Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Should be the Shocker on MVC 1st Team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
    Do you take a breath or blink while typing these posts that are mostly void of capital letters and proper punctuation?

Just curious.
    I'll accept your criticism and try not to be so lazy in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Hall got absolutely abused by McD today defensively. It was really, really bad. I love Hall to death but this was the most watched game of the season and he didn't do himself any favors on that end of the court.
      Hey there, if you're not careful I may conclude we have a closet BlueJay fan in the house! :wink-new:

Your right, but it wasn't just Carl who was abused by McDermott. He pretty much torched anyone and everyone we tried on him.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        Hey there, if you're not careful I may conclude we have a closet BlueJay fan in the house! :wink-new:

Your right, but it wasn't just Carl who was abused by McDermott. He pretty much torched anyone and everyone we tried on him.
        Hahaha, those are fightin' words! :)

Yes he torched one and all. But Carl and Cle were gettin' the worst of it. I actually liked what Tekele was laying down but I guess HC3GM saw it differently.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I'm not sure that there is anyone in college ball whom McDermott wouldn't have hosed today.

There was one play in particular where Hall was all over him and he simply took a step backwards (to 3 1/2 point range) and drilled it.

That is simply unstoppable.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
            I'm not sure that there is anyone in college ball whom McDermott wouldn't have hosed today.

There was one play in particular where Hall was all over him and he simply took a step backwards (to 3 1/2 point range) and drilled it.

That is simply unstoppable.
            I remember that and initially I thought the same thing.

Then I thought about how flat footed he caught Hall and how Tekele would have stuck to him like velcro. In fact, just a couple of plays later that's exactly what happened. He had a 1-on-1 with Tekele in the exact same area of the court, and started to step back, and Tekele was in his face quicker than quick. Since he couldn't get a shot off, he tried dribbling around Tekele and did draw a foul. But at least he didn't get it the easy way.

If I remember right that was right before Tekele took one in the mouth from Armstead's dome.

I think not having Tekele shadow McDermott pretty much the entire game, like he did the second half of our home game, was a tactical mistake. But I will fully admit it's _very_ difficult for a coach to sacrifice a player in that type of role, and don't blame HC3GM one bit.

Comment

we miss Ben Smith in situations like this. I love Tekele, but he's about 3-4 inches too short. We need a 6'5"-6'7" guy that can be all world defender. Aaron Ellis was another guy like that, both guys way under appreciated.

Comment

We miss Ben Smith, period.

Comment

Just for fun/boredom/desire to be made fun of, I wanted to try to put together an All-Valley first, second and third team. The lesson that I learned from this is that guard play sucks in the Valley. The league is full of 6 foot shoot first players and most teams have no real point guard.

1st team:
                  McDermott
                  Carmichael
                  Gibbs - Guess who has the best pure point rating in the Valley?
                  Ryan
                  Odum

2nd team:
                  Echenique - Everyone on the first team plays at least 30 minutes a game. Echenique only gets 22.
                  Hall - Even with missing seven games he's almost played as many minutes as Echenique.
                  Cleanthony Early - Third in PER, third in offensive rating for players using at least 24% of possessions. He's bumped to 2nd team because number 1 and 2 in PER are McDermott and Carmichael. Also I think Gibbs deserves recognition for doing all the little things.
                  Tyler Brown - I wanted to bump him down to 3rd team because of the 2 shot effort against Missouri St and subsequent suspension but guard play in the Valley is terrible.
                  Jeff Early - Surprisingly efficient player and the best rebounder for SIU. Also guard play in the Valley is terrible.

3rd team:
                  Seth Tuttle - Very close to making second team. The players immediately above him are better defenders and just as efficient.
                  Jake Koch - UNI finished 3rd even though Anthony James was doing his best to stop them. Koch and Tuttle are the reasons why UNI won.
                  Ben Simons - Arop gets bumped down for getting suspended
                  Anthony Downing - If you want to put one of the Bradley guards here then go ahead
                  Malcolm Armstead - Close to being second team. One of the few 6 foot players that actually gets an assist on over a third of his possessions.

Comment

Originally posted by garylee View Post
                    10 assists in 416 minutes
                    How many touches did he have?

Just wondering.
                    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Shockeriffic View Post
                      Just for fun/boredom/desire to be made fun of, I wanted to try to put together an All-Valley first, second and third team. The lesson that I learned from this is that guard play sucks in the Valley. The league is full of 6 foot shoot first players and most teams have no real point guard.

1st team:
                      McDermott
                      Carmichael
                      Ryan
                      Odum

2nd team:
                      Echenique - Everyone on the first team plays at least 30 minutes a game. Echenique only gets 22.
                      Hall - Even with missing seven games he's almost played as many minutes as Echenique.
                      Cleanthony Early - Third in PER, third in offensive rating for players using at least 24% of possessions. He's bumped to 2nd team because number 1 and 2 in PER are McDermott and Carmichael. Also I think Gibbs deserves recognition for doing all the little things.
                      Tyler Brown - I wanted to bump him down to 3rd team because of the 2 shot effort against Missouri St and subsequent suspension but guard play in the Valley is terrible.
                      Jeff Early - Surprisingly efficient player and the best rebounder for SIU. Also guard play in the Valley is terrible.

3rd team:
                      Seth Tuttle - Very close to making second team. The players immediately above him are better defenders and just as efficient.
                      Jake Koch - UNI finished 3rd even though Anthony James was doing his best to stop them. Koch and Tuttle are the reasons why UNI won.
                      Anthony Downing - If you want to put one of the Bradley guards here then go ahead
                      Malcolm Armstead - Close to being second team. One of the few 6 foot players that actually gets an assist on over a third of his possessions.
                      Your rundown and analysis is pretty sound, IMO. It is pretty hard not to put each of your 1st teamers there, despite the poor finish by IllSt and InSt fade at the end.

I might swap Armstead and Cle Early between 2nd and 3rd teams. I think Early gets a pass due to a couple really good games, but overall Armstead was a little more consistent.

--'85.
                      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

First Team MVC
                        1. Doug McDermott
                        2. Jackie Chan Carmichael
                        3. Jake Odum
                        4. Colt Ryan
                        5. Open - could be Hall. Could be Early. Could be someone else....(Ben Simons?)
                        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

1st team:
                          McDermott
                          Carmichael
                          Ryan
                          Odum

2nd team:

3rd team:
                          I like this but Malcolm is 2nd team no questions asked. He has several top ten in the conference stats (not just comparing PGs) in the most important areas for a PG:

Assists
                          Assist/Turnover
                          3 pt Shooting
                          Steals

He is the most well rounded PG in the league. Odum is the most productive. In my mind it's really all about those two and the other PGs aren't that close.

Comment

1st team:
                            McDermott
                            Carmichael
                            Ryan
                            Odum

2nd team:

3rd team:
                            Gibbs is most certainly first team making your first team picks ALL correct. The guy shoots 54% and has 182 assists
                            compared to Earlys 46% with a mere 19 assists. For me, that is very telling and a weakness that Cle HAS to improve
                            on the rest of this year and next. Wiggins only has ten and needs drastic improvement, as well. Niether had a single
                            assist yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by garylee View Post
                              Gibbs is most certainly first team making your first team picks ALL correct. The guy shoots 54% and has 182 assists
                              compared to Earlys 46% with a mere 19 assists. For me, that is very telling and a weakness that Cle HAS to improve
                              on the rest of this year and next. Wiggins only has ten and needs drastic improvement, as well. Niether had a single
                              assist yesterday.
                              say what? early has 19 assists for the season?

oh, he could do so much better.

Comment

FWIW some tweets and re-tweets from Suellentrop today:

Paul Suellentrop ‏@PaulS:uellentrop

@KelMoney24 @Clearly_BallLyf Solid. Hearing a lot of Cleanthony on first team. Guessing Carl will be second team.

Todd Golden ‏@TribStarTodd

All-Newcomer: 1. C. Early, 2. D. Jackson, 3. M. Armstead, 4. M. Marshall, 5. T. Pickett. Early can beat a team in a lot of different ways

All-Defensive Team: 1. D. Simms-Edwards, 2. T. Taylor, 3. T. Cotton, 4. G. Echenique, 5. C. Hall. DSE was a game-changer defensively.

All-MVC: 1. McDermott, 2. Ryan, 3. Carmichael, 4. C. Early, 5. T. Brown, 6. D. Jackson, 7. D. Simms-Edwards, 8. Gibbs, 9. Lemon, 10. Clarke.

Defensive Team: 1. WSU, 2. UNI. Panthers allowed fewer ppg, but that has a lot to do with tempo. WSU was 2nd with better victory margin.
                                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Working...
                                X