Is it me or

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it me or

Is it me or are the other Valley schools recruiting a lot more Juco's. I guess they see what the Shocks are doing and want to emulate.
    Professional gas passer.

Originally posted by blackandgold View Post
    Is it me or are the other Valley schools recruiting a lot more Juco's. I guess they see what the Shocks are doing and want to emulate.
    I think it goes in spurts. You are seeing more due to the abnormally high number of players transferring to other schools. The kids leaving seem to be second and third year players.

Comment

Biggest difference alot of those Valley schools NEED to fill spots so they turn to Juco's.

For us its more of a means than an end.

Comment

It's funny, because I asked on the MVC forums if other programs would start taking more Juco players after the success we've had on them, and some people freaked out at the idea that they would change their programs at all.

I don't think Juco players are a long term solution, but they definitely helped us get back faster and reload quickly. I can't imagine our team without Cleanthony, the Carl Hall, Rags, etc.
        Originally posted by BleacherReport
        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Bradley and SIU are in rebuild mode and they need players.

I'll St, OTOH is snatching up JUCOs by the handful. Three or four for next year. Of course they are filling 7 or 8 scholarships.
          Livin the dream

Comment

I understand the arguments in favor of freshmen and of course I would usually want a freshmen of equal ability or greater potential than a junior, but you can't argue with results and I like the niche we are currently filling as the premier school for elite jucos to attend with the knowledge they will be given every chance to come in and contribute in a big way immediately (at many schools there is a perception of a certain disrespect for jucos). Some misses along the way, but Clemente, Hannah, Ragland, Smith, Hall, and Early are quite a line-up. And Wiggins, Lufile, and Carter could all make an impact next year.
            Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Gregg Marshall and staff are going Billy Beane on college basketball. While everyone else is transfixed on the high school prospect they're out there trying to find the best basketball players for their style-regardless of where they find the players. JUCO players are generally less of a risk than HS. They're 2 years more mature and you have a sampling of what they can do against typically better competition. Plus they're hungry to prove that they belong at the D1 level. Not to say a HS guy isn't but there is a different mentality when you're a couple years closer to the potential end of your playing career. I have absolutely no problem with JUCO guys. I think the 4 year recruit, while nice, is overvalued.

Comment

It has been pointed out in other threads that our 2 year guys by and large were to fill holes left by unexpected departures. I think that this will continue to be the case for WSU but the four/five year players should be the foundation for the program. Some of the 2 year guys adapt quickly to Division 1 but as we have seen sometimes it takes some longer so in reality they are productive for 1-1 1/2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                  Gregg Marshall and staff are going Billy Beane on college basketball. While everyone else is transfixed on the high school prospect they're out there trying to find the best basketball players for their style-regardless of where they find the players. JUCO players are generally less of a risk than HS. They're 2 years more mature and you have a sampling of what they can do against typically better competition. Plus they're hungry to prove that they belong at the D1 level. Not to say a HS guy isn't but there is a different mentality when you're a couple years closer to the potential end of your playing career. I have absolutely no problem with JUCO guys. I think the 4 year recruit, while nice, is overvalued.
                  I would think entrance/transfer requirements would hamper several schools from taking many Juco guys. Lets face it, lots of these guys went Juco, not because they didn't have D1 skills, but because they didn't get much more than their name right on the ACT.
                  Last edited by ShockBand; April 23, 2013, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shockkansas View Post
                    I would think entrance/transfer requirements would hamper several schools from taking many Juco guys. Lets face it, lots of these guys went Juco, not because they didn't have D1 skills, but because they didn't get much more than their name right on the ACT.
                    And just what did you edit @ShockBand:? It's still spoken like the pr*ck he is.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                      And just what did you edit @ShockBand? It's still spoken like the pr*ck he is.
                      Just fixed the quote box, it wasn't coded right. No editorial edits were made. I was not flying a black helicopter at the time, either.
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Well anybody that makes it into WSU could get into KSU too. They have identical admissions requirements, and are very similar to what most state universities require.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                          Well anybody that makes it into WSU could get into KSU too. They have identical admissions requirements, and are very similar to what most state universities require.
                          True, or KU for that matter... and I didn't imply otherwise. I was just pointing out that a Drake, Evansville, Creighton/Loyola, or Bradley will not likely have the same opportunity for Juco players as WSU. Some of you guys seem a little tense.

Comment

True, or KU for that matter... and I didn't imply otherwise. I was just pointing out that a Drake, Evansville, Creighton/Loyola, or Bradley will not likely have the same opportunity for Juco players as WSU. Some of you guys seem a little tense.
                            You're right. If anyone should be tense around here, it probably should be you, considering what's swirling around up in that neck of the woods.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                              Especially when you consider many freshmen are not physically ready to compete at the D1 level and need a redshirt year. Makes a Juco even more appealing. I agree with the freshman approach but love what Marshall and staff are doing in the Juco ranks as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X