No announcement yet.

The Officials at the bradley game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are supposedly getting refs from the same pool that officiate Big 10 and Big 12 games. So I don't think the issue is the quality of refs we are getting.

They just had as bad a game as we did the 1st half.

It's better than the days where we complained about the officiating and ticky-tack fouls after EVERY game.

Comment

The best thing is you can remember about Refs is they are people like us and they have the same limitations. They have good nights, bad nights. Most are impartial, fair, cool headed - but then again you can get one who is none of these things.

The best thing a team can do is play to a level where no matter how good or bad a referee is won't effect whether you win or lose. Bradley did that last night, Wichita didn't.

Comment

I have a question. Has the shot clock always reset after a foul? Bradley was able to run off 2 or 3 minutes of clock by just having their guards drive into the lane and draw a foul and have the shot clock reset. On one occasion there was kicked ball and the clock reset to 15 seconds rather than the 35 it used to be. I understood that change was to not penalize good defense. However, resetting the shot clock after a foul in this instance also appeared to me to penalize WSU each time for playing good defense until there was 2 or 3 seconds on the clock and then blam it was back to 35 seconds.

Comment

yes, always resets after the foul. the fouls were disputable for both teams. the problem is, this is constantly effecting momentum and good officiating should not do that. nobody paid to see them. elgin needs to get this under control.

Comment

Apparently, Andy Katz (espn) has also noticed some officiating slippage...

3. Officiating Slippage
            I hate to warn my officiating friends who normally do an outstanding job, but I have started to see some officiating slippage recently in certain areas. When it come to rough play, conference games become much too physical compared to the way nonconference games are officiated and I think there are some reasons for this.

Early season games allow officials to set the tone for the year and games are, generally, officiated in accordance with the points of emphasis. So, rough post play, for example, is adjudicated properly. However, once conference play with its heated rivalries get under way, there is a reluctance by officials to get players into foul trouble and put them on the bench. Because they are more familiar with conference players they see all the time, they tend to let more go. And, officials are human. They don't want the coaches that they see regularly, as well, constantly in their ear. Nobody likes getting harassed all the time.

The problem with overly physical play is that it usually puts one team at a disadvantage. Physicality, while part of the game of basketball, should not be used to gain an advantage illegally. So, this is precisely the time of year when the rules must be officiated with consistency. There is more at stake in the next six weeks than there is in November and December. You'd be amazed at how one illegal screen or illegal "swim move" in the post could could affect the outcome of a close game and, potentially, a season.

So, a word to officiating friends: Stay on the "points of emphasis" rules. You guys do a great job already.

Comment

Working...
            X