The Officials at the bradley game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shockball
    What was the warning to the Wichita State bench for?

He probably left the coaches box. They're supposedly "cracking down" on that this season. However, they (the refs) should be cracking down on not stinking so badly. In my opinion, the refs were calling a decent game up until that point in the 2nd half when they called 4 fouls on WSU in a span of about 2 minutes. It was like the refs looked up at the Team Fouls and realized they hadn't called many, so they just blew the whistle for the fun of it. Maybe they didn't want to go into Overtime and have to ref an extra 5 minutes, so they called fouls on WSU so Bradley could increase its lead. Refs don't get paid extra for OT.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    -- Yogi Berra

Comment

To be fair, both teams had 17 personal fouls each and we had more free throw attempts than they did. We lost the game by Bradley making 9 of 17 3-point shots and we only made 3.

Comment

KC nobody is saying we lost because of the refs.
        We shot like what 30 percent for the game. Thats the reason right there.

But for like a 3 minute stretch we went from 1 or 2 team fouls to 7 and the ball never left their side of the court.

im not sayin.............im just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3
          The Valley pays the experienced refs $1800 per game and the new guys $1400 per game.

You would think for that kind of money they could find some better refs.

Maybe they should just pay them $100 a game and save the money.

I don't think that the quality would be much different. :wsu_posters:
          And i get 15 dollars a game for 3rd graders. lol.
          and 40 dollars for JV football.
          High School varity experienced refs get. 80 for a friday night game.
          in football.

thats an insane amount of money.
          "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
          CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

Originally posted by RipEmUpShox
            Originally posted by shocker3
            The Valley pays the experienced refs $1800 per game and the new guys $1400 per game.

You would think for that kind of money they could find some better refs.

Maybe they should just pay them $100 a game and save the money.

I don't think that the quality would be much different. :wsu_posters:
            And i get 15 dollars a game for 3rd graders. lol.
            and 40 dollars for JV football.
            High School varity experienced refs get. 80 for a friday night game.
            in football.

thats an insane amount of money.
            I "earned" $75 for umpiring a Friends University baseball scrimmage against Butler County. Easiest money I've ever made.
            "You can observe a lot just by watching."
            -- Yogi Berra

Comment

That's not bad money...

What do I have to do to become a ref?
              Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
              Students > Alumni
              If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
              The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Originally posted by fastbow
                That's not bad money...

Be blind and get a lobotomy.

Comment

Dang it...
                  I'm only blind in one eye...
                  Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                  Students > Alumni
                  If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                  The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Didn't the MVC publish something last year about they were taking steps to insure that we would have quality referees officiating the games???

What steps have they taken? Is officiating better or worse than last year?
                    At $1,800 a game, I think I could do just as good.

Anyone have Elgin's cell phone number??? :-x

Comment

I hope that the valley reviews preformance after the season and does'nt offer these guys any valley games next season. People reffing biddy ball could have done a better job. They didn't cost us the game but they removed all the flow of the game. Maybe next year they will be back to reffing middle school games where their talents seem place them. No offense to the guys that ref middle school games and for the most part do an excellent job.

Comment

I thought they were pretty good until a few tic tack fouls toward the end. There didnt seem to be that many fouls called, they let them play. Spoonhour thought the game was called pretty well also! We didnt lose because of fouls. We lost because of bad passes and poor shooting down low! :posterwu: 8)
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
                          That's not bad money...

That hurts.

To become a certified official you need to check out KSHSAA.org. There are also camps in the off season where you can go and they'll help you learn the game, rules, mechanics and whatnot. There are plenty of good officials in and around the Wichita area. Find one and latch on.

I've done a lot of HS and get anywhere from 25 to 40 dollars a game. I think varsity officials usually get 100 a night. Even middle schools pay 20+ per game.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                            Originally posted by SB Shock
                            That's not bad money...

That hurts.

To become a certified official you need to check out KSHSAA.org. There are also camps in the off season where you can go and they'll help you learn the game, rules, mechanics and whatnot. There are plenty of good officials in and around the Wichita area. Find one and latch on.

I've done a lot of HS and get anywhere from 25 to 40 dollars a game. I think varsity officials usually get 100 a night. Even middle schools pay 20+ per game.
                            i have been a certified ref in kansas for 4 years now, and its prolly the easiest you could make, that is if you have some ear plugs!
                            Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

That's not bad money...

you should try it man, they are always needing officials, i think its the perfect job for students such you and myself.
                              Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

It seems like the quality of officiating in the game of college basketball has gone down considerably across the nation. I think one of the toughest things that I notice is the last 5 minutes are called different then the first 35. It's not fair to the players for that to happen. I have no doubt the officials are trying to do the best job possible and maybe it's time for the NCAA and others to look at a way in improving the officiating system to make it more consistant.

In a lot of ways basketball has become to filled with gray areas which makes it hard to officiate. I know when the NHL came back from the strike they gave the officials the instruction to bring the rules back to black and white and no more "well it didn't really look to bad" type of attitude. Maybe something like this is due in basketball.

Comment

Working...
                                X