Basketball in Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basketball in Kansas

Bob Lutz's article in the Eagle today kind of struck a 'chord' with me. Though I am not a KU or KSU fan (and I particularly loathe the seemingly arrogant and egotistical KU fans in particular), it brought into perspective the simple fact that basketball is Kansas. We're pretty lucky to have 3 great programs with great fan bases and traditions in our state. In fact, it's possible that in the next couple of years we could have THREE Kansas teams in the top 25 (I know, I'm being optimistic about our chances in the next couple of seasons), which says a lot about how much basketball means to our state, and how much the sport owes to our state.

I particularly liked the photo/music montage online at Kansas.com that you can click on--showing pictures from all three games yesterday.

Indeed, a great story with great pictures. We are fortunate to have such a great state for watching hoops with 3 programs so many people follow.

Comment

Good find 25! :good:
      SFL is back!

Comment

Although I relate KU b-ball fans to the Cowboys fans in the 90's and how some of them are arrogant to the extreme and act like their doo-doo don't stink, you can't argue with success and they have earned the right to have the swagger. KSU not so much, they are now where we were in 2005, it won't last.

I don't have a problem with the hype and love KU gets in the Kansas media when it comes to basketball. We experience the same sort of love when baseball season comes around. If we can turn this program around in the next few seasons, and KSU doesn't lose Beasely and Walker to the draft, then I see all three D1 programs in the Top 25.

Not many other states can say that which would be cool.

Comment

I enjoyed the article

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
            and KSU doesn't lose Beasley and Walker to the draft
            Beasley is projected to go as the #1 overall pick after this season. There is absolutely no way he doesn't go pro after this year. If Walker keeps playing like he is right now, he'll move up into the lottery. KSU will fall back to NIT level after this season.
            "You can observe a lot just by watching."
            -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by BA2929
              Beasley is projected to go as the #1 overall pick after this season. There is absolutely no way he doesn't go pro after this year. If Walker keeps playing like he is right now, he'll move up into the lottery. KSU will fall back to NIT level after this season.
              Something tells me KSU will build on their recent success better than WSU did under Turgeon.
              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I only said that because Beasely publically announced he wanted to stay at KSU until he is a senior. (Yeah right). But, in the one in one billion chance that happened, KSU would be representing for a while.

Comment

Nice job by Lutz and it would be fun to see all three teams play on one day. I beat up on 'ole Bob a lot but this was a good effort.

When was the last time all three made the big dance? I think was in the early 90's when Kruger and Fogler were coaching. We know for sure it was '96 or earlier what with the Purple boys sucking so much after that year.

FWIW the KSU women won at number 14 OSU today and are now 6-0 with three road conference wins. They should move up from their current ranking of 22.

Comment

1988 was the last year all three made the Dance.

I believe 1981 is the only other year all three were in.

Comment

the picture of phil at the end of that video pretty much sums up our season

Comment

i agree that kstate will fall next season.
                        fall hard.
                        from what i've read in espn magazine, bill walker probably won't leave after this season.
                        many scouts don't like him.
                        they said going to college killed his chances of the NBA.
                        he's 6'6" but plays best at PF. def. not good enough at SF for NBA either.
                        lately i've noticed that he's been knocking down the 3 ball. that'll help alot.

so anyhow, he'll be around for at least another year.

until he's more than a freak athlete.
                        veni, vidi, vici

Comment

Don't understand all the anger towards KUs program. There are arrogant fans in every fanbase, especially in successful programs. Did everyone forget about the Bill Self shirts some WSU student made?? I've never seen more arrogant fans (other than mu) when WSU tasted success in the S16 and KU choked in the first round. I can't imagine the chest thumping and cockiness if WSU was in KSU or KUs position. Not sure if its jealously or what but its kinda lame. I'm a fan of both programs, but idiot fans are found everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by thenightwatchman
                            Don't understand all the anger towards KUs program. There are arrogant fans in every fanbase, especially in successful programs. Did everyone forget about the Bill Self shirts some WSU student made?? I've never seen more arrogant fans (other than mu) when WSU tasted success in the S16 and KU choked in the first round. I can't imagine the chest thumping and cockiness if WSU was in KSU or KUs position. Not sure if its jealously or what but its kinda lame. I'm a fan of both programs, but idiot fans are found everywhere.
                            cool.
                            ________
                            Avensis
                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

20-0

Comment

Working...
                              X