Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BostonWu
    Originally posted by JVShocker
    Agreed on the zone thing. So, why didn't the coaching staff make some kind of adjustment in the game earlier? Be it press or zone, do something to shake things up, and give it more than one sequence to see if it works.
    I think that's what everyone's wondering. Last night on the coach's show MT said "fool's gold - that's not who we are." Well if he strictly wants to stick to the plan - 40 minutes of solid man and deliberate motion offense -then he's got some recruiting to do. Becuase I just don't think we have the personnel to dictate these terms to the opposition.
    Not to turn this into another "bash MT" topic, but comments like that really bug me. So what if "who we are" does not include pressing or zone defense. If the opponent or the game situation calls for getting away from "who we are", then do it!

Comment

I think that's what everyone's wondering. Last night on the coach's show MT said "fool's gold - that's not who we are." Well if he strictly wants to stick to the plan - 40 minutes of solid man and deliberate motion offense -then he's got some recruiting to do. Becuase I just don't think we have the personnel to dictate these terms to the opposition.
      Turgeon = Custer then for his not wanting to adjust game play early-on to try and "shake things up?"

Even Custer ordered his men to shoot their own horses and stack the carcasses to try and form a shield or zone wall against the penetrating Saluki guards...I mean, natives. That's where the story ends. :innocent: :rant:

Comment

From Mark Turgeon, via the Wichita Eagle: "(The Salukis are) the toughest team in our league," Turgeon said. "Creighton's right there with them. That's why those two teams have been at the top and done the most. We want to be like them. But this team's the farthest from that."

That pretty much sums up our success the past six years. We're not pretty. We're not fluid. But, we don't back down from anybody. It may not be pleasing to watch but it works. I'm a pretty vocal critic of our offense on Saluki Talk but I realized something this morning - In our 24 games this year we've held second-half leads in 23 of them and got as close a a point in the 24th.

Guess what we do works. It's not a bad blueprint to follow.

Comment

I really don't like SIU but you know what you are going to get and if you aren't ready than its your own fault.

I get no enjoyment from watching them play even when they are winning a big game against a BCS school. Don't misunderstand me, I want them to win and when they do I am happy about it. I just don't want to see it happen. I'd rather shave my head with a cheese grater while chewing on tin foil.

Their fans like it and I totally understand why. Winning is fun. No matter how you get there winning is always better than losing.

The really sad thing is I'd much rather see SIU win than CU but I'll watch CU play 10 games before I'll watch 1 Saluki game.

Comment

I voted yes strictly because I admire I team that tells you what they are going to do and how they are going to do it and still comes into your house and does it to you. That is the kind of attitude and mental toughness it takes to win this league.

I also really do not like the "who we are" comments!!! We look great EVERY time we press. It appears to me that we are very good at it and it seemed to totally take SIU out of their game. If we do it every game for 3 minutes with great results, why not try it for 5 minutes one time???

Comment

Originally posted by MSNSaluki
              From Mark Turgeon, via the Wichita Eagle: "(The Salukis are) the toughest team in our league," Turgeon said. "Creighton's right there with them. That's why those two teams have been at the top and done the most. We want to be like them. But this team's the farthest from that."

That pretty much sums up our success the past six years. We're not pretty. We're not fluid. But, we don't back down from anybody. It may not be pleasing to watch but it works. I'm a pretty vocal critic of our offense on Saluki Talk but I realized something this morning - In our 24 games this year we've held second-half leads in 23 of them and got as close a a point in the 24th.

I can't disagree. I don't think that really addresses the issue at hand...

Is it fun basketball to watch and to be a fan of? As someone else said (too lazy for the quote button), watching wins is always fun. Is that what it boils down to, honestly?

Comment

They will be when they shutdown the BCS schools come tourney time!

:D :D :posterwsu: :D :D
                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I enjoying watching a team give a 100% of what they've got and that's what SIU normally does. I hate to see the shocks lose, but the other night we did a lot less on the floor, with more talent and that's definitely not fun to watch! SIU busted their butts and it paid off. I asked my wife to watch only Tatum and what his team does for him when SIU was on offense at our end of the court. Her remark was "Wow". I love our Shocks and it may not be our "style", but I'd like to see SO and the team work that hard to get him free. Who knows how many open shots he would get and he's a much better shooter than Tatum. And if a big man switches out to come get him, with our ability to get assists, there could be a lot of gimmies inside for our big guys.

I always told young kids that I coached that there is a big difference between "losing" and "getting beat". If you give it your very best from buzzer to buzzer, your a winner no matter the outcome of the game. I always loved to watch the Princeton teams from a number of years back give fits to much more athletic teams.

SUI's low scoring game style is definitely not my style, but as another poster said, it's amazing that you know exactly what they're going to do and yet they can be so hard to beat. That's execution, that's winning, and that may just happen to be fun to watch.

:goshocks:

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11
                    They will be when they shutdown the BCS schools come tourney time!

:D :D :posterwsu: :D :D
                    What is strange is I thought I made a post discussing that but either I never posted it or I can't find it. I really felt that after watching the 3 SIU games I have seen this season that when it comes time to play in the tourney, unless they get a great seed like we did last year, will get destroyed.

I hope I am wrong. I want SIU to make a run to the final four so that when WSU sweeps them next year, it is as sweet as it is for them to sweep us this year.

Comment

SIU is like a guy who's playing a video game with a "cheat code" or something. The guy who keeps beating you in Madden because he calls the same pass play over and over, and due to some glitch in the programmed AI of your defensive players, he scores a touchdown every play.

It's normally a play he intentionally breaks--like a pass play he'll run the quarterback on, or a halfback option he'll make the QB keep--essentially bending the rules to the point that you wonder if that's the sole reason he plays the game.

Is it "legal"? Sure.

Is it fun to watch? No.
                      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood
                        Originally posted by MSNSaluki

I can't disagree. I don't think that really addresses the issue at hand...

Is it fun basketball to watch and to be a fan of? As someone else said (too lazy for the quote button), watching wins is always fun. Is that what it boils down to, honestly?
                        Is our style fun to watch? No. Am I a fan of our style? No. I sat in my recliner Wednesday night and watched the SIU game with Bradley and couldn't believe some of the things I was seeing. We got up 19 points and could have won by 30 but let Bradley creep back into the game. I'm ripping our bad shot selections and GodInvisiShaw after the game was over when my wife asked, "Can't you just be happy SIU won?"

You know, she was right. We are 20-5. So, it is all about the wins. I guarantee you when our style doesn't work anymore, you'll see something different in Carbondale but not until. And, that's fine with most Saluki fans.

And I do have to disagree with Rosewood: I think SIU's style will allow it to play with anybody come the NCAAs. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it but if we get a seed in the area that's being projected at the moment, I think we have a great chance to make some noise.

Of course, we could lose 37-36 in the first round, too. 8)

Comment

This is about the same relevance and as the "Bringing back football" thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                            This is about the same relevance and as the "Bringing back football" thread.
                            And the answer is still...

(Feel free to remove if necessary, mods :P)
                            Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Forgot about Rosewood

Comment

Your mom’s fun to watch
                                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Working...
                                X