it has happened.

But if he has to play, start him off at home. I would imagine that the chances are pretty damn slim that any team would intentionally hurt a player on his home court and expect to escape without causing a riot.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock
                        I agree that it is highly unlikely that any coach would instruct his players to intentionally hurt a player, although it has happened.

But if he has to play, start him off at home. I would imagine that the chances are pretty damn slim that any team would intentionally hurt a player on his home court and expect to escape without causing a riot.
                        I was not really saying another coach would ask or want his player to injury someone. On the other hand, if Matt hit 3 or 4 threes in the first five minutes of a game and was otherwise highly effective (I'm dreaming here, of course), I can see the other team's coach saying (in those old basketball phrases) "Get into his shorts" or "Don't let him breath." I don't know how Matt or Gregg would react to really tight, really tough defense on Matt; I suspect Matt would not worry about it but I don't know how Gregg would react.

Of course, one reason I am asking this is because I wish Matt could come back and be extremely effective while not getting hurt. The storyline would be that Matt comes back, WSU wins the MVC tourney, WSU wins the national title and Matt never has any (further) medical concerns. I'm not sure what I am smoking but it must be good.
                        :lol:

Comment

WSU wins the national title and Matt never has any (further) medical concerns. I'm not sure what I am smoking but it must be good.

PLEASE SHARE LOL
                          From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

[/quote] Of course, one reason I am asking this is because I wish Matt could come back and be extremely effective while not getting hurt. The storyline would be that Matt comes back, WSU wins the MVC tourney, WSU wins the national title and Matt never has any (further) medical concerns. I'm not sure what I am smoking but it must be good.
                            :lol:[/quote]

It must be the same stuff that RipEmUpShox is smoking. :yahoo:
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I know alot of us just hope Matt's making the right decision to come back or not. But Can you imagine the ovation Matty B would get when he took the floor, if he decided to come back.
                              :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:
                              Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Working...
                              X